purchased a tripod, ballhead and clamp rest

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redear

Reaction score
I recently bought an Artcise 90c carbon fiber tripod, and then a ballhead from the hog saddle folks, and also a bog pod clamp rest to go on top of the ballhead when I was in cabelas the other day. I have noticed with my nerve disease and the damage it has caused that I am needing more stability than a bipod anymore. this tripod is a beast with 40mm legs in the largest section. I am still waiting for the ballhead as I ordered it 2 days ago. will start with my 22 mag and 17 hmr to get used to it and then move up to the cva scout. I only hunt on the ground while sitting on a primos double bull stool with backrest as I cant climb a ladder stand anymore. will keep ya'll posted, I know it is going to be a challenge but I'm hopeful for 250 yd capability on deer. I have 350 in the tripod, 270 in the ballhead and 80 in the clamp rest, I like this ultrlight bog pod clamp the but if it isnt up to snuff I will go with hog saddle's pig saddle clamp. I think my ballhead is a sunwayfoto 44xl with the neck stem cut down so the rifle clamp is closer to the ball. kip

I would like to see a photo of that. Seems like a quality combo

Jims, I wish I was smart enough to post pics. the ballhead will be here monday it looks like. I could have gone with a leveling head instead of a ballhead but with my hands being very very weak and clumbsy I did want to have to loosen and tighten anything in the heat of the moment with a deer out there. my main problem is gonna be transporting it, I have a folding seat and my gun and gear bag too so may have to use a little cart to pull along. I'm hunting crop fields.

they say it's not like shooting off a bench at all and takes plenty of practice,

I got the ballhead yesterday and it works good, but I dont care for the Bogpod Ultra lite clamp rest for the rifle, It doesnt hold the rifle without play in the clamp's parts, even makes metallic clacking noises when I move the gun. the tolerances are too loose in some of it's parts. I think I will be going to a Pig Saddle from the Hog Saddle company. I may use the Bog Pod version for non hunting situations if I want something more lightweight but the noise it is capable of doesnt belong in the hunting woods, imo.

Don't feel bad about the photos. I cannot do it myself either. My wife always has to post photos I want shown on MLs.

I see another clamp type rifle rest called the reaper, it's 170 bucks and appears to be made very well. then there is the pig saddle clamp rest for 135 bucks. doing some customer reviews reading on these clamp rests. the hog saddle would probably be the best but it is over 300 in cost. I cant see it holding any better than the reaper but its hard to say unless you have them in front of you. I'll be able to tell alot by putting my semi auto cz 512 22 mag on a rest and rattling off about 8 rds at a time. this winter weather is not my thing after deer season is over.

redear: You should check out the Reaper Grip by Kopfjager before you settle on the pig saddle. It has slightly curved fingers to really hold on to the gun. I would go with the Reaper over the pig saddle.

birdog, I just ordered the Pig saddle only because the gun is only 1 3/8" wide, I am going to get a reaper also I'm sure because I will be using other rifles later on. I'm still gonna have to use a piece of rubber floor mat I think with this CVA scout conversion. kip

I recieved the pig saddle and I'm impressed with first impressions. It'sa tidy little unit, in the pics it looks larger and more cumbersome but it's not that big and it's definitely sturdy. the rubber pads are perfect for what they do. I ordered a couple swiss arca type adapters to fit it better than what came with my ballhead which was a little small short adapter with mounting screws off center so I have some comming more full size match to the mounting clamp on the ballhead and mounting screws in the center of the adapter.

The pig saddle is for sure a great set up. I have their tripod that I got for a smoking deal, and the pig saddle. One day I might move up to a hog saddle, but like you I got sticker shock when I saw it.

Ball heads can be bought very reasonable off of Amazon, as well as some tripods. I know a few guys running strictly Amazon heads and tripods that shoot tons of PRS matches. They've not had a single issue.

One thing you might also look into is running arca type mounts. Cuts down on your weight a bit and you can attach and detach from your tripod quickly.

One tip I will give to shooting off of a tripod is weight is your friend. If you can hand your backpack from the bottom center post when you get in the blind it steadies it up. Also do add weight, run your sling through the legs, but still attach it on the front and back studs. When you set up to shoot, put some downward pressure on the sling like you're wanting to pull the rifle through the top of the tripod. It helped me steady up a TON! I have a special system I rigged up that I can attach to my belt loop as well that will give me more downward pressure, but thats more for PRS/comp shooting.

Latest posts

Back