Problems today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomme boy

Reaction score
I went out today to test a new to me ML. It is a LHR Redemption in 50cal. I have the 415-I bullet mold and casted up about 100 of these from 40:1 lead tin alloy. I then lubed then and sized them to 0.501" The lube is bees wax and olive oil.

The bullets are a nice slide down. Not loose but not tight at all. I also use a 0.520" 1/8" thick lubed felt wad between the powder and conical. I have Swiss 2f powder. I weighed out 80grs in vials.

Anyway, i was able to get 3 shots before I had to stop. The 4" past the breech plug was so fouled up I could not get it cleaned at the range. What I do is load the gun for the first shot. Then after that I put a patch over the seating jag wetted with TC bore cleaner. The white liquid stuff. I then seat the bullet and swab at the same time. I have always done this with my guns and have never had any problems. My other 50cal I can shoot 30 rounds before I actually clean it like normal.

Things that are different than before with other guns. One the new gun. Two, using Swiss powder. Never used it before. Three, the lube, I have always used TC Bore Butter and have never had a problem. Four, sizing the bullets smaller. I have always ran them what ever size came out of the mold.

But the main issue is the fouling. I have NEVER experienced this like this before. Anyone have a clue as to what I might be looking for to stop this?

I went out today to test a new to me ML. It is a LHR Redemption in 50cal. I have the 415-I bullet mold and casted up about 100 of these from 40:1 lead tin alloy. I then lubed then and sized them to 0.501" The lube is bees wax and olive oil.

The bullets are a nice slide down. Not loose but not tight at all. I also use a 0.520" 1/8" thick lubed felt wad between the powder and conical. I have Swiss 2f powder. I weighed out 80grs in vials.

Anyway, i was able to get 3 shots before I had to stop. The 4" past the breech plug was so fouled up I could not get it cleaned at the range. What I do is load the gun for the first shot. Then after that I put a patch over the seating jag wetted with TC bore cleaner. The white liquid stuff. I then seat the bullet and swab at the same time. I have always done this with my guns and have never had any problems. My other 50cal I can shoot 30 rounds before I actually clean it like normal.

Things that are different than before with other guns. One the new gun. Two, using Swiss powder. Never used it before. Three, the lube, I have always used TC Bore Butter and have never had a problem. Four, sizing the bullets smaller. I have always ran them what ever size came out of the mold.

But the main issue is the fouling. I have NEVER experienced this like this before. Anyone have a clue as to what I might be looking for to stop this?
Sizing is probably your issue ,thats how I got a CVA V2 50 to shoot great ! The seller sold that gun because it was (OVER BORE) and I got it shooting (GREAT) with an Accurate 50 Cal (eye) bullet as dropped in
pure diameter is 506 and that solved that accuracy issue . Where the gun and me hated anything sized , sabots worked well as excpected /just sayin Ed

Latest posts

Back