Ramrod for Barrel with Brake?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew323

Reaction score
When my Optima V2 pistol has the MZ-REX 2 muzzle brake installed, I am going to need a longer ramrod to fit under the barrel.

What are my options?

Should I just order a couple of short Gunn Innovations Ramrods from Spin Jag?

Drilled and tapped on both ends for 10-32 female threads?

Of the proper length (short by 2 3/16") to accept a .50 caliber Spin Jag ramrod tip?

If I ordered one long enough to act as a range rod / cleaning rod, will the rubber Palm Saver from CVA that comes with the pistol fit the 10-32 threads, or are they metric?

When my Optima V2 pistol has the MZ-REX 2 muzzle brake installed, I am going to need a longer ramrod to fit under the barrel.

What are my options?

Of the proper length (short by 2 3/16") to accept a .50 caliber Spin Jag ramrod tip?

If I ordered one long enough to act as a range rod / cleaning rod, will the rubber Palm Saver from CVA that comes with the pistol fit the 10-32 threads, or are they metric?
I dunno . I like the tc rugged rods myself . Kinda heavy but very tough !!! I cut them to where i need them . I take them out when i hunt too and set them beside me . You wont break or even flex those ones much !!! Durable dont even cover the description of them .

What are my options?

That cva palmsaver replacement doesnt have that kind of threads. It just slips over the end of the rod or replaces a broken one.
1589121596842260014098125383898.jpg

My first style of the Optima pistol came with the cap to screw onto the threaded end of the rod. My V2 came with the cap already attached. Not seeing the rod extending out in front of the muzzle on a shot resulted in me having to walk 50 yards down range to pick up the rod, without the cap. No idea where the cap went. The rod on this newer model was smooth on both ends so the assumption is that the newer guns come with the cap either pressed on or glued on. I saw not trace of glue on the cap end. I still have the rod and use it at the range.

That cva palmsaver replacement doesnt have that kind of threads. It just slips over the end of the rod or replaces a broken one.
View attachment 8897

The threads in that palm saver match the extended cleaning jag on their CVA ramrods. Unscrew the palm saver, turn the rod around and it is your cleaning jag. At least that is how my two 24" CVA rods work.

If it was me, I would have a barrel cut shorter when adding a brake to maintain the weight and balance. If needed, moving the thimble back or make due with one thimble and delete open sights if it has any. (sorry, I missed this was a pistol, maybe cutting the barrel not best way to go, I have the pistol too. My remarks that follow still apply))

My new purchased CVA Optima had the palm rest packed loose in the box. It was thrreaded for the end of the rod. It also shipped with an extended jag (about 3") for complete pass through when the plug was removed. A spin jag would provide a few extra inches of reach as a side benefit.

I forgot to mention the CVA extended jag is threaded on both ends so it could be double extended for cleaning a longer barrel, using two.

Last edited:
If it was me, I would have a barrel cut shorter when adding a brake to maintain the weight and balance. If needed, moving the thimble back or make due with one thimble and delete open sights if it has any. (sorry, I missed this was a pistol, maybe cutting the barrel not best way to go, I have the pistol too. My remarks that follow still apply))

My new purchased CVA Optima had the palm rest packed loose in the box. It was thrreaded for the end of the rod. It also shipped with an extended jag (about 3") for complete pass through when the plug was removed. A spin jag would provide a few extra inches of reach as a side benefit.

I forgot to mention the CVA extended jag is threaded on both ends so it could be double extended for cleaning a longer barrel, using two.
My Barnes bullet jag which screws into the end of my CVA jag. My rod has witness marks, (tape), for loaded and unloaded conditions for my Accura V2.
tM1xPggh.jpg

Back