Pyrodex Powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I got my Optima Pistol last year, I wanted to use Blackhorn but was unwilling to pay fifty bucks for a 10 oz. bottle, so I instead bought a pound of Pyrodex for about 20 bucks.
I hadn't used Pyrodex since way back in the 80's. I wasn't really impressed with it back then as I recall but this batch that I have been using seems to work just fine as far as I can tell.
I read that a lot of folks like triple 7, I've never tried it, mostly because I can't find any around here where I live.
I do have a good supply of Goex powder on hand but I prefer it for my rifles.
Anybody else use Pyrodex? If so, what do you think ?

Pyrodex is very corrosive be sure to clean your gun immediately an again in a few days after that. I have used it, but won't put it in my guns any longer. It's not a bad shooting powder. Triple 7 is much better an Blackhorn powder even more so. They all have advantages an disadvantages an clean up requires different methods.

I quit using 777 a couple of years ago, and only shoot Pyrodex and Pyrodex select out of my conical guns and BH209 out of my sabot guns. Both are pretty accurate for me. I don’t have access to real black here locally or I would try that. I do notice a slight hangfire with my new nipples in the breech plugs, but I’m able to group ok and it does go bang every time so I don’t pay much attention to it. I’m sure with real black, ignition would be instantaneous, cause it is with Black MZ. I just can’t get a good group with Black MZ or I would shoot that. The grain size on the Pyrodex powders sure is more consistent than the Black MZ. It may do well out of your handgun though....

Latest posts

Back