Primer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chance2012

Reaction score
I have a g series 50 caliber whitetail and live in South Florida with the high humidity what's the best primer percussion cap to use the 11 or the 209 and is it worth the upgrade

I would imagine that either one would be ok. It's the powder that you have to be careful with.
209 primers are pretty scarce these days. You can get # 11's and musket caps though.

I would imagine that either one would be ok. It's the powder that you have to be careful with.
209 primers are pretty scarce these days. You can get # 11's and musket caps though.
Never happen by me ,any primers are non existence . Anything you have is what you use ,choice is not an option ,unless it's what color is your flint ?/Ed

Nothing wrong with #11 if you stay with powder. Doc perfered #11 due to the caps blowing apart on the nipple vs a 209 needing to be removed. He felt it allowed for quicker reloads.

Quik in reloading muzzle loaders ? That don't sound right , used in the same sentence . /Ed
Been there, done that: Went back to #11 caps. Changing to 209 primers only made my rifles dirtier.
Perhaps I should try #11 s as I still have a couple thou ,as CCI 209 primers are all I have used in side locks for 8-10 yrs but I"m not sure how long for sure (maybe more) it -I"m getting old ? Ed

You get something in your head like a 209 has got to be better because of the modern guns all used them. In reality, the #11’s just flat get it done without fail. Lord knows I’ve traveled that road only to end up where I started.

I’ve always used #11’s with no issues. The only issue I have with them is at the end of the day hunting sometimes they are hard to remove and may have to use a knife or something to scrape them off. With that said being the fit so snug, I don’t have to worry about inclement weather. When I take my grandsons hunting I have them use Musket caps, naturally with Musket nipples. It’s easier for them to put them on and remove them with their fingers. Therefore, I feel for them it’s safer.

I always carry my Leatherman and use the needle nose pliers when I want to remove #11 primer.

Latest posts

Back