Public land hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

Reaction score
It's a little known secret that Australia and in particular my state Victoria has millions of acres of public land hunting available to anyone in the world. I recently did a trip up to the high country chasing sambar for a few days with my brother and his friend. Saw two real thumpers but couldn't get in range and my brothers mate missed a real nice one. Beautiful country at any rate, all huntable as far as the eye can see.
20201101_084812.jpg

20201101_185430.jpg

20201102_194733.jpg

But it is Australia so mind the snakes! This was one of two copperheads my brother almost stepped on (on the rock below us).
20201102_180222.jpg

I would be headed there right now if i could afford the plane ticket.

Well it doesn't cost much more than that. Its about $40usd for a 2 week international big game licence. That gets you unlimited tags on all deer species (except hog deer), with no set season (again except hoggies) and no weapon specific seasons (there are minimum calibres, draw weights and projectile weights though). The state isn't broken into units so a game license is good for the whole state. You can add on duck and quail with deer and the cost is around $65usd.

Worth considering one day!

It's a little known secret that Australia and in particular my state Victoria has millions of acres of public land hunting available to anyone in the world. I recently did a trip up to the high country chasing sambar for a few days with my brother and his friend. Saw two real thumpers but couldn't get in range and my brothers mate missed a real nice one. Beautiful country at any rate, all huntable as far as the eye can see.
View attachment 11284

View attachment 11285

View attachment 11286

But it is Australia so mind the snakes! This was one of two copperheads my brother almost stepped on (on the rock below us).
View attachment 11287
Beautiful (but huntable ?) not for this old goat ,those days are long gone (Ha) Ed

Beautiful country!!!

Gotta ask though what is a “hog deer”. That term is a new one to me.

Beautiful country!!!

Gotta ask though what is a “hog deer”. That term is a new one to me.

Resized_20190408_171444_3571_1554714147266.jpeg
Deer species, they're from India/Pakistan originally. A big stag weighs about 110lb dressed. Got their name for their stocky stature and their way of looking like pigs as they run. They're a very coveted trophy here, our equivalent of a sheep pretty much.

That is actually a very cheap hunt and you are a very lucky guy if the hunting pressure is not high.Public land where I hunt is very crowded where I live . However, in northern Wisconsin, there are few hunters but very little for deer.

Latest posts

Back