Questions about a Pedersoli Remington Rolling Block

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyatt

Reaction score
I've got this fifty caliber rolling block with a rusty barrel - about 3" of the muzzle are significantly rusted. Not very deep, but there is pitting. Any idea what a replacement barrel would cost? Where would I find one?

Secondly, it's a muzzle loader. I thought all rolling blocks were breech loaders. Any idea what's involved converting to cartridges?

Not sure that's even possible with your rifle,converting it that is. You could probably have it re barreled or take the barrel off and have it re bored to a larger caliber? Pedersoli made a muzzleloading version of the rolling block. They also make copies of the Remington roller in cartridge. I have no experience with either versions.

Yup, this is the copy of the Remington roller muzzle loader. I'll be looking into the cost of replacement barrels today, plus the option of boring it out to 54.

And you're right - Pedersoli made the muzzle loader version different than the breech loader, so it's not possible to convert mine to cartridges.

Bobby Hoyt could possibly reline your existing barrel if you want it to remain a 50. Heck maybe even a fast twist 45 cal reline would be even better. Don’t have his contact information right now. Do a search for his name on here. He is very reasonable and does premo work.

How long is the barrel? It might be feasible to cut the barrel just past the bad area, recrown and cut the front sight dovetail.

It's long enough, Andy, but unfortunately, after pulling the breech plug and getting a good look, there are rust spots everywhere. I guess it's a good sign I couldn't see the majority of them without a bright light on them, so maybe cleaning them up might make it a pretty good shooter.

I had contemplated cutting off the end before I saw the extent of the damage. But who knows, it could still be a great shooter once cleaned up - only way to know is by doing it. Nothing to lose but a little time.

Latest posts

Back