Ramrod spring

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperKirby

Reaction score
So I have a problem I've been fighting for about year. I thought I figured it out, only to find out I didn't.

I have a Boyds laminate stock set for my Pro Hunter. Since getting it I've never been able to get the forend to fit right. If I snug the screws up tight, the ramrod won't pull out. If I leave the forend loose enough to pull out the ramrod, I get a bunch of wobble in the forend.
I thought I had found the problem to be the forend screws were too long and were going through the studs and pinching the rod. I looked all over for new screws, couldn't find the right size anywhere, so finally ordered some. These came in the mail yesterday, only to find out they weren't the problem. But I have stainless forend screws now, so that's ok.

From what I can tell my problem is actually the ramrod spring. The Boyds stock didn't come with a spring, so I ordered a TC replacement from Eabco. It appears the spring is too tall. I shortened it, shaped it, bent it, unbent it. I can't get it to not pinch the ramrod when the forend is tightened up snug.
What am I missing here?

I dont think they would help because its a Boyds laminate forend. I believe they would recommend putting the TC stock back on.

Have you tried installing the forend without the spring, then seeing if the ramrod hangs up? Maybe the ramrod channel needs some more inletting or modifying for the spring.

Installed it without the spring last night. Ramrod doesnt get hung up but also doesnt stay in.
I'll play with it some more tomorrow or as soon as i have time . If i cant get it reshaped enough i think ill try to inlet it into the stock some.

That's Good. I would expect the ramrod to fall out without the spring. If it did not then I would suspect the entire rod channel as the issue. Sort of sounds more like an inletting issue where the spring is. Can you post a pic of the forend and where the spring is? What holds the spring in, a screw or the swivel stud? If you install the spring and then slide the ram rod in, does it feel like it hits something solid then moves around it?

My new 32 inline has this happen. In my case the spring is holding the ram rod up against the barrel so that the ram rod hits the end of the action, my barrel is slightly smaller OD than the action so there is a step for it to hit. In my case I am not too worried about it yet. Mine is sort of a Proto Type just built. I don't have the Prohunter or encore platform so I only mention it as it may give a different perspective to look at. Not exactly uncommon to have to do a little more work on the inletting of an aftermarket stock.

The spring is just a piece of bent spring steel with a little screw on one end. It screws between the 2 studs. Before I started bending it, it did get pushed up and would hit the top of the stud before going through it. I got past that obstacle, and now and working on just cant get it removed once it's in.
I'll hopefully work on it again this morning and see if I get anywhere. I think I'm just hesitant to start removing wood. Probably not much reason to be though.

The spring is just a piece of bent spring steel with a little screw on one end. It screws between the 2 studs. Before I started bending it, it did get pushed up and would hit the top of the stud before going through it. I got past that obstacle, and now and working on just cant get it removed once it's in.
I'll hopefully work on it again this morning and see if I get anywhere. I think I'm just hesitant to start removing wood. Probably not much reason to be though.

I know I’m bringing this post back from the dead but do you get it figured out? I’m running into the same situation, in that I have a Tony Gettel forend that came without a spring and have just begun to figure a solution.

Yes I did. I just don’t remember what I did. I think I ended up modifying the spring shape some and I think I ended up with the spring screw being a bit too tight. I can’t remeber. I just know I messed with it a bunch.

Oh, I think I may have tried spinning the spring to face the other direction. This was a few years ago now and I know I got it but don’t remember how exactly but when I did it seemed real obvious.

The laminate stock I had it in from Boyd’s ended up splitting right behind the trigger guard so I went back to composite.

I had the same thing happen with my last barrel and a Gettel stock but always assumed it was my fault as I was using a lead sled and allowed the grip cap, smack the bottom of the sled. Cracked clean through one of the ears of the stock. Guess I may want to rethink using another Gettel stockset. That wa an expensive mistake.

Latest posts

Back