Primers and reloading

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been reloading for about a year now and follow the book data I have. I have come apon an issue though. I can't find any Federal 210 large rifle primers locally. I was able to purchase CCI large rifle primers. How much of a difference will this make.

I've found little if any when loading CF 30-06 and none with the .450 Bushmaster. I notice more difference with the different magnum CF primer brands.

Hornet22savage said:
I have been reloading for about a year now and follow the book data I have. I have come apon an issue though. I can't find any Federal 210 large rifle primers locally. I was able to purchase CCI large rifle primers. How much of a difference will this make.

It will make no difference whatsoever

Agree, I have also not found much difference in the standard LR Primers for CF calibers. The single component causing the most good or bad in my reloads continues to be the bullet used.

But . . . the Fed 210s have such a great reputation that given my choice, I always use them if I got 'em.

I have used every primer out there, if i were to choose a Brand and stick with it, i would probably go With Federal Primers. The Fed 215s are the Hottest Magnum primer on the Market (unless something new has recently took it’s place?) I have tested Magnum Rifle Loads using Fed 215s vs Winchester LRM, and CCi 250s, I have yet to tell any Difference. I have been Avidly Handloading CF Since i was 15 Years old (Little over 30 Years now)

I will say CCi Primers are the Hardest to Set off, If you have a weak Firing Pin Spring, or have lightened the Springs on Say a Double action Revolver for a Lighter Trigger pull, i Would Avoid CCi primers, i have seen a Revolver (Ruger GP-100) Fail to Set off CCi’s Reliably after a Wolf Spring kit was used, This was a Close friends Gun, Whom i had warned about Lightening springs :D I am dead against lightening Springs up, It is a “Bandaid” Fix for a lighter Trigger Pull. Tear the Gun apart and do it Right, By fixing the Sear/Hammer engagement, Then Put your Heavy Factory Springs back in place :yeah:

Idaholewis said:
I have used every primer out there, if i were to choose a Brand and stick with it, i would probably go With Federal Primers. The Fed 215s are the Hottest Magnum primer on the Market (unless something new has recently took it’s place?)………..
Tend to agree ;)
I had at one time a test that some independent lab completed with CF primers and the results were as you indicated. One other thing, the Federal 215M (match) primers, were the TOP for consistency.

Winchester LR Magnum primers are the hottest LR primer on the market. Federal at one time back in the day had the hottest LR mag primer, they developed it for Weatherby. Remington 9 1/2's are the coolest regular LR primer and the 9 1/2 Magnums are the coolest LR mag primer.

Back