Projectiles for modern inlines

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T/C Cheap Shots 240s or Hornady XTP 300s.... both with a Harvester ribbed sabot. Still hav a couple packages of 295gr copper HP Powerbelts to use also.

GT Bullets is running what appears to be 2 weeks behind. Try Mr. Hollow point for some bullets.
Recently I ordered from GT Bullets & they were way more than 2 wks behind. I got some .40 cal 140gr & 160 gr cast lead hollow points w/1 lube band with red lube to shoot in my .40 TC Seneca. I thought I'd try their 255gr .453 cast lead w/huge hollow point bullets with 1 lube band/red lube to shoot with T7fff & .060 veggie wad in my .45 Accura V2. I haven't shot any them yet.

Well, i imagine if you are looking at CHEAP bullets that can be used in 45ACP then you will be having a very hard time getting any atm. I had no problem getting 45cal 260gr and i could have gotten some 300gr bullets last time i was at the gun shop. 44mag bullets are also easier to find. Its not as commonly used for defense purposes. 458s would be another caliber less in demand atm.

MidwayUSA has the 45cal 250gr GoldDot/DeepCurl atm for $15ish per 50. Good bullet for lighter loads you said you intend to shoot.

Last edited:
Well, i imagine if you are looking at CHEAP bullets that can be used in 45ACP then you will be having a very hard time getting any atm. I had no problem getting 45cal 260gr and i could have gotten some 300gr bullets last time i was at the gun shop. 44mag bullets are also easier to find. Its not as commonly used for defense purposes. 458s would be another caliber less in demand atm.

MidwayUSA has the 45cal 250gr GoldDot/DeepCurl atm for $15ish per 50. Good bullet for lighter loads you said you intend to shoot.
Yes CHEAP bullets to use for fairly close range ( inside 200yds ) hunting & target trigger therapy. So the GT bullets seemed like somethin worth tryin out. I normally shoot 10mm jacketed pistol bullets in my TC Seneca .40 cal 1:37 twist w/T7fff & 1/8" felt wad. Thats economical & practical enough for sure but the GT bullets are still cheaper than that. The huge hollow point .453 GT bullets, if they shoot great in my Accura V2 then cool! If not then no BFD I'll continue to shoot the 45/40 sabots or the Fury .453 STB 250gr bullets I was already shooting in it. I never did give the Gold Dot or Deep Curl's a thought really, but I'm a fan of them XTP'S though.

T/C Cheap Shots 240s or Hornady XTP 300s.... both with a Harvester ribbed sabot. Still hav a couple packages of 295gr copper HP Powerbelts to use also.
I don't mess with the TC cheap shots, but all the XTP's perform great & the price is great as well. I like em! I was pushin 180gr XTP's outta my TC Seneca .40 cal @1800fps they ain't no joke.

My comment is for Gab. He keeps posting about wanting cheap this or that. I cant even imagine using a 185gr powder coated cast bullet in a sabot. At least not 500 of them if i did not have a 451cal handgun also. Cheap is meaningless if it has very limited applications and you get stuck with 500 bullets that dont work for you. Better to spend $15 on 50 bullets you can use instead of $50 on 500 you cant isnt it?

Before the SHTF i think i posted about the .451 230gr HAP bullet from Hornady. They WERE cheap in bulk. The way things are now he could have bought a huge bulk pack and sold off a huge chunk. Probably making enough to end up with his for free. Those bullets are very popular.

I just ended up ordering another box of tc plinksters from muzzleloader.com

comes out to .50 for bullet and sabot when they do free shipping. It’s 10 bucks for 20 so I am not stuck with a bunch. Besides things have changed now I plan on using the 1851 c&p more than the rifle.

If the ammo shortage calms down then maybe I’ll look at other types of rounds for the CBA but for now I’m just gonna fired a few times to see if it works can’t imagine firing it a lot.

