Projectiles for modern inlines

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half-Cocked

Reaction score
Ok please help me understand. .50 cal bore means
1. I can shoot .50 slugs like power belts.

2. I can fire .45 muzzleloader saboted bullets.

3. I can fire .45 reload bullets used for modern firearms cartridges with the use of a sabot.

4. I can use a .45 lead ball and wad material.

Which of these has the flatest trajectory? I hear the .45 Hornady is the flattest trajectory but that could be marketing. Are the all 250 or 300 grain? Anything lighter?

Also if you can use reload bullets what about say a 9mm bullet? Can you only use 45?

sorry about all the questions want to make sure I understand what this rifles is capable of.

Common sabots are....
50x458.....you use the bullets used for reloading 45/70. Usually the 300gr-325gr bullets. These sabots are normally orange but not always.
50x45.......you use bullets ranging from .450-.452. Usually from 200gr to about 300gr. These sabots are normally black or red but not always.
50x44...you use bullets for 44mag and 444Marlin. Usually from 200gr to about 300gr also. These sabots are normally green.
50x40.......you use 40cal/10mm handgun bullets. Normally 200gr or more but there are a couple lighter ones that work. These sabots are either tan, brown or blue.

50x475 but its a very uncommon sabot made by Harvester. It never became popular. The petals are extremely thin. You would use 275gr to 325gr bullets for 480 Ruger.

There is no sabot for 9mm/357 in 50cal. There is a duplex sabot that is actually a 45x357 sabot inside a 50x45 sabot.

OK Gab, I shoot a CVA Accura V2 50 cal with a Nitride barrel. No scope! Peep rear with a Lyman front using inserts. My favorite hunting load is, a 300 gr Speer Deep Curl in a Black Harvester crush rib sabot over 77 weighed gr BH209.

Common sabots are....
50x458.....you use the bullets used for reloading 45/70. Usually the 300gr-325gr bullets. These sabots are normally orange but not always.
50x45.......you use bullets ranging from .450-.452. Usually from 200gr to about 300gr. These sabots are normally black or red but not always.
50x44...you use bullets for 44mag and 444Marlin. Usually from 200gr to about 300gr also. These sabots are normally green.
50x40.......you use 40cal/10mm handgun bullets. Normally 200gr or more but there are a couple lighter ones that work. These sabots are either tan, brown or blue.

50x475 but its a very uncommon sabot made by Harvester. It never became popular. The petals are extremely thin. You would use 275gr to 325gr bullets for 480 Ruger.

There is no sabot for 9mm/357 in 50cal. There is a duplex sabot that is actually a 45x357 sabot inside a 50x45 sabot.
OK Gab, I shoot a CVA Accura V2 50 cal with a Nitride barrel. No scope! Peep rear with a Lyman front using inserts. My favorite hunting load is, a 300 gr Speer Deep Curl in a Black Harvester crush rib sabot over 77 weighed gr BH209.

Excellent information guys! MSalyards that sounds like an awesome deer hunting combo. I like that copper coat interesting design. I assume so so the copper jacket won't separate immediately.

so gentlemen what would you suggest for somebody who wanted to use a very light load in a 50 cal for just punching holes and targets that's looking for the flattest trajectory possible?

So many options out there that it's making me dizzy. can you tell you that the majority of the time I'm going to be using this muzzleloader to punch holes in paper. To that end I'd like to see what this little CVA wolf can do.

I like to shoot what I hunt with. The Deep Curls are not that expensive ($16.00 + - a box). This pic is not mine but I saved it to show the bullet.View attachment 9503
That looks gnarly. I hear you on shooting what you hunt with.

Looking like the heavier the bullet the more accurate. Those pics kind of remind me of the razor talon bullets I used to buy.

So many options it makes my head spin. I here federals coming out with something new. It's a sealed plastic loose powder filled sabbat the fits in the breach in the back of the plastic sabot takes a 209 primer shell. Supposed to be fired with the special gun that's made for it. Can't recall which it is.

So if I understand this right kind of like electricians wire caps we have Sabots in different sizes for different sized bullets? What there being some standard in color but not really. Lol

The most popular saboted sizes being listed above. So any number of 45 bullets or 10 mm bullets would fit in they're appropriate Sabot. Leaving me with a ton of experimentation with bullets calibers charge sizes different primers. this all started with the $200 gun but I have a feeling it's going to be very expensive.

