Projectiles for modern inlines

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m with you muzzy! I’ve seen a lot worst... Run a wet patch in it and leave it sit for an hour. Then brush- patch! Flitz is a good mild abrasive also or just plain older toothpaste might shine her up.

I dont think It looks bad. It needs some polishing tho for sure. Could those white things just be lint from you cleaning?
Yeah that is. Looks very menacing in the video. Damn Allen brand all cloth patches too. The fact that they pre lubed with anti seize doesn't help cleaning either. Silver **** everyWhere.

The hard part 2 see is the dark spots in the lands they all look silver in the video. It's just caked-on s*** but it's caked on So bad.

It has gotten a lot better after about a hundred and fifty strokes and 25 patches later.

Want my theory? CVA gets a bunch of these barrels from Dikar in Spain to the US. The CVA rifles being assembled in Connecticut.

You are dead wrong. NOTHING CVA is assembled here anymore. Has not been since Dikar bought them years ago. Those guns are completely built in Spain.

You are dead wrong. NOTHING CVA is assembled here anymore. Has not been since Dikar bought them years ago. Those guns are completely built in Spain.
That sucks I was hoping they'd at least be assembled here in the USA. The Connecticut part in CVA must not mean much. Lol

Well shoot I wish I would have known that. I don't even think dikar knew how to build a barrel until they hired a consultant. I watch that on some plant manufacturing video for beruga or dikar. The guy was basically saying yeah without him we didn't know what we were doing.

I wonder if there are any Turkish made modern muzzleloader so I'm going to look into that. Everything Turkish I've gotten is awesome. Those boys know how to build some guns.

As cleaning the barrel, look at the Lee Shavers Barrel Cleaning method. :lewis:
Yeah that is. Looks very menacing in the video. Damn Allen brand all cloth patches too. The fact that they pre lubed with anti seize doesn't help cleaning either. Silver **** everyWhere.

The hard part 2 see is the dark spots in the lands they all look silver in the video. It's just caked-on s*** but it's caked on So bad.

It has gotten a lot better after about a hundred and fifty strokes and 25 patches later.
as stated previously, the Lee Shavers method would clean the barrel to your satisfaction.

as stated previously, the Lee Shavers method would clean the barrel to your satisfaction.
I'm going to go ahead and try that as well I just purchased some super fine steel wool.

They'll get rid of all the little burrs and stuff. I don't know why the stuff's not coming off those three lands.

If they were machined deeper due to defect no amount of polishing is going to fix that. Meaning they will always accumulate Bore gunk that will be a pain in the butt to clean.

If for some reason the grease on these three lands is just harder to remove then the rest of the barrel, then I'm fine it's just stubborn Grease.

The bore brush is circular. Once center in the bore the bristles only reach out so far.

Not only that but upon closer inspection of the lands in general on this CVA Dikar dream is interesting. You can see fine groves in the lowest parts of the cut. A real nightmare for catching black powder gun I'd imagine.

If the cutting tool used to rifle the bore was a more precision tool. the burrs would still be there but there wouldn't be roughly cut grooves in the rifling. That just seems like a bad design. in fact one would say that it's only purpose is to catch black powder in a difficult spot to clean for the purpose of accelerating Rust in the barrel. In a groove that supposed to be smooth it's got more grooves fine ones. Superfine ones from crappy machinery that will catch bits of powder.

This makes a really good argument for separating the barrel and soaking the whole thing in a tub of some type of soapy cleaner with warm water drying everything thoroughly with a hair dryer and oiling properly afterward for storage.

Yeah sorry about that that all started when I posted something about the barrel on this thread. I would say move it over to the other thread but then it would confuse the continuity.

Once again sorry about that no more barrel talk on this thread.

I’m with you muzzy! I’ve seen a lot worst... Run a wet patch in it and leave it sit for an hour. Then brush- patch! Flitz is a good mild abrasive also or just plain older toothpaste might shine her up.
Thats cool ya mentioned using Flitz. I'm a 30+yr metal worker & have done a bunch of metal polishing on all kinds of stuff & Flitz is something I've been using for more yrs than I can remember to quote. Great product.

Ok please help me understand. .50 cal bore means
1. I can shoot .50 slugs like power belts.

2. I can fire .45 muzzleloader saboted bullets.

3. I can fire .45 reload bullets used for modern firearms cartridges with the use of a sabot.

4. I can use a .45 lead ball and wad material.

Which of these has the flatest trajectory? I hear the .45 Hornady is the flattest trajectory but that could be marketing. Are the all 250 or 300 grain? Anything lighter?

Also if you can use reload bullets what about say a 9mm bullet? Can you only use 45?

sorry about all the questions want to make sure I understand what this rifles is capable of.
Thats what this forum & its many incredibly knowledgeable guys within it are here for. Great questions Hope ya get all the answers ya need. Good luck with your endeavor

Its not a cut down either. They are just not made here. Some of the really highend Bergara rifles might be. Pretty sure the entry level B-14s are made in Spain but they are excellent rifles. I would rather have one of those than a Rem700. Much nicer imo.

Thats cool ya mentioned using Flitz. I'm a 30+yr metal worker & have done a bunch of metal polishing on all kinds of stuff & Flitz is something I've been using for more yrs than I can remember to quote. Great product.

I use it as well, DARN GOOD Stuff :lewis:

Thats what this forum & its many incredibly knowledgeable guys within it are here for. Great questions Hope ya get all the answers ya need. Good luck with your endeavor

I did!
Found out I need .50cal Sabots (the obvious) and need the inner diameter to match the booolet. This is typically .451 or .452. special Sabot is required for boat tails.

Not sure what's better flat base or slightly beveled. Not sure it matters anyway because of the Sabots.

Like a well fitting bushing. The sabot is. Says Yoda.

Apologies if this is not in line with the thread, I have run hornady xtp magnum 240gn sabots with great effect on game. So far nothing has required a follow up shot. I am changing to their monoflex coppers for my inline however.

Well I just got in some of those Thor bullets in sample pack from muzzle - loader.

There are four of them but only one of them has a blue tip. seems like they should all have the blue tip like the picture. has anybody else ordered these and do you remember if they all four had blue tips.

The reason I ask is because I kind of like these ones and if I had two diameters that are close I'd want to use them both to determine which one I'd like better. course they're going to fly a little different without the aerodynamic tip.

I did!
Found out I need .50cal Sabots (the obvious) and need the inner diameter to match the booolet. This is typically .451 or .452. special Sabot is required for boat tails.

Not sure what's better flat base or slightly beveled. Not sure it matters anyway because of the Sabots.
I think most will highly recommend the flat based full bore bullets, not sure if it's as relevant in sabots. any sabot use is very limited, so I can't be of any help there. If I were still shootin a .50 cal with a faster barrel twist, I'd be shooting THOR bullets. I've sent many many powerbelts down range over many yrs & killed many critters with them as well.

Apologies if this is not in line with the thread, I have run hornady xtp magnum 240gn sabots with great effect on game. So far nothing has required a follow up shot. I am changing to their monoflex coppers for my inline however.
The XTP's are some fine bullets both in sabots & full bore. I like them as well. I've put down range about 150 180gr ETP's in 10mm I've sized to .397 to shoot in my TC Seneca .40 cal. I really like them. They are devastating as well.

Latest posts

Back