Projectiles for modern inlines

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it just me or so the muzzle loader bullets look a little cheap looking.

Now don't get me wrong I am sure they do there job. And I wouldn't want to offend anyone out there.

I mean while at our local sports store I also looked at modern cartridges. I am trying to decide a good caliber .308, 30.06, .243.

Anyway .45 bullets in general seem kinda funny looking in proportion. Like the big Bird in sesame Street of bullets.

I've always been a 9 mm or rifle round guy. Nato, 7.62 x 54/39, 8mm, .308, 50 BMG. the bullets that I saw in a muzzleloader pack just don't look the same as reload bullets they look like a cheaper quality. With power belts looking the cheapest but costing more.

When I get some more cash together after this round of purchases I will investment in reload bullets.

the cheap shots I bought seem okay there's not much variance you can do in lead.

There is an unfortunate thing in my area muzzleloader supplies are sparse and the section looks like the clearance isle.

when I went out to go get powder the first store that I went to was completely out of everything except for one or two boxes of bullets and one box of primers.

I drove across town and found a store that had one bottle of loose triple 7 quite a few pyrodex pellets packs and that's pretty much it. Along with a whole bunch of pre-packaged CVA crap they were selling for a way too much.

With there being an official muzzleloader season you would think that they have better selection of supplies for hunters especially being that it's so popular out here in Michigan.

So not only is it hard to find supplies the ones that you do fine should be clearanced buy the looks of it but are not and the muzzleloading bullets pre-packaged with sabots look really hokey. Especially in both the 45 and 50 cal.

I was shocked to see way more cartridge ammo even after Corvid. I mean way more boxes of everything.

I think the broker sporting good stores have a hard time keeping a good selection of muzzleloading supplies.

I may have to travel 30 minutes out do Cabela's. From what I understand though they don't even have loose powder out there. let's face it the prepackaged bullet combos are pretty limiting out there anyway.

Is there a problem with ordering from places like Grafs, Midsouth, Sportsmans Warehouse or the numerous other online vendors? Even Cabelas stocks some bulk bullets just not in the ML department. Walk over to the reloading area. They keep regular shotshell primers behind the gun counter at mine. You can order what you want online and pick it up at the store to save on shipping costs. They used to ship free to store.

You can certainly buy highend bullets but i cant imagine buying a $200 rifle to save money and wanting to shooting a $2 high BC bullet in it. Many of those kinds of bullets are simply too long for a 1-28 twist. You wont ever be able to shoot them fast enough to stabilize. Even a Parker Ballistic Extreme is over a buck a shot. The Parker BE 275gr will shoot in a 1-28 though and its a decent bullet.

These are the same 250gr 45cal bullets as they sell in bullet/sabot combo packs.
$33/50
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/hornady-ftx-rifle-bullets
Here are the 45LC 225gr version for $35/100. I like these mostly for just recreation but loaded down some they will kill deer
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/hornady-ftx-bullets
Cheap XTPs kill ok too $33/100 for 45-250gr or $20/50 in 300gr
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/hornady-xtp-pistol-bullets
Harvester smooth black sabots or Crushribs
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/harvester-50-caliber-sabots-per-50https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/harvester-crush-rib-50-caliber-sabots---per-50

Is there a problem with ordering from places like Grafs, Midsouth, Sportsmans Warehouse or the numerous other online vendors? Even Cabelas stocks some bulk bullets just not in the ML department. Walk over to the reloading area. They keep regular shotshell primers behind the gun counter at mine. You can order what you want online and pick it up at the store to save on shipping costs. They used to ship free to store.

You can certainly buy highend bullets but i cant imagine buying a $200 rifle to save money and wanting to shooting a $2 high BC bullet in it. Many of those kinds of bullets are simply too long for a 1-28 twist. You wont ever be able to shoot them fast enough to stabilize. Even a Parker Ballistic Extreme is over a buck a shot. The Parker BE 275gr will shoot in a 1-28 though and its a decent bullet.
This is just something with my state in general. Flint is a blighted community. many businesses are struggling to stay alive many businesses think that it's not even worth doing business with the people out here to be honest.

And as far as mail-order well you know I've had less than Grand experiences with that as of late.

I will say this I'm glad they got a stock the triple 7 if ireally needed some more I just talked to the guy he probably order some more and then I'll be there.

As far as pricing goes versus online heck yeah it's cheaper here no hazmat fee. Even with websites that say they don't charge you a hazmat fee they have a 5-pound minimum and when you break it down at least in my case you end up spending more for the 5 lb then you would if you would have just went to the local store and got a one pound container.

I know some people may not want to hear that but that's the reality. Now if I drove 30 minutes away to Cabela's they would probably have a little bit better section. I'm not sure if they carry loose powder either.

Anyway the point that I was trying to make it to stuff is available but it's like one item of each and it looks like it should be discounted for clearance.

then again some of the stores that I go into a lot of the stuff looks like that for the archery for the other sporting equipment it just looks kind of bad.

I am very anxious to try the triple 7 and they did have the Remington primers that were specific to synthetic black powder.

the one pound loose powder double f triple 7 cost $30. Which is on par with most online retailers pre hazmat fees. When you add hazmat fees and shipping the price jumps up to 45 to $50.

some things that makes absolute sense to buy online such as the powder flask and the powder measure that I purchased from Amazon. Came in a set for about $22. Versus the one type of powder loader they have their there was about $17.

I did manage to slide one of the sabots down the muzzle very easily no need for a starter glad I didn't buy one of those.

I also tested out the Thor bullets if everything is correct I have a . 500 that fits a fairly loose and easy like the Sabot. The point 501 I couldn't get in to save my life. it look like the next size up but I put a lot of force in it and I couldn't get a past the muzzle. It was wedged in there I was actually worried for a minute then I tapped it from the other side and it popped out.

