Primers for Blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTProf

Reaction score
Sorry if this question has been asked and answered somewhere before, but what is everyone using for primers with Blackhorn 209 powder? I am shooting a CVA Wolf if that makes any difference. Thanks, everyone.

I use winchester w-209 strictly for everything, and never had an issue. but most any magnum type works. Blackpowder specific primers are built LESS hot to counter the se7en crud ring.

You want a hotter primer.
Either Federal 209A or CCI 209M, use the one that has a combination of best fit and least amount of blowback.
The (m) stands for magnum. Don;t confuse it with the regular CCI 209

Thanks, everyone. The Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop have Winchester Triple 7 209 primers. Are these the same thing, or something different?

I must say today is the first day I got to try bh209 in my new prohunter.
all I have to say is I cant believe I didn't try it before. it does everything people said it would do.
I cant believe how it was. the lack of fouling in the barrel. no need to swab. I know I didn't believe it to today.
I was shooting 110 grains of it over a tc shockwaves . I got to the 10th shot and still pretty easy. after that I ran
a patch down the bore. as I was doing it I was saying to myself here we go I am going to get the ramrod stuck for sure
to my surprise it didn't. this stuff is great. worth the extra money for it.

as far as primers I was using Winchester 209 because I cant find cci 209m's of the federal's no miss or hang fires.

NTProf said:
Thanks, everyone. The Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop have Winchester Triple 7 209 primers. Are these the same thing, or something different?
if your using triple 7. I don't think there hot enough for blackhorn. and if you go to black horns web page im pretty sure the tell you not to use that one.

NTProf said:
Those are not the W209 primers others have mentioned using for Blackhorn. The 777 primers are reduced heat so for to reduce the crud ring made by 777 powder. They will not reliably ignite Blackhorn in just about any rifle. What you need is a regular shotgun primer, not a primer intended for muzzle loaders.

I have one gun that uses the W209 (Blue Box) and another one that uses the Rem STS. I have left my gun loaded in my car in temps to -10 deg, took the gun out and if fired right off.

I hear nothing but good things about Blackhorn 209 but I haven't tried it yet. How easy does it clean up?

NTProf said:
No, not the same thing. Like Ron said the Win 777 primer is reduced heat for 777 powders. You want the Standard Win209 shotgun primer, I think they are still in the Blue box. At Cabela's or Bass Pro look in the reloading section where the Primers for Reloading shotgun and centerfire rifles are. For Black Horn 209 powder stick with a standard shotgun primer, Not the primers that are made for Muzzleloaders.

To clean your rifle when using Black horn 209, you use a solvent just like you would on a centerfire. Hoppies, Butches, etc. run a dry patch through the bore first to remove the dry ash left from BH209. Then follow that with the solvent patches. Use an 1/8 or 3mm drill bit (SPUN BY HAND) (size depends on the make of your rifle) and it will scrape the carbon fouling out of the flash channel of the breech plug (Larger hole under the primer) then clean with solvent.

The primers are rarely the problem, on many guns the Breach Plug must be remodeled or replaced. With a good working BP you can use whatever primer fits well enough to stop the blow back on my TC guns that's a Win 209 its slightly longer than the others.

Thanks, everyone. I get it now. I was only looking in the Muzzleloading section at Cabelas yesterday at primers. I went on their website last night and found the shotgun W-209 primers. So next time I will know where to look.

NTProf said:
Thanks, everyone. I get it now. I was only looking in the Muzzleloading section at Cabelas yesterday at primers. I went on their website last night and found the shotgun W-209 primers. So next time I will know where to look.

I have not read all of the posts so I may be spouting old information... The W-209 is a very good primer for igniting BH-209 - IF the breech plug in your rifle is designed for the use of BH. The original BP in your Wolf may not be. If it is the older hex head BP unless it has been modified you may run into problem with a W-209 - well actually any primer eventually. If it is a newer finger screw type then you will eventually want to modify or purchase a BH compatible plug. Bothe CVA and Western offer these plugs. I believe Western Powders offers the better of the two plugs, by better I mean more efficient and maybe even stronger.

Just a couple of extra thoughts...

Thanks for all the info. Yes, it is a new Wolf and I replaced the plug with a Blackhorn plug to shoot Blackhorn powder.

I have not read all of the posts so I may be spouting old information... The W-209 is a very good primer for igniting BH-209 - IF the breech plug in your rifle is designed for the use of BH. The original BP in your Wolf may not be. If it is the older hex head BP unless it has been modified you may run into problem with a W-209 - well actually any primer eventually. If it is a newer finger screw type then you will eventually want to modify or purchase a BH compatible plug. Bothe CVA and Western offer these plugs. I believe Western Powders offers the better of the two plugs, by better I mean more efficient and maybe even stronger.

Just a couple of extra thoughts...
Do you know if those W209 primers will work with the Knight Ultralite? Using the BH powder.

I guess I am going against the grain here but I switched from Fed 209A to Cheddite 209 Primers they are working perfectly and they were cheap
I still get the crush on the primer but like the fed's, which were actually hard to close the bolt, these fire and with a turn sideways and a bit of a shake fall rite out of barrel

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back