Yes CHEAP bullets to use for fairly close range ( inside 200yds ) hunting & target trigger therapy. So the GT bullets seemed like somethin worth tryin out. I normally shoot 10mm jacketed pistol bullets in my TC Seneca .40 cal 1:37 twist w/T7fff & 1/8" felt wad. Thats economical & practical enough for sure but the GT bullets are still cheaper than that.
I get the feeling more often on this forum that some look down at certain bullets because they are cheap. None of us has any idea how a bullet shoots until we try them in our gun. Inside of 200 yards covers 99% of the deer and elk killed. Look at Rons Bullet test and you can see they perform well. Better yet we kill deer with them and its often DRT. Further more there is no guarantee an expensive bullet will perform any better. If a cheap bullet shoots accurate enough and kills game I think it qualifies as a great bullet for that individual gun and hunter.

I get the feeling more often on this forum that some look down at certain bullets because they are cheap. None of us has any idea how a bullet shoots until we try them in our gun. Inside of 200 yards covers 99% of the deer and elk killed. Look at Rons Bullet test and you can see they perform well. Better yet we kill deer with them and its often DRT. Further more there is no guarantee an expensive bullet will perform any better. If a cheap bullet shoots accurate enough and kills game I think it qualifies as a great bullet for that individual gun and hunter.
I completely agree with everything ya said. I did check out all Rons bullet gel tests. I'm a pretty pragmatic/practical guy with pretty simple philosophies like " just cuz its cheap, don't mean it don't work or is no good " " if it aint broke, don't fix it " " no need to go skeeter huntin with a bazooka ". Ya did make me consider a point that I had that made no sense at all these yrs regarding the TC shockwaves/cheap shots I've always turned my nose up at bc of all the neg crap I've always heard about them. Though I have zero reservations buyin 100 CHEAP 45/40 200gr SST's bc of the great rep they've always had ( I just paid 12.36 per 20 ) but its a great bullet for a great price, so I'm happy to spend my money & try them out myself. The silly point here is that they are pretty much the same bullets - SST's & shockwaves , but I've never bought them. Many in here & other ML forums really down & bash PB's for various reasons,& pyrodex pellets too but I've dropped many many deer & other critters too with the TC Thunderhawk, TC Firehawk, & 2) TC Omega's I had with nuthin but Powerbelts & pyrodex pellets over 2 decades. Cheap ML's, cheap powder, cheap bullets, yet hugely successful for decades.

Last edited:
Every year a friend kills several deer and a couple dozen hogs using Cheap Shots. Yeah, lots folks badmouth the 250 grain SST bullets. Some say the bullet fragments, others claim the bullet "pencils through" without expanding. i've taken about 40 deer and scores of hogs with that bullet. About half were bang flops.

In 2008 i ran out of 250 grain SST bullets and bought 250 grain Shockwaves. With that hard plastic point Shockwaves act differently than the SST bullets. Had some long tracking jobs when the bullet failed to expand.

I know I am new to bp but here are my thoughts. If a bullet flys true and does not excessively fragment and delivers good energy and wound channel who cares what it is called or it's shape.

Big ol 50 cal with the 45 saboted Chunk of lead dropped the animal did its job perfect. Lol

I know I am new to bp but here are my thoughts. If a bullet flys true and does not excessively fragment and delivers good energy and wound channel who cares what it is called or it's shape.

Big ol 50 cal with the 45 saboted Chunk of lead dropped the animal did its job perfect. Lol
Spot on. And if you can do it for $.50 a bullet instead of $1.00 a bullet. Well, need I say more.

I thought my Speers for $11/50 were really cheap. Cant find anything wrong with them. Appears to me its less than 50cent per bullet with sabot.
Yes but some things to consider. 1 did you factor in shipping and cost of sabots? 2. What is the min qty you purchased to get that price 500? 3. Are they available now given the pandemic and panic buying.

I think if most people are Not going to go to the range often with the muzzleloader a pack of 20 not gonna be a problem Or if they’re just gonna be hunting a couple times a year.

total cost per shot would equal cost of primer powder bullet and sabot after shipping and taxes.

if you want jacketed hollow points they are 12 bucks shipped bullet and sabot.

I have seen some instances were the minimum order was 100 for a reload bullets and that’s fine but, any reload bullets that I think is worth a darn I can’t find in stock right now. all I find is cheap lead bullets Reloads And I’m certainly not buying 100 of those much less 500.

no doubt buying in Bulk has its advantages If you like what you’re buying. And buying 500 then getting into the bullet reload selling business is not for me Lead is heavy Shipping high For the small entrepreneur.

for guys like me going through Muzzle loader and spending $.50 a shot for bullet and sabot might be a little bit of burn but again only got 20 of them.