Oh and one other question for people that have actually fired one of these things. does your sabbat actually stay in flight and go through the target all the way down range or does it get blown off at some point.

I only ask because if it's flying in the air with his plastic jacket on like that it can't be flying very well can it?

I've struggled and struggled to see slow motion footage of a muzzleloader that shows the sabot bullet actually exiting the muzzle. Simply can't find it.

If that's the case then I definitely probably want to go full bore even though like I said the bullets look kind of funny.

These are the same 250gr 45cal bullets as they sell in bullet/sabot combo packs.
$33/50
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/hornady-ftx-rifle-bullets
Here are the 45LC 225gr version for $35/100. I like these mostly for just recreation but loaded down some they will kill deer
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/hornady-ftx-bullets
Cheap XTPs kill ok too $33/100 for 45-250gr or $20/50 in 300gr
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/hornady-xtp-pistol-bullets
Harvester smooth black sabots or Crushribs
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/harvester-50-caliber-sabots-per-50https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/harvester-crush-rib-50-caliber-sabots---per-50
Those look like some pretty awesome choices. Next time I'm ready to buy more bullets I think I'm going to go there since that seems cheaper than online.

Its hard to imagine your Cabelas would be stocked worse than mine. We dont even have a ML only season. Mine has nearly all the common powders for MLs. Bass Pro' selection however is horrid.

Oh man now I'm going to have to go back to Dunham's and take a picture I have to do it dude you have to see this.

it just looks so sad like the wicked stepchild of sporting goods tucked away in a dark corner.

Oh and one other question for people that have actually fired one of these things. does your sabbat actually stay in flight and go through the target all the way down range or does it get blown off at some point.

Sabots release in a few feet after leaving the muzzle. Some will release faster than others.

Sabots release in a few feet after leaving the muzzle. Some will release faster than others.
Well that certainly is good news is some of those 45 bullets you were showing me look pretty good I'm definitely going to have to stock up on some of them.
The 50 cal bullets full bore a little Overkill. but if the Sabot was going to stay on all the way to the Target then I would have definitely gone with the full bore.

Not sure im seeing the overkill?...Yeah its a heavier bullet but you shoot them MUCH slower. A 420gr conical and 70-85grV of powder aint all that bad in terms of recoil. You dont need to shoot them over about 1300fps-1400fps. I love shooting bullets like that in my 45s vs sabots.

Not sure im seeing the overkill?...Yeah its a heavier bullet but you shoot them MUCH slower. A 420gr conical and 70-85grV of powder aint all that bad in terms of recoil. You dont need to shoot them over about 1300fps-1400fps. I love shooting bullets like that in my 45s vs sabots.

The 50 cal looks huge I know part of its the skirt but even without that skirt you take a look at these pics of 45 Cal next to the big old copper thor bullet.

45 caliber for boar up to elk.
50 caliber elk to bear and beyond. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_20200701_115914_3.jpg
    IMG_20200701_115914_3.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20200701_115920_2.jpg
    IMG_20200701_115920_2.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 5
Copper weighs much less than lead, so yeah its gunna be larger even in the same caliber. Isnt that rather obvious? Barnes sells a great little 225gr bullet for reloading 45LC. Its called a XPB. I can usually buy them for under a buck each in 20 packs. Killer bullet for MLs too. Lehigh has one in 230gr also. Great options for less recoil without sacrificing deer harvesting power.

Copper weighs much less than lead, so yeah its gunna be larger even in the same caliber. Isnt that rather obvious? Barnes sells a great little 225gr bullet for reloading 45LC. Its called a XPB. I can usually buy them for under a buck each in 20 packs. Killer bullet for MLs too. Lehigh has one in 230gr also. Great options for less recoil without sacrificing deer harvesting power.

Yeah no stranger to mass and density. Especially the density part if you know what I mean.
Yeah I mean it's big because it's also a 50 cal compared to 45 Cal plus I think we're comparing a 240 grain to a 300 grain anyway.

But that was my point it's a big damn bullet. Now I hear the heavier bullets actually do better we'll see.

I shoot mostly the 225gr Barnes in my only 50cal. Deer hate it. Whacks the snot out of them. When those are gone im switching to the Lehigh 230gr Controlled Fracture. I believe it to be an even better bullet than the Barnes and the price is very close.

You wont know what is better in your rifle until you go shoot it. Obsessing over trivial details is just going to make it more frustrating.

I shoot mostly the 225gr Barnes in my only 50cal. Deer hate it. Whacks the snot out of them. When those are gone im switching to the Lehigh 230gr Controlled Fracture. I believe it to be an even better bullet than the Barnes and the price is very close.

You wont know what is better in your rifle until you go shoot it. Obsessing over trivial details is just going to make it more frustrating.
Agreed my friend it's time for me to shut up and shoot. I have to wait until July 20th though. the range that I would like to go to is run by the state and won't be open till then.

I just found out I had another legal DeLay so any modern the cartridge firearms are on delay for another month and a half. I can't say the 2020 has been my favorite year.

Barnes sells a great little 225gr bullet for reloading 45LC. Its called a XPB. I can usually buy them for under a buck each in 20 packs. Killer bullet for MLs too. Lehigh has one in 230gr also. Great options for less recoil without sacrificing deer harvesting power.

I shoot that 225 grain Barnes pill out of the Optima pistol. 50 yards, 5 shots, single ragged hole. I had it loaded last fall but never pulled the trigger while the pistol was hunting. I shoot the 250 grain XPB in the Accura now and it too is a single holer for 5 shots at 100 yards.

Its not how they look or how much they cost. Its how they perform for you. I shoot the GT bullets with sabot for about $0.35 a shot and they kill deer like lightning.

Latest posts

Back