Putting it here.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Putting it here not to confuse any new members.

NOTE: THE CHARGES INDICATED HERE ARE SAFE IN MY CUSTOM RIFLE. FOLLOW YOUR OWNERS MANUAL.

Nice day so I decided to send some through the chronograph and find out if the darn thing still worked. I guess it did.
All charges are 100grs WEIGHT of BH209.

I sized up some 200gr FTX bullets just to foul up the bore good. Figured I'd send them through the chrono.

200gr FTX w 100gW BH.jpg

Next up were the 300gr XLD's that I sized with a loading force of 15#. Same charge of 100grs weight. Now I know why I size these bullets to only 9# in a clean barrel. They loaded pretty stiff with two hands even. I watched the gage and I was well into the upper 30's for force. I seated every bullet at 50# using the gage.

300gr XLD w 100grsW BH 15lbs.jpg

I can't seem to get my SD lower.......

Last edited:
After some discussions about BH, one person is getting single digit ES numbers. However, he's also shooting a HEAVY charge where he found a second node with BH.
I bumped up 10 tubes to 115grs. If the weather will cooperate and I can get the time, I'll send them for some chronograph readings. NOTE: I'M SHOOTING A COMPLETE CUSTOM RIFLE, NOT A PRODUCTION RIFLE. READ AND FOLLOW YOUR OWNERS MANUAL FOR YOUR SPECIFIC RIFLE.

I know you have a muzzle break on that rifle but I'm just curious how was The recoil signature?

I'm living vicariously thru your exploits, Encore.
In Jan I upgraded my Ultimate with one of Luke's conversion kits so I won't burnup the standard breech plug with BH.
I might not be hunting this year due to the spinal upgrades I'm having done.
Looking forward to hearing some hunting stories if your health permits.
-H

I'm living vicariously thru your exploits, Encore.
In Jan I upgraded my Ultimate with one of Luke's conversion kits so I won't burnup the standard breech plug with BH.
I might not be hunting this year due to the spinal upgrades I'm having done.
Looking forward to hearing some hunting stories if your health permits.
-H
LOL

Actually I not sure if I'm going to hunt this year and it'll be the first year in 56 that I haven't bought a license if I don't. Just so much going on between both the wife's and my health.

seems more powder less velocity

You are right, there is a point where more doesn't help but, beyond that point velocity increases again. Those increased velocities ..... appear ... to be bumping up the bullet extremely well and velocity spreads end up in low single digits. This information is all from one of the well known builders.
The increased velocity likely isn't worth using all the extra propellant and may not even tighten a group.

LOL

Actually I not sure if I'm going to hunt this year and it'll be the first year in 56 that I haven't bought a license if I don't. Just so much going on between both the wife's and my health.

You are right, there is a point where more doesn't help but, beyond that point velocity increases again. Those increased velocities ..... appear ... to be bumping up the bullet extremely well and velocity spreads end up in low single digits. This information is all from one of the well known builders.
The increased velocity likely isn't worth using all the extra propellant and may not even tighten a group.

Hi Encore,

Wish you and your wife all the best and health for 2022 :)
Your DUNAMIS is in fact an awesome rig!!!

Putting it here not to confuse any new members.

NOTE: THE CHARGES INDICATED HERE ARE SAFE IN MY CUSTOM RIFLE. FOLLOW YOUR OWNERS MANUAL.

Nice day so I decided to send some through the chronograph and find out if the darn thing still worked. I guess it did.
All charges are 100grs WEIGHT of BH209.

I sized up some 200gr FTX bullets just to foul up the bore good. Figured I'd send them through the chrono.

View attachment 14474

Next up were the 300gr XLD's that I sized with a loading force of 15#. Same charge of 100grs weight. Now I know why I size these bullets to only 9# in a clean barrel. They loaded pretty stiff with two hands even. I watched the gage and I was well into the upper 30's for force. I seated every bullet at 50# using the gage.

View attachment 14475

I can't seem to get my SD lower.......
Try a wool wad may lower ES?

Gotcha , maybe do a ladder test like in smokeless?

Gotcha , maybe do a ladder test like in smokeless?
:) What I really need is to increase the charge. Maybe in the late spring I can get back at it. It could be my cheap Caldwell chronograph. I don't see a LabRadar in my future.

There's still a lot to learn about BH and why it does certain things.
Example.. check out this series of targets I shot testing loading forces. Velocity increases when loading force is increased. However......... The best group of all these targets had the highest spread.

Note: Target Range 300yds Top row of targets a Pittman Acumax. Bottom row were XLD's. Both 300grs.

IMG_2280.JPG

Back