Ramrod length affect shot?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iahntr

Reaction score
If the ramrod sticks past the end of the barrel, due to having a loading tool attached to the end of your ram rod like the Barnes aligner tool, does it affect the shot?

Iahntr said:
If the ramrod sticks past the end of the barrel, due to having a loading tool attached to the end of your ram rod like the Barnes aligner tool, does it affect the shot?

Only if the bullet comes into contact with the tool.

Thanks Ed

It doesn't stick past the end of the muzzle much, but was curious.

yep don't worry about it. Mine sticks past the end of the muzzle by about an inch. I tested this shooting groups a few years ago and it makes no noticeable difference.

Iahntr said:

There is a very remote but possible chance that the extension could affect the shot. I personally would not shoot tit that way as a petal from a sabot could possibly open enough to catch the rod extension. Awful remote but possible.

I always cut my rods or get a rod that can be made to fit with the extension installed.

This is an example..

MuzMittwithband.jpg

How does one go about shortening the ramrod? Mines aluminum I believe.

Iahntr said:

If yours is a solid ram rod it can be cut with a hack saw or you might even be able to cut it with a tubing cutter. Dress the end after the cut, drill and use a 10-32 tap to thread the new hole.

It might be easier just to purchase a Universal ram rod like this and then cut it to length and install the press fit part.

http://www.bing.com/shopping/thompson-c ... ORM=CMSMEE

That way you can keep your original rod as is.

Iahntr said:

Most knights have a roll pin in the rear. Some were glued in.

The rear pin drifts out with a hammer and punch. You can use a pipe cutter to do the job properly. A hacksaw if you want to make it look like a butcher did it. Cut to lenghth. Drill the hole for proper size and drift in a new roll pin. Don't try and use the old one. Job is finished.

If its glued in you will need a heat source to loosen the glue. A small propane torch or heat gun will be sufficient. Get the glue hot and remove the end and cut with pipe cutter. Re Glue and your done.

Thanks guys. I'm mainly talking about the one on my V2 as that's what's getting the nod this year. It has the hallow aluminum ramrod. I'm not sure how the ends are held in either, need to look closer. I know one end screws out about 3 inches so I'd be shortening the other end.

All mine stick out past the muzzle am inch or a bit more, I also tested before I went with the extension and found it makes no difference what ever.

Back