Question about Bloodline bullet/sabots.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpcollins

Reaction score
I'm under the impression that the Bloodline bullets are from Lehigh. In the .50 cal - 220 grain bullets, the specs say they are .458" in diameter. Do they use special extra thin sabots to accommodate the .458" diameter or are they just crammed in a regular size sabot?

Also, does anyone know the diameter (or caliber) of the bullet used in the Bloodline .45 cal - 185 gr offering? Thanks.

The 185gr is a 40cal.

The 220gr, 275gr and 300gr are .458 in a MMP 50x458 sabot that is dyed red instead of orange.

The 250gr is .452 in a MMP 50x452 sabot dyed orange instead of black.

So, the red sabot must be pretty thin?

Any feedback on the 250gr with orange sabot vs 275gr with red sabot?

Would the Wolverine like both? How about fit?

Muley Hunter said:
So, the red sabot must be pretty thin?

Any feedback on the 250gr with orange sabot vs 275gr with red sabot?

Would the Wolverine like both? How about fit?

The red Knight sabot is the same as the MMP Orange .457-.458x 50 sabot.

It will handle the Lehigh Defense 458-220 grain, 458-275 grain, and the .458-300 grain bullets in a 50 cal muzzleloader.

You have some red ones coming in your package.

Muley, the Knight orange sabot is the same thing as a MMP HPH24 Black sabot.

That Wolverine will shoot any of these bullets - lights out...

Muley Hunter said:
I like putting lights out. :D

Ya but! Since you are somewhat hobbled up... DO NOT DO IT IN YOUR APARTMENT with the Wolverine I am sure someone would complain...

Well, I tried all the sabots. The orange sabots, and the deep curls loaded pretty firm, but ok.

The red sabots are a no go. I couldn't even get all the sabot in the barrel, and it was hell trying to pound them back out the muzzle.

I think you had the orange sabots marked 300gr. Is that right? It should be 250gr no?

Muley Hunter said:
Well, I tried all the sabots. The orange sabots, and the deep curls loaded pretty firm, but ok.

The red sabots are a no go. I couldn't even get all the sabot in the barrel, and it was hell trying to pound them back out the muzzle.

I think you had the orange sabots marked 300gr. Is that right? It should be 250gr no?

If it is an Orange sabot with a 300 grain bullet or even the the 275 - both bullets are .458. The red sabots are the same as the Orange sabots just died red.

The 300 grain deep curl should have come fitted in a HPH-24 Black sabot. And those bullets were .452.

Do you have any JB's - since that gun is new it would not hurt to run a 100 strokes through the bore and of course shooting it will help it loosen up...

I do not think I sent you any 250 grain bullets...

tpcollins said:
I'm under the impression that the Bloodline bullets are from Lehigh. In the .50 cal - 220 grain bullets, the specs say they are .458" in diameter. Do they use special extra thin sabots to accommodate the .458" diameter or are they just crammed in a regular size sabot?

Also, does anyone know the diameter (or caliber) of the bullet used in the Bloodline .45 cal - 185 gr offering? Thanks.

Depending on your Muzzleloader you can take those .458 bullets and put them in a Harvester short black sabot and shoot them in your 50cal Muzzleloader. In my 50cal Disc Elites thats the most accurate combination i have. I also do the same thing in the Savage as well. Its to tight in my T/C Muzzleloaders.

Grouse said:
tpcollins said:

Depending on your Muzzleloader you can take those .458 bullets and put them in a Harvester short black sabot and shoot them in your 50cal Muzzleloader. In my 50cal Disc Elites thats the most accurate combination i have. I also do the same thing in the Savage as well. Its to tight in my T/C Muzzleloaders.

Interesting... I guess I have never considered doing what you have suggested, but just for drill I dug out a pack of Harvester Short Blacks, Harvester Black Crush Ribs, and a package of MMP 3P sabots.

