Pyrodex

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edward.penny

Reaction score
How many here shoots pyrodex loose and pellets still? I hear so much about BH209 but can't use it in my Knight plunger gun. I have been shooting Alliant Black MZ and have had really good luck with it.

How many here shoots pyrodex loose and pellets still? I hear so much about BH209 but can't use it in my Knight plunger gun. I have been shooting Alliant Black MZ and have had really good luck with it.

Hey! if it is working for you then that is great... I personally did not like any of the Pyro's because of smell when cleaning and the fact that it was so corrosive. For myself I went to T7 which is a lot less corrosive and creates greater velocities (grain for grain) But, if you are shooting a plunger with 209 ignition there really is a learning curve - dealing with the 'crud ring' If you shooting caps no big deal.

One of the things that I have found when shooting T7 you have to purge your barrel of any petroleum products and use strictly synthetic solutions.

Black MZ - I am not sure if you can even find it anymore. I think production has been stopped - but I am not sure of that.

I stocked up on Black MZ last time I ordered. I still have about 19 pounds . It really doesn't seem to be to corrosive and shoots good. I have converted my gun back to #11 caps. I have a CVA Wolf that has had Pyrodex ran through it since new and not a bit of rust. It does stink when cleaning .The Black MZ doesn't even smell when cleaning .

I mostly shoot T7 but also have Pyrodex that i use in my older Optima, bought about 5 lbs at Walmart when it was about 5 bucks a pound. Stinks the high heaven but works. Still have some sealed Pyrodex pellets also that may or may not get used.

If Pyrodex was used back in the day, all that there would be left of the antique firearms, would be a pile of rust

I have used loose Pyrodex in my traditional guns and plunger guns for the past 25yrs. It works fine, ignites easy, and is readily available. I've never had an issue with corrosion. Obviously you can't leave your rifle dirty with any sub for an extended time or you are taking a risk. But it does not corrode your rifle just by using it. It also doesn't create as harsh of a crud ring as some other powders when using a 209 primer. There are a number of good subs that can be used in a plunger, Pryo & T7 probably the most widely used.

I agree with Mike , I have a couple of guns that shoot nothing but Pyrodex and they get cleaned the same day there shot, no problems. They all stink up my truck and shop I've learned to like it, BP, Pyro, Blackhorn, all smells of a good time! I don't mind the smell of T7 but I don't care for the crud ring

I use pyrodex in my side locks it is the best of what is easily available here, I clean immediately after shooting and it has never been a problem, I had to use a wad under 777 to keep it from blowing the patch and shooting wildly so it did not suit me.

I use Pyrodex in my rifles and my son in law uses it in his sidelocks. I clean after shooting so no issues...I still don't like the smell, but its kind of like Hoppes...it means fun has happened :)

I too have shot a bunch of Pyrodex P, RS and Select. Still do as well as Swiss and Blackhorn. Never had an issue with it but my rifles are cleaned right after using it.

I have a T/C Firehawk (plunger) that shoots good with T7 FFG. I use musket caps, and do not get the crud ring. My other inlines (break action) CVA and T/C do get the crud ring, with T7 even with T7 209 primers, and making sure the bore is dry, and without any oils, etc. However these ml's using Black MZ, no crud ring, and a reload can be done without wiping. I did stock up on Black MZ, and hope it is available in the future.

I still use pyrodex and 777. I have loads for both that work for me. Plus last time I drove 60 miles to try another type of powder, they were all out.
For hunting, I like powder for first shot and pellets for 2nd shot...

Back