Problem pulling a No Excuses bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveheffner110

SWOregon
Reaction score
I have a TC Black Mountain Magnum 50 cal. and I must have loaded a no charge bullet. I left the range after 4 ftf attemps with Noble Musket Caps. When I got home I mounted my Mag 209 primer nipple and attempted to discharge the gun. Nothing. A second attempt also failed.

I removed the Mag nipple and cleaned up the threads of my Musket nipple, placed some 3f into the snail tube, remounted the nipple and attempted a push load. No fire.

So now it was time to extract the 420 gr. No Excuses bullet. I have not had any success with getting the jag to seat into the top of the bullet. I tapped on the range rod to dent the bullet and set the threads but only ended up bending the jag. I am a little frustrated now.

So I need to locate a hard bullet jag or pursue getting the breech removed. Help with suggestions. The bullet must be mounted down to the snail/flame channel, and it is on a Ox-yoke wool wad. I was in the process of loading the conicals with 80 gr. of 2f Goex, and moving my peep sight up. Only three shots were taken at the range, and stops to check targets must have got me off track.

Dave Heffner
Roseburg, OR

If you get real desperate;
- get a 7/16" wood dowel
- with a 1/8" high speed drill bit, drill a hole about an inch and a half deep in one end of the dowel
- epoxy the butt end of the 1/8" bit into the hole in the dowel
- use the dowel/drill bit assembly to drill a hole into the nose of the bullet, twisting by hand
- it will be a slow process because you will need to drill about 1/4" at a time then pull the drill rod
from the barrel to remove accumulated lead
- squirt some lubricant down the bore
- use a good quality rod to screw the bullet puller into the hole in the bullet nose
- PULL HARD 😁

Last edited:
I agree with @deermanok

Make sure the Bullet is Seated against the Breechplug Shoulder, Ad More powder under the Nipple, Keep sprinkling it in until it is Full (probably 30-40 Grains) Now fire it

Last edited:
Agree with above advice....how i dislodged a round ball, the previous owner neglected to put in piwder charge....why i got it so cheap...

Might need a little vibration/ tapping the gun/toothpick to feed the powder in. Use a fine powder so it will feed through the hole easier.

Powder under the nipple will work. I use a nipple pick to help push the powder through the nipple threads. It is easy to get distracted in the middle of loading. Probably why Accuras with the easily removable breechplug are so popular. Be aware, if you fill it with powder, it may shoot the bullet 25-50 yards. I don't recommend doing it inside.

Air might push it out. I use air to unload my rifles a lot. If it is truly stuck you can use a grease zerk to push it. I have done this method on a bullet stuck in my friends gun for about 20+ years. As the grease started to pressure up it just popped and the bullet shot almost out the barrel. In my case very little grease was actually pumped into the barrel. A stuck bullet can not stay stuck with this method.

An aside to my original response...i used goex real BP to ensure ignition...fffg....flash pan powder.....fast burn in a small space....what you need to develop enough pressure

I would also highly recommend removing the nipple and getting as much powder in it as you can, put nipple back in and attempt to fire it out. At a range, it will come out with quite a bit of velocity if it goes.
But another method is to get a grease gun and zerk with the same threads at your nipple, thread zerk into nipple threads and then pump grease until it pushes it out. Makes a heck of a mess to clean up but I read it is a high success method. Otherwise you're taking it to a smith to have the breech plug removed.
But absolutely try powder under the nipple first. If it doesn't go the first time, keep trying. Make sure to reseat the bullet to the bottom before each attempt in case the previous attempt moved it up the bore some.

A rubber tipped blow gun for an air compressor might blow it out also, with the nipple out. Easiest though is as described, powder under the nipple and fire it. If it moves but doesn’t come out, trickle as much powder (up to 20-30 grains) as you can get under it before you shove it back down. If you can get 20 grains under it, it will definitely come out.
I’d put a piece of tape on the ramrod to mark its location so you can see if you’re making progress.

Interesting collection of procedures. Here is where I am today:

I purchased a couple of dowels and a new drill bit. While that was setting the glue, I moved out to the reloading room to attempt to dislodge the bullet with a small charge.
The dowel was marked at the seated bullet and removed to compare to the barrel. The dowel shows that the bullet and its wad are well down in the barrel, so far that no powder is present.

Two more attempts to place 3f powder below the nipple. This snail/flame channel is really short. I don't think I'm getting enough powder to do anything. The wad must be taking all of the small charge. I will attempt to drill a starter hole in the bullet tomorrow.

I will also try to find a grease zerk fitting with a 1/4-28 pattern.

I lubed the barrel today while the glue was setting on the drill/dowel.

Before I attempt the drill bit routine, I will show everyone the place where the bullet is seated with my witness mark on the dowel.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone is amazing about offering guidance. I hope someone else will benefit from this post.

It shouldn’t take more than a few Grains of Real Blackpowder to Spit the Bullet out

1/4-28 Grease Zerks are common, and can be found in most any auto parts Store, our Ace Hardware carries them as well. I have used This method to Dislodge a BADLY stuck Patched Jag in a Rotted out Renegade Barrel. It works very well. Just a few pumps on the Grease Gun and it Starts Moving!

For a Breech Plug like the Hawkens and Renegades you need a Long Zerk in order for the Grease gun nozzle to Fit on, a standard short Zerk will sit to low and the Grease Gun nozzle will hit the Snail. But on a Black Mountain Magnum I don’t think that’s gonna be a Problem as they don’t have that “Inset Lip”, If i remember Correctly the Black Mountain Magnum looks just like the TC New Englander, which is TOTALLY different than a TC Renegade & Hawken.

Here is a long 1/4-28 and a Regular. As i said above, The long is required for a TC Renegade, Hawken, GM Barrel Etc.
WAEpz6h.jpg

Latest posts

Back