Productive weekend on Prince William Sound...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaskagrizz49

Reaction score
New to this forum and see the fishing/boating topic is covered here as well, so thought I would pass this along from Alaska. This pic is of my son (hoodie/shorts) and his buddy with a boatload of Alaskan Halibut! They did an overnight on Eastern PWS last weekend, and found the perfect “honey hole” for Big Butt!! 3 over 100lbs. and ended up with about 350lbs. of prime flattie fillets all total, the weather and fishing were great!!

Attachments

• FBC62847-6A5F-472E-838C-D514C0E791C2.jpeg
    FBC62847-6A5F-472E-838C-D514C0E791C2.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Wow! Nice!! I went to AK for salmon in 1999, the limit was 6 per day then, got my limit. We could only bring back 50lbs./cooler on the plane. I have been spoiled since in catching the hatchery trout we have here, no compairson.

Wow! Nice!! I went to AK for salmon in 1999, the limit was 6 per day then, got my limit. We could only bring back 50lbs./cooler on the plane. I have been spoiled since in catching the hatchery trout we have here, no compairson.

Come to Michigan bring three more fisherman, Charter out of Manistee, or Ludington. You would need four guys to carry it all home. Kings, Coho, Steelhead, Lake Trout.

New to this forum and see the fishing/boating topic is covered here as well, so thought I would pass this along from Alaska. This pic is of my son (hoodie/shorts) and his buddy with a boatload of Alaskan Halibut! They did an overnight on Eastern PWS last weekend, and found the perfect “honey hole” for Big Butt!! 3 over 100lbs. and ended up with about 350lbs. of prime flattie fillets all total, the weather and fishing were great!!
Thats awesome. Up until my youngest brother got stationed in Fairbanks for 3yrs my fav fish were yellowfin tuna & swordfish. But my lil bro hooked me up with some halibut. WOW! He cut it up into big bite size chunks, beer batter & deep fried them & we made some spicy tartar sauce for dippin & plenty of good german beer. We all ate till we were near exploding, everyone was with pants & belts undone. LOL
I've only been to the Salmon river in Ny fishin for salmon & trout ( I've fished for trout all over Md. Va. Pa. Wva ) I caught my salmon limit every time but gave it all away bc I just do not like it at all, king or spanish mackerel too, blue fish too BLAAAAHHH. I love fishin for just about anything & have fished for many diff fish in both fresh & salt water.

alaskagrizz49, NICE Halibut!! I have never fished for them. Growing up on the Wa Coast, I cut my Teeth Salmon and Steelhead fishing, I moved here to North Idaho 10 Years ago and haven’t Fished for them Since, I miss that part of the Wa Coast, But that’s ALL i miss! :) What a ZOO over there!

The man I worked for in Anchorage needed a tax write off, and something else to do in the summer, so he applied for, and got a fishing permit in Prince William Sound for crab and halibut. This was 1982.

At the end of the season I was invited for a 3-day sail from Whittier, where the boat was docked while working; to Seward where it would be kept for the winter months.

In the first hour of the trip we saw a family of sea otters, with one of the adults cracking a mollusk on its stomach, and feeding the baby.

Then a pod of porpoises played off the bow for a few minutes. My boss was just remarking that they usually hung around for a while longer than just a couple of minutes, when we found ourselves in the center of a pod of about 20 Orcas.

Which explained why the porpoises hightailed it out of there. My boss, who was a Type-A control freak, started getting REAL WORRIED. Mainly because the baby/juvenile of the pod decided to PLAY underneath the boat's prop by undulating up and down.

My boss figured that the boat' s hull (fiberglass) was going to be stoved in by a pack of pissed off KILLER WHALES when the baby got cut on the prop.

To make matters worse, the baby's mother and the alpha female were standing station off the stern so close to the port and starboard corners of the transom, that I (at 5'9" tall) could have reached out and grabbed either of their dorsal fins, had someone held me by the belt while I hooked both boots over the rail.

This went on for about 30 minutes, with the baby orca only pausing to sound for air. Then it was right back under the prop.

My boss was really sweating things because he was 1 Survival Suit short for the number of people on the boat. A HUGE Coast Guard NO-NO!!!!

By all rights, one of us should not have been on board.

After the killer whales left it was just the anti-climatic, typical Alaskan stuff. More sea otters, golden eagles in abundance, moose on the shoreline, wolves howling at night when we anchored.

No big deal. NOT!!

On of the best trips in my life, from a real generous boss.

Edit:

Of course, the orcas with their superb echo location knew EXACTLY WHERE THEY, THE 2 ADULT FEMALES, AND THE BABY WERE AT ALL TIMES. The momma was never going to let her baby get hurt by the boat's propeller.

We kept trying to tell my boss that, but he never quite bought into it. Needless to say that baby orca had a great time.

This was pre-Exxon Valdez. It really tore my guts out when I heard, and saw what had happened to Prince William Sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fishhawk2700...I grew up in Michigan and am quite familiar with the excellent fishing opportunities there, nice pics!

Alaska and the halibut are a bucket list trip for me.nice pictures
Yep same here, I'm all kinda kickin myself in the hind parts for not makin it out to Ak. during the 3yrs My youngest brother was stationed in Fairbanks for WO school. I'll prob never make it happen at this late a stage in my life. But one can dream huh.

Craw and Ninering62, it’s never too late to make the trip. Even if a guy can’t get out to hunt and fish much anymore, Alaska truly is still the very special place Americans believe it to be!!

Yep same here, I'm all kinda kickin myself in the hind parts for not makin it out to Ak. during the 3yrs My youngest brother was stationed in Fairbanks for WO school. I'll prob never make it happen at this late a stage in my life. But one can dream huh.
Put all yer stuff in storage or have a friend hang on to it all and hitch hike your self up there. Cant get worse than where yer at now brother.

Put all yer stuff in storage or have a friend hang on to it all and hitch hike your self up there. Cant get worse than where yer at now brother.
Gettin outta the fam's place ( Alaska cold - on the inside ) down here, got zero friends down here to help me or store what crap I have left, I have my 31yr old macaw to consider & bein broke, old & in fairly poor health I just don't see hitch hikin from Fl to Ak with nuthin & no one there for me workin out to well. Thats something I really shoulda done when I was in my 20's or 30's when I was strong, healthy & wild as hell. But I am pursuing gettin the heck away from these toxic freakin ppl I have to call fam & far far away from all the biblebelt zealots like them.

Latest posts

Back