proven load

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobnoffs

Reaction score
hi all,
just bought a cva wolf . plan to extend my centerfire rifle season with a 150 yd gun instead of the 50yd percussion/ball i have now.
any recommendations for a sabot /propellant that performs well in your cva. 24'' ss barrel, shotgun shell primer.
thanks, bob noffs

Many options but 90-110 grains of powder and a 300 grain projectile will be a great start.

150 is a long shot for a Wolf. It can be done with practice and a decent scope. Work up a good load and shoot plenty before the season.

If you haven't got any gun restrictions as to powder or bullet type I'd recommend getting the BH209 compatible breech plug, the bh209 powder and an assortment of .45 or .44 cal bullets and sabots for the bullet sizes. Lots of people feel that 110 grains by measure of the 209 powder pushing a 250 to 300 grain pill is just about as accurate load for the field as any. The powder charge at the 110 grains with any bullet inside of the mentioned weights will be a potent load for deer to perhaps 200 yards.

All of my .50 inline long guns use this load [I use the 77 grain weighed charge personally] for deer and all deliver less than 1 inch grouping at 100 yards using Hornady XTP 300 grain bullets and Speer's Deep Curl bullets in the same weight. 250 and 240 grain XTPs do ok but the extra umph of the 300 is nice. 1" groups with these guns starts to come along with a charge of 90 grains of measured powder with 250 and 300 grain bullets, however I use the stiffest load I can shoot comfortably, accurately to be certain the bullets have what it takes to operate on a deer like they are supposed to. You could get by with the 90 grain charge I'm sure with a Wolf. The Wolf is somewhat lighter than my Accuras and Optima and a 300 grain bullet moved by 110 grains is going to have some serious nudge to it so be certain your scope is set up with enough eye clearance or you may not like my recommendations here. lol

Here is my hunting load that works well in all the 50 cal. rifles I have

110 grains BlackHorn 209, with the BH209 breech plug
Harvester Smooth Black sabot for bullets 300 grains or less
Barnes T-EZ all copper bullet, you could try the supplied sabot and see how it loads and shoots
Federal 209A, CCI 209M, Winchester 209 primers, the longer Win primers seal the best for me but are the weakest of the 3

If you have a 100yd zero, drop at 150yds will be approx, 4-5 inches. At 200yds, drop will be approx. 12-13 inches.

after a lot of reading my first attempt will be with bh209 and fury 320gr [or 325] plain tipped bullets with a wad. maybe then the xtp in 300 gr. with the green sabot .
bob noffs

I read and experimented with my Accura V2 LR, and came away with a few things that I'm glad a learned.
  1. Working a load in the Accura was easy in the 10g increments and switching to 5g when it got close.
  2. Working a load up with BH209 was more expensive than using PyrodexRS
  3. Once the correct Pyrodex load worked well I just converted to BH209 by multiplying my Pryodex grains by volume by 0.75, and the grouping was pretty spot on
  4. Hornady SST Low Drag 300g worked best and the most reproducible grouping on both loads (85g BH209 and 112.5g Pyrodex RS)
After all that, I continue to play with my 250g and 420g set-up over Pyrodex.

There's an amazing amount of info out there, but this board was the best online resource, with the best book I found on the kindle being:
"The Smoking Gun: A Modern Inline Muzzleloader Guide to Loading, Shooting & Cleaning for Accuracy"
https://www.amazon.com/Smoking-Gun-Muzzleloader-Shooting-Cleaning-ebook/dp/B009IY49Q0

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back