I here federals coming out with something new. It's a sealed plastic loose powder filled sabbat the fits in the breach in the back of the plastic sabot takes a 209 primer shell. Supposed to be fired with the special gun that's made for it. Can't recall which it is.

That Federal "FiddleStick" only fits the Traditions NitroFire rifle. At this time there are no plans to release the powder they use by itself. $2.70 per shot and thats just for the FiddleStick.

That Federal "FiddleStick" only fits the Traditions NitroFire rifle. At this time there are no plans to release the powder they use by itself. $2.70 per shot and thats just for the FiddleStick.
Yeah I imagine it'd be pretty expensive per shot. I can't see the advantages though it's a sealed cartridge so you don't have to worry about leaving a charge in there. that will be useful while hunting or if a black powder rifle was your only form of Home defense.

with all the 45 caliber reload bullets out there though I'm sure I'll be able to find something with a good ballistic coefficient. Brings up another question how does ballistic coefficient relate to muzzle velocity. I mean no matter how ballistically coefficient a bullet if it's fired at the wrong FPS it could yawn spin wrong right?

To break the rifle in I might just do an out of the box simple Sabot bullet pellet combo. Like something from Hornady. Or something like the cheap shot.

Once I find a good source of black powder if I can find it here locally I want to start experimenting with sabots can reload bullets.

So any number of 45 bullets or 10 mm bullets would fit in they're appropriate Sabot. Leaving me with a ton of experimentation with bullets calibers charge sizes different primers. this all started with the $200 gun but I have a feeling it's going to be very expensive.

Generally speaking its easier to get the 50x45 options shooting well. 50x40 can be quite frustration. That is a lot of plastic between bullet and bore. Plus only 2 sizes to choose from. Starting with a known good sabot and some cheap bullets will get you well on your way. Speers are well known as affordable and effective hunting bullet. Harvester EZ-Loads or Crushribs will fit the vast majority of CVAs just fine.

Pellets cost more per shot. Considering you bought a Wolf...why would BC be of any concern to you?...Its not a long range rifle. BC is meaningless at 150yd or less.

Last edited:
anyone use TC cheap shots for deer hunting??

I been reading on other forums that someone did hunt deer with good success. I'm going to go take a look and see if my local the sporting goods store carries them. From everything else I've been reading their all around pretty good.

Generally speaking its easier to get the 50x45 options shooting well. 50x40 can be quite frustration. That is a lot of plastic between bullet and bore. Plus only 2 sizes to choose from. Starting with a known good sabot and some cheap bullets will get you well on your way. Speers are well known as affordable and effective hunting bullet. Harvester EZ-Loads or Crushribs will fit the vast majority of CVAs just fine.

Pellets cost more per shot. Considering you bought a Wolf...why would BC be of any concern to you?...Its not a long range rifle. BC is meaningless at 150yd or less.
I suppose these rifles do have their place I just wanted to see if I could push them to their limits. considering the cost per round might not be the thing to do this may be best just left for a hunting rifle. Lot of cool toys I want to pick up. the muzzleloader was one of them but I also want a tokarev pistol and some other modern cartridge firearms. Notice Midway has excellent prices on stuff that's actually in stock. Lots of out of stock stuff though.

Are Cheap Shots less than $13-16/50? Sabots at Midsouth/Grafs are about $6/50 so excluding shipping you are looking at no more than $22/50 plus powder.

You can buy some cute little pointy bullets directly from Harvester for around $26/50 :D They are called Scorpion PT Gold and offered in bulk 50packs without sabots.
https://harvestermuzzleloading.com/index.php/products/scorpion-pt-gold

Last edited:
Are Cheap Shots less than $13-16/50? Sabots at Midsouth/Grafs are about $6/50 so excluding shipping you are looking at no more than $22/50 plus powder.

You can buy some cute little pointy bullets directly from Harvester for around $26/50 :D They are called Scorpion PT Gold and offered in bulk 50packs without sabots.
https://harvestermuzzleloading.com/index.php/products/scorpion-pt-gold
So question I think this will work but what do you think. I realize the bullets are out of stock at the moment.
For 250 bullets it would come out to about 80 bucks with sabots. That ship to my location. Breaks down to $0.32 cost of powder is additional.

Here Are the sabots that hold 451 and 452. And the bullets.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200626-093145.png
    Screenshot_20200626-093145.png
    108.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20200626-093206.png
    Screenshot_20200626-093206.png
    117.6 KB · Views: 10
Back