Pure Lead VS 1-20 Alloy Weight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
This is to Show those that might not Know/Realize, The Difference in Bullet Weight When Cast of an Alloy VS Pure Lead, Same Bullet/Mold. PURE Lead is the HEAVIEST of All. Alloys are lighter, The Harder the Alloy, The Lighter the Bullet will Weigh. The Larger the Bullet, The More this Shows

I am using my new Accurate Molds #45-350M Bullet for this Demo

Here it is Cast of Certified PURE Lead
oXO39Fil.jpg

Same Exact Bullet/Mold, Cast of CERTIFIED 1-20 Alloy
1otzJBOl.jpg

There is a way to remember that. Lead is heavier than tin, so the more of the lighter metal the less the bullets weigh. I guess a person could use weight as a method to verify the alloy, except that would assume you had only lead and tin. My take away is 1:1 vs 1:20 is 2.23% less weight. Or 2.23 grains per 100. If you pure bullet is 358, then (358/100) * 2.23 = 8

Would it be a bold assumption that 1:40 was 1/2 the change? That would be 354 grains.

The other interesting question to me is how the diameter changes. Well, interesting because I dont have any intuitive or gut level clue which way that goes. And memory is not what it was.

Last edited:
There is a way to remember that. Lead is heavier than tin, so the more of the lighter metal the less the bullets weigh. I guess a person could use weight as a method to verify the alloy, except that would assume you had only lead and tin. My take away is 1:1 vs 1:20 is 2.23% less weight. Or 2.23 grains per 100. If you pure bullet is 358, then (358/100) * 2.23 = 8

Would it be a bold assumption that 1:40 was 1/2 the change? That would be 354 grains.

The other interesting question to me is how the diameter changes. Well, interesting because I dont have any intuitive or gut level clue which way that goes. And memory is not what it was.

As to breaking it down to different Alloys to Weights, I don’t know the Exact answer to that? I cast a Lot of 1-40 Alloy, I believe you are Right in the Ballpark at 354 Grains

Diameter definitely can Change, Pure Lead Shrinks up more than Alloys. This is Why Most Custom Mold Makers ask what you will be using? That said, a WHOLE LOT comes down to Casting Technique. I am able to get PURE Lead to Cast EXTREMELY Close to the Same Diameter as 1-20 Alloy (The Way i Compression Cast) I stay Within a Half a Thousandth.

As to breaking it down to different Alloys to Weights, I don’t know the Exact answer to that? I cast a Lot of 1-40 Alloy, I believe you are Right in the Ballpark at 354 Grains

Diameter definitely can Change, Pure Lead Shrinks up more than Alloys. This is Why Most Custom Mold Makers ask what you will be using? That said, a WHOLE LOT comes down to Casting Technique. I am able to get PURE Lead to Cast EXTREMELY Close to the Same Diameter as 1-20 Alloy (The Way i Compression Cast) I stay Within a Half a Thousandth.
As flawless as your bullets turn out Lewis i personally consider them to be "Pure Gold" !!! Lol !!! :thumb:

Do the different alloys fly any differently or have different effect on accuracy?

Do the different alloys fly any differently or have different effect on accuracy?

Yes, Definitely Can!

Latest Example. This New Paper Patch Bullet of mine, I tried it Cast of Pure Lead, and then 1-20 Alloy
XJYbCUkl.jpg

Hl3SlUul.jpg

3 Shot Group from Bullet above Cast of Certified PURE Lead
rc1vQTfl.jpg

And here is a 3 Shot Group of the Same Bullet Cast of 1-20 Alloy
pwY9AFjl.jpg

All kinds of great info in this thread! Thanks for the postings, Lewis!

Curtis

What alloy do you use for elk? I used a hardcast last year, and penetration was great, but it was a slow kill.
Did you recover the bullet? If so, how did it look? I personally use soft lead or no higher alloy than 40:1. The five bulls I’ve shot have all been close to 100 yards about 120 being the farthest. I recovered nicely mushroomed bullets just under the hide on the off side on most of them using plumbers sheet lead cast bullets weighing roughly 450 grains

What alloy do you use for elk? I used a hardcast last year, and penetration was great, but it was a slow kill.

For Hunting, Where i am using a Wider Meplat Type Bullet, I want SOFT, PURE LEAD, NOTHING BEATS Pure Lead for Expansion at Blackpowder Muzzleloader Velocities:lewis:

For Target Shooting With my Elliptical, Money, Postell, Type Nose Bullets I shoot an Alloy. The Same as our WORLD Champion Shooters do

It is my opinion that A bullet cast of an Alloy such as 1-20, 1-30 is a BAD IDEA for Hunting, At Blackpowder Velocities Anyway. They Simply Won’t Expand Much, if Any? They will Poke a Hole Straight Through, I want a Hunting Bullet to “Roll Back” Mushroom

Did you burnish the ends of your bullets to make them so shiny?

Latest posts

Back