PRIMERS . Small vs Magnum vs Sm Rifle in Pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe that the milspec primers (cci #41) are the primers that will ftf from a light strike. I think theyre designed to have a larger internal space so they dont fire from a rebound strike in some situations, iirc

MM,
You heard right. Using a 41 especially in a pistol can definitely have a FTF ( handgun jargon ) fail to fire. Harder cup.
AR’s have a floating fire pin.Once you release the bcg from a held back or in regular firing on a round it will leave a small firing pin mark on the primer.
No place for a thin skinned primer cup. Like using a regular pistol primer .
Mike in the video does in fact mention the primer cup hardness of small rifle primers and that some lighter tuned pistols might not strike hard enough.
Stock 45 1911 springs on most are 23 lbs. I tried as low as 16 lbs (not a norm ). At 19lbs I still had 100% with small rifle primers. After that sporadic and hammer fall became expectedly lethargic.Didn’t try 41’s in my trials. So no need.
Just a neat video by a ammunition manufacturer
Appreciate you taking time to read my post and your replies.

MM,
You heard right. Using a 41 especially in a pistol can definitely have a FTF ( handgun jargon ) fail to fire. Harder cup.
AR’s have a floating fire pin.Once you release the bcg from a held back or in regular firing on a round it will leave a small firing pin mark on the primer.
No place for a thin skinned primer cup. Like using a regular pistol primer .
Mike in the video does in fact mention the primer cup hardness of small rifle primers and that some lighter tuned pistols might not strike hard enough.
Stock 45 1911 springs on most are 23 lbs. I tried as low as 16 lbs (not a norm ). At 19lbs I still had 100% with small rifle primers. After that sporadic and hammer fall became expectedly lethargic.Didn’t try 41’s in my trials. So no need.
Just a neat video by a ammunition manufacturer
Appreciate you taking time to read my post and your replies.

I put an extra power firing pin spring in my Springfield XD 9, so that I can use other primers if necessary.

Biggest and main concern was PSI. For most.
Probably will be a lot more reloads with other than listed primers being loaded. With the scarcity of.

Latest posts

Back