Inserting a .458-300 Bloodline in each I started them through the crown of my Mountaineer. I believe the 3p offered the least, but tight resistance, followed by the Harvester CR and finally the short black which I am not sure I could load without a short starter.

I guess I have never followed up on this because the Orange MMP and the Knight Red sabots fit and work so well.

sabotloader said:
Muley Hunter said:

If it is an Orange sabot with a 300 grain bullet or even the the 275 - both bullets are .458. The red sabots are the same as the Orange sabots just died red.

The 300 grain deep curl should have come fitted in a HPH-24 Black sabot. And those bullets were .452.

Do you have any JB's - since that gun is new it would not hurt to run a 100 strokes through the bore and of course shooting it will help it loosen up...

This is confusing. I have 12 bullets. 6 are a little longer than the other 6, but they all seem to be the same diameter.

Muley Hunter said:
sabotloader said:
Muley Hunter said:

This is confusing. I have 12 bullets. 6 are a little longer than the other 6, but they all seem to be the same diameter.

All of the brass bullets are .458. The copper lead bullets with the concave base are .452 Speers. They should have been in packages with the correct sabots.

These are the brass bullets I shipped...

Lehigh300DOA.jpg

The .458-275's are just a bit shorter than the 300's - hopefulley I sent some of them...

I do not think I shipped any of the 250 grain brass bullets....

This is what the concave bases Speers look like

Bi-SectGoldDot-1.jpg

If you look in this picture you can find in the bottom picture a 452-250 grain Speer and a .452-300 grain Speer. They go in the black sabots... And maybe I did send you some 250 Speers with a real deep hollow point..

GoldDotPerformance.jpg

Yes, I know the Speers. I was just talking about the Lehighs. I didn't know you had some 275 gr in the mix. So, that explains the different lengths.

So, they are all the same diameter, and the red and orange sabots are the same but dyed different.

How come I can't get any of the red sabots started in the barrel, but the orange sabots go right in about like the Speers.

I wonder how the PT Gold with the crush rib sabots would do?

The bore looks perfect with even pressure all the way down. I don't really want to JB it. I just need to find the right bullet/sabot combo.

It is a tight bore. I tried a Powerbelt, and it went down pretty hard. Harder than any CVA i've had.

I have a feeling this gun will shoot any bullet well. I just need a proper fit.

Muley Hunter said:
Yes, I know the Speers. I was just talking about the Lehighs. I didn't know you had some 275 gr in the mix. So, that explains the different lengths.

So, they are all the same diameter, and the red and orange sabots are the same but dyed different.

How come I can't get any of the red sabots started in the barrel, but the orange sabots go right in about like the Speers.

That is a really good question and I do not have an answer. I have always felt the red sabots loaded just a bit easier than did the orange ones. Got me...

I wonder how the PT Gold with the crush rib sabots would do?

I have never used or shot the Golds so no help here...

The bore looks perfect with even pressure all the way down. I don't really want to JB it. I just need to find the right bullet/sabot combo.

I JB all of my new rifles just to get it over with... and again that is a new rifle you will shoot the first shots from it. So after awhile it was loosen on its own if you do not JB it.

It is a tight bore. I tried a Powerbelt, and it went down pretty hard. Harder than any CVA i've had.

I have a feeling this gun will shoot any bullet well. I just need a proper fit.

yep!

Muley Hunter said:
Mike.....Isn't this a brass bullet? It says .452.

http://www.knightrifles.com/bloodline-bullets-M900542/

Never mind. You meant all the brass bullets I have are .458. Sorry.

Maybe the 250gr .452 is what I need?

Yes it is a .452 in a Knight Orange sabot which is the same sabot that I sent you only in Black.

Could be it would be the same as the Speers that I sent in size.

The bullet being .006 smaller has to help no matter what sabot I use. Don't you think?

Keep in mind i'm working with a squeaky clean bore now. With some fouling it will be a bear to load.

I'll figure it out.

Back