Public Land Hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Young fella I hunt with in his 20`s goes back in quite further than me. Being in my 70`s I still get around pretty well but pick my days more careful. He knocks down a big 8 on public last week with his bow. We did GPS our way in, quite afternoon and nobody around. But we did find stands in the way back. We hauled our gear back to the truck then went back in to retrieve the buck and back to truck at 8:45. I have to really think about how i`m feeling before I go with him because it might end up with a lot of work. I`ve been bringing him since he was a young fella. Long story short I hunt closer to the road then I use to but try to pick places where other hunter prefer not to access. If I get something big I get on the phone. Good day.

Look for areas that hunters ignore and walk right past, like swales and smaller woodlots close to roads. Or if you can, go deep where most won't go. And most importantly, do all day sits. Pack some food and drink, and plan on sitting all day. Look at the record books, most are harvested between the hours of 10:00 & 2:00.

Another good thing to do is use Google Maps and look over the area you plan to hunt. Look for distinct "Edges" in the topography. Deer use edges for travel. Good luck to you!

Look for areas that hunters ignore and walk right past, like swales and smaller woodlots close to roads. Or if you can, go deep where most won't go. And most importantly, do all day sits. Pack some food and drink, and plan on sitting all day. Look at the record books, most are harvested between the hours of 10:00 & 2:00.

Another good thing to do is use Google Maps and look over the area you plan to hunt. Look for distinct "Edges" in the topography. Deer use edges for travel. Good luck to you!
Good advice!

I will be hunting the forest. One of the higher bear population here too. Get there early and start walking. I try to go back as far as i can. Unreal of the pigs on the public land.

We had a special 3 day gun season here in ohio ( only 3 counties) last weekend due to cwd. I took the optima with 105 gr. Of blackhorn (volume) a no excuses 300 grain, I believe, boat tail bullet with no excuses sabot. About a 40 yd shot. DRT. PUBLIC LAND , OHIO. not a big one by any means. That's ok with me. I was out of meat. I wasn't able to recover the bullet, would have liked to have seen it, but it did the job!41783.jpeg20221010_191815.jpg20221010_191747.jpg

There is certainly nothing wrong with shooting ANY deer. It's all up to what you want and why you hunt. Years ago I shot a number of small does and bucks for the freezer. I've never had regrets. A young small buck would be just as tasty if not more so then any other deer.

Back