Until things do calm down and the type of reload bullet that I want becomes available specifically a Barry’s round nose or even a Barry’s wadcutter.

Hell I might not even do that if they are available because my pistol cost less shot If we really want to talk total cost per shot I could get about 400 bangs out of a 1 pound of powder. 454 lead balls cost $.12 apiece percussions at 10 cent per.

no It probably won’t take a deer and I don’t need to. Besides nobody’s really figured out that if stuff really hits the fan you’re going to want a slingshot and rubber bands for hunting in survival. No one wants to steal a bunch of rubber bands. But post apocalyptic marauders will be after your bullets and rifles. Bart Simpson will still be eating harvesting birds and such.

But that rant was a little off topic

Last edited by a moderator:
I can only guess you have not been looking at the links i post before they sell out. The 250gr at MidwayUSA is $14.99 per 50....Like i said before. Sabots are under $10/50 and under $6 at Grafs or Midsouth. I paid $11/50 locally for the 260gr. They sell anywhere for under $15/50 when in stock.

Seriously, you were looking at $40+ for huge bulk packs and gunna object to $10 in shipping?

Last edited:
I can only guess you have not been looking at the links i post before they sell out. The 250gr at MidwayUSA is $14.99 per 50....Like i said before. Sabots are under $10/50 and under $6 at Grafs or Midsouth. I paid $11/50 locally for the 260gr. They sell anywhere for under $15/50 when in stock.

Seriously, you were looking at $40+ for huge bulk packs and gunna object to $10 in shipping?

I'll be honest I hadn't looked at every single link and they probably are good value issue is if you're not going to fire that much I guess like I probably won't be. Hey I thought I'd use it a lot more and in either case I always try to keep the total cost per shot down.

The other issue was since I'm a new guy if I do buy reload bullets a like a hundred of them and they don't work out I'm stuck with them.

There's no doubt that there are cheaper bullets out there than $0.50 for a bullet and sabot combo.

Again reference post above by me if it puts her down doesn't fragment goes where you want it drops animal hey your hunky dory.

when I first started looking this stuff remember I was asking all kinds of questions about ballistic coefficient and crap like that. You're right it was irreverent under a hundred yards. Point being is not that serious. Hell back in the day some soldiers were given lead bar strips they folded up there were easy to carry when you ready for projectile you just cut off a piece of the end and stuck this square yes square piece of LEAD down the barrel. I'm guessing if soldiers used it it probably worked pretty good.

Something about those berrys though they seem so clean I want a Berry's website and I don't think they're manufacturing them anymore.

I'm with GM54, I buy Speer and get my sabots thru Grafs . Over $49.00 and shipping's free at Midway and my Graf shipping was free also. I buy enough of what I like that the cost is nil anyhow. I like my Deep curls and shoot a lot of them. And I don't get a bulk discount, their just not that costly.

you know I keep hearing just go to Midway and the bullets are cheap and it'll cost x amount for this much and it's just not true for what they have in stock right now and the price that they show could be for multiple calibers for example Hornady xtp start off at like $0.12 up to $0.81 price being caliber specific.

when you get down to anything that's actually in stock that would work for this application you're talking about $0.30 + per bullet not including shipping or if free then taxes. 30 cents a bullet + 10 cents a sabot let me see what does that come out to....

If you can show me a cart with checkout for 50 bullets at about 17 bucks I'd be impressed but that ain't going to happen. I'm talking shipped.

so I used to be an accountant but I don't need to be to figure out that the cost per bullet once shipped and once bought in bulk ain't really worth it for somebody who's not going to shoot that much period.

We can all pull prices out of our hats but the fact is from the places that I went and the recommendations that I saw the graphs Midway which I wouldn't necessarily order from again it ain't happening boys.

if you do manage to get something in that price range it's going to be badly swagged lead bullets.

Cheap?

Screenshot_20200810-004616.png

anybody actually do the math on 50 / 17 coming out to $0.34 per bullet - the Sabot how is that so much cheaper than 50 cent per? Giving you need to buy at least a hundred of them now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back