Primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperKirby

Reaction score
Yeah I know, another primer thread. This one is a little different.

My father-in-law passed almost 7 years ago now. I inherited most of his gun stuff. In the years that I knew him he had a lot of guns but very rarely shot any of them. It's my understanding that in his younger years he shot excessively and reloaded most of what he shot. I recently started trying to sort through all his stuff and clean everything to get it back to a state of usefulness. Years of sitting in a room has led to untold amounts of dust and cobwebs. Fortunately he stored everything reasonably well. Last night as I was going through things I found a brown metal box.

IMG_0767.jpg
Total there's probably around 6000 primers. 3000 of them are 209's, though I'm not super familiar with them. My understanding is the Trap and Skeet primers are the same as the current CCI non-mag 209's. I didn't know VV ever made primers and had never heard of Alcans. From what I can find the Alcan 220 max fire are has hot or a little more so than Fed 209A's. The limited information I could find was that loaded in shotshells one needed to stay away from max loads however they work extremely well in a muzzleloader.

I still have a lot to go through. I wonder what else I'll find?

Those old boxes are really cool. Even if you never shoot those primers they may look pretty cool in some kind of display case in the gun room.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Not sure how much I'll ever actually use them. Maybe someday I'll find the time to sit and reload but who knows.

Latest posts

Back