Projectiles for modern inlines

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My biggest problem with the Barnes is isn't legal in the muzzleloader season. I'll either have to stay hunting rifle seasons or find another bullet that's a conical to use in Muzzleloader season. I sent for a Thor sizing pack. They'll solve my problem if I can find a size that will work in my new gun.
I don't think Thor bullets were around back when I started out with .50 inlines, but I'd have been using them had I known about them & they are what I'd be using now if I still had .50 inlines. I think they will even shoot well in a TC Renegade .50 1:28 twist barrel. I'd love to shoot the Thor bullets.

The biggest problem i've had in the past has been inconsistent sizing. It does no good to get the sizing pack and figure out what size fits your bore if what you order after knowing the guns size if the bullets then come in different sizes. The copper is so hard that even .001 off will be too tight or too loose.

New people bought out Thor and i'm hoping their quality control is better when it comes to sizing.

Given all the responses above for CHEAP bullets, Ill bet there is a pile of deer die from CHEAP lead. I have about 500 of the GT bullets in 255 and 305 grain. I did buy the 500 sabots a year or so ago. Im shooting CHEAP and killing deer DRT or 50 yards max.

Given all the responses above for CHEAP bullets, Ill bet there is a pile of deer die from CHEAP lead. I have about 500 of the GT bullets in 255 and 305 grain. I did buy the 500 sabots a year or so ago. Im shooting CHEAP and killing deer DRT or 50 yards max.
I got some of those .453 255gr HP ( huge hollow points ) GT BUllets myself to try out in my .45 Accura. If its not a good bullet for it then I'll save them until I get another .50 & try them out in sabots. They just look like they will absolutely smack the daylights outta whatever they hit.

Deer are easy to kill.
Oh heck yeah.. I've dropped a cpl with .22 CCI Stingers & head shots.... folds em up DRT.
I've dropped a few with 115gr .30cal carbine, 1 with a .38 revolver, a few with .223 55gr & also with my 1st ml - .50 TC Hawken w/goex & PRB. You can drop a deer with anything I've found. I tried wrestling one one time ( an injured 4 point buck w/broken front leg hit by a car ) I only had a 4.00 pocket knife 3" blade with me. Now THAT WASN'T FREAKIN EASY LOL

That alloy is somewhere around 10-11BHN i think...So im really not sure how well thats gunna work sabotless and its rather light for the application too. Correct sizing will be critical

If you have a adjustable die one of his bullets for 45/70 might be give better results.

If i was going to try his bullets sabotless it would probably be this 435gr. Size it to about .001 over lands. Not sure if you could load it much larger than that using that alloy.
458-435-lswchp-pb-459-003.jpg

I got some of those .453 255gr HP ( huge hollow points ) GT BUllets myself to try out in my .45 Accura. If its not a good bullet for it then I'll save them until I get another .50 & try them out in sabots. They just look like they will absolutely smack the daylights outta whatever they hit.
The young man who hunts with me uses the 255 grain GT and kills them DRT. I use the 305 grainers and have some 45/70 385 grainers to try. The 305 are already proven with 2 DRT and 1 40 yard wobble. They just flat work great.

Many years ago I had a Winchester bolt .45 cal muzzie. Cabelas sold a 180 grain spritzer cast bullet and sabot that was dead nuts the best bullet I could have shot out of it. The bullets were made in Canada. One year I had no issues at all getting them at Cabelas, the next year they were not available because of some glitch with coming from Canada. Those suckers would drop a deer better than any bullet I have ever shot from a muzzleloader.

The young man who hunts with me uses the 255 grain GT and kills them DRT. I use the 305 grainers and have some 45/70 385 grainers to try. The 305 are already proven with 2 DRT and 1 40 yard wobble. They just flat work great.
Thats great to hear, When I was on PR's site I was only lookin for CHEAP 10mm bullets in the 140-165gr gange for mt TC Seneca .40 fast twist. Then I saw the .45's & the great option of 3 size's of bullets & those massive hollow points & I could get them in .453 for the Accura barrel & in 255gr & the price for them....I was on some O them lol I'll send some downrange shortly with a lil T7fff & a .060 veggie wad & see how they do. I wish I had some steel gong action a hangin to smash with them too. I got 300 bullets total & bill was in the high 40's or low 50's with shipping. Sorry I can't recall the exact amount, but it was NUTHIN to get puckered up over. I'll be back for more of them I'm sure. I'm really lookin forward to seein how they do in my Seneca .40. That ought to be fun.

A bullet I would recommend is a real sleeper and very inexpensive Box of 50, designed for low velocity has good bearing surface.
Hornady Interlock 45 cal 245 Gr. P/n 45204 Have to buy online Try them you might like them Oh .542 Dia may have to size if your not using a slipper. (sabot)
They expand well at lower ml velocity @1700, but didn’t shoot as well as the Barnes or xtp in my disc extreme. They have an internal hollow cavity.050E2508-3FCA-41A3-8E9D-A36032853B4E.jpeg

Well, i imagine if you are looking at CHEAP bullets that can be used in 45ACP then you will be having a very hard time getting any atm. I had no problem getting 45cal 260gr and i could have gotten some 300gr bullets last time i was at the gun shop. 44mag bullets are also easier to find. Its not as commonly used for defense purposes. 458s would be another caliber less in demand atm.

MidwayUSA has the 45cal 250gr GoldDot/DeepCurl atm for $15ish per 50. Good bullet for lighter loads you said you intend to shoot.
Out of stock no backorder 18.99/50 Today 2/1/2023

I don't think Thor bullets were around back when I started out with .50 inlines, but I'd have been using them had I known about them & they are what I'd be using now if I still had .50 inlines. I think they will even shoot well in a TC Renegade .50 1:28 twist barrel. I'd love to shoot the Thor bullets.
I shoot Thor's with my Optima. Great accuracy and great performance on game animals. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Just a side note. It never ceases to amaze me the amount of knowledge from the members on this site. Some have probably forgotten more than I know. :elmer:

I just bought a couple boxes of 200 grain, .400 Swift A-Frames to try in the Traditions.45 that I haven’t bought yet. I’ve also got some Barnes 195 grain MZ’s which I’ve shot in both a Black Diamond and Omega.

Back