Question On Sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muley Hunter

Reaction score
Ok, I bow to the experience from you guys on sabots. I'm going to be just hunting for black bear from now on. We have to stalk in Colorado, so I never know what sort of shot i'll get. I might have to bust through a shoulder and you know how bear shoulders are. Tough!

So, my first thought was to use Barnes T-EZ 290gr. Being an old coot. I like to keep the recoil down as much as possible. I use BH out of a light Wolf. The T-EZ loads really tight but I can get it down ok. Just to give you an idea of my bore size.

I then got to thinking about the XTP. I've never shot one but I know they have a good reputation. I seem to remember there's two versions. One is stronger. Is that the Mag? So, i'm looking at this one.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....int45-caliber-300-grain-xtp-bullets-(30-pack)

Is it a better choice for my application than the Barnes? How would it load compared to the T-EZ with the sabots it comes with. It says easy loading but who knows what that means compared to the Barnes? Keeping in mind if it's even a little tighter than the Barnes I won't get it down. The price is sure better than the Barnes.

What do you guys think and what do you think for a powder load that won't kick too hard but be plenty to get the job done?

What bothers me a little bit is the Barnes can be picky about expanding if it isn't pushed hard enough. The lead XTP should be more forgiving.

Yeah, you're right. I think i'll just stay with the Barnes. I know they fit.

Someone correct me here if I'm wrong but I believe the supplied sabot with the Tez is the mmp hph12? If that's the case you could try the mmp 3 Petal easy or the Harvester crush rib for a better fit. I would try 100 grains MEASURED Black Horn.

I did try the Harvester CR sabots and they were too loose. I didn't think there would be that much difference.

I'm ok though. The blue sabots work fine.

The Barnes 250 gr T-EZ has taken 12 deer in a row out of my Accura V2 using 2 pellets of T7. I haven't used any other bullets because of the excellent performance using the Barnes. Shooting the bullet with the dark blue sabot. FWIW

Yes sir, it is the HPH-24. That said, if you are at all concerned with expansion from the tipped TEZ, you could always shoot the 300 grain Barnes MZ-Expander (which, as I am sure you know, has no tip). That said, the MZ-Expanders ship with HPH-12 sabots, which you will need to replace with the HPH-24 sabots so that they load the same as the 290 grain TEZ. The folks at Western Powders say you can get the following APPROXIMATE velocities with the respective load, using the 300 grain MZ-Expander (although they don't list the rifle used):

80 grains BY VOLUME BH 209 - 1,687 fps
100 grains BY VOLUME BH 209 - 1,892 fps
120 grains BY VOLUME BH 209 - 2,092 fps

I successfully used 250 grain Barnes MZ Expanders until I discovered the Bloodline bullets, which changed my life ;)

I had forgotten about this video. I had watched it years ago and it looks like the bullet expands easily.

Latest posts

Back