Ramrod

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know for sure because I shoot/practice like I hunt and that's with ramrod in gun. If your going to strictly bench shoot might be worth checking out.

You only mentioned ACCURACY so IMO yes, it can be better leaving it out. Case in point... shooters at matches do not shoot with the ramrod in the rifle. Many remove thimbles or ramrod holders.

Thanks, I practice how I hunt also , but always striving for better accuracy, l was thinking of getting one of the 3 piece ramrods and hunt without it in the gun , depending on how much better my guns shoot without the rod, thanks for the replies everyone

If you hunt with the ramrod on the gun then practice with it on the gun. If you don't then don't. Leaving the ramrod on the gun is something I don't have to carry elsewhere. At the range I also practice atleast some of the time actually reloading with the ramrod just so I'm use to it. It can help out in the woods so I'm not fumbling around dropping things.

Last edited:
With a bench gun there is no advantage in having a rod ferruled up or even to have ferrules on the gun outside of aesthetics and they don't affect accuracy. I have replacement rods in all of my rifles and use a range rod while on the bench leaving the rods I hunt with in the ferrules while I shoot. Accuracy isn't an issue this way at all. I haven't seen any change in accuracy shooting with the rod out though either, but I like consistency so there's always a rod in place. I sometimes wonder if some folks need an excuse for shooting poorly one day. lol

I have found several of mine to shoot better without. In theory it would make sense . If you think about how important it is to free float a barrel in a good target rifle. I use a 3 piece ram rod and remove the Ferrell’s and sand out the barrel channel in the stock and have seen improvement on most all of my bolt guns. On my break opens I haven’t seen much if any difference.

I don't notice a big difference at 100 yards, but at 200 yards my point of impact shifts noticeably low and right by at least an inch and groups open up about 25% with ramrod in. Oscillation nodes seem to be a real thing with my rifle. I'm somewhat lucky in that my "Loaded" witness mark falls right where the furthest ferrule toward the muzzle lies with ramrod stowed, so 2 wraps of electrical tape creates a vibration damper. It doesn't help accuracy, but at least it keeps it from rattling around when slung over my shoulder in the field. In deer season, I shoot off of sticks from a ground blind so I suppose I could remove the ramrod to reclaim range accuracy, but the longest shot I've taken in public land woods was about 80 yards so I'd rather lose 1/4 MOA than lose track of my ramrod.

I would say shoot like you hunt. That said, I can't imaging a ramrod hanging off your free floating barrel NOT opening up groups or shifting POI at longer ranges. I build my SML's without the means to attach a ramrod so I can't make a direct comparison of with and without. I just buy a shotgun cleaning rods and modify them to be a ramrod that comes apart at threaded joints to go in a pouch or my backpack.

I hunt with my ramrod in but it sure does kick like a mule when I shoot it out!:elmer:
That's what I thought this thread was going to be about! I don't recall a noticeable a difference, but when I'm at "the range", the ramrod is an extra with a T-handle, on the bench next to me, so it never comes out of the thimbles. I was sure lookin' forward to somebody's picture of a ramrod punched into a target!

Like another poster, my field rod lives in the gun and I use a range rod at the range. I suspect your POI will change without the rod, grouping less so. Unless you can replicate your range setup from your deer stand, assuming you hunt deer, there are other equally important variables. At the range, I've had significant change in POI at 200 from just the placement of my uninvolved hand from lying flat on the bench under the grip, to resting firmly on top of it. (Knight Disc Elite)
This year, I placed a board across a tripod stand with a sandbag on it to better approximate my range conditions. It paid off with 5 deer from 100-156yds, whether from accuracy or confidence, I can't be sure, but whichever way you go with the rod, be annaly consistent, right down to aligning the sabot pedals in the crown. Good luck and let us know your results.

Could it Be just a Confidence Builder... As some say it helps and others don't think so. It is like something if you need some Confidence in your Equipment and have it in great. As another mentioned While Hunting why fumble around pulling out a 3 piece or what ever you carry when it has a place to make it Simple when you are needing to Reload... and maybe why they have it attached to the ML.
I see no reason not to have it as it makes little difference and being comfortable Afield is what some are looking for.
LFM

I have thought about this subject a lot. I personally do not hunt with my ramrod in the thimbles. Only because I do not practise this way but I honestly do not think it makes a difference if the gun is sighted in with the ram rod in its holders.

Hankins builds some of the very nicest custom muzzleloaders. Jeff Hankins standard build includes a ramrod with holders. A ramrod must not effect accuracy or Hankins would not build his rifles including a ramrod

I have thought about this subject a lot. I personally do not hunt with my ramrod in the thimbles. Only because I do not practise this way but I honestly do not think it makes a difference if the gun is sighted in with the ram rod in its holders.

Hankins builds some of the very nicest custom muzzleloaders. Jeff Hankins standard build includes a ramrod with holders. A ramrod must not effect accuracy or Hankins would not build his rifles including a ramrod

Just a question, as I know you've been to the shoots, have you noticed anyone shooting for groups with the ramrod in the rifle? ;)

You know what ? I think Jeff Hankins does shoot with his ramrod in. Although Jeffs gun is a cannon.

I personally am afraid the ramrod may effect the barrels harmonics but i honestly think if the load is developed with ramrod in I bet it really does not matter.

Back