Ramrod

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did some checking . At the First Kentucky Challege Jeff Hankins shot a .120 group at 100 yards with his standard custom build with the ramrod in its holder . Now he competes with Cyclops (which is a monster of a gun)and he still shoots with the ramrod attached to the gun.

Did some checking . At the First Kentucky Challege Jeff Hankins shot a .120 group at 100 yards with his standard custom build with the ramrod in its holder . Now he competes with Cyclops (which is a monster of a gun)and he still shoots with the ramrod attached to the gun.

I'll bet you a soda, that he (Jeff Hankins) shoots a smokeless rifle, with smokeless charges and land riding bullets in .45cal or less. ;)
Just no way to compare shooting the weakest link, a sabot, to shooting sabotless. When using sabots you need to eliminate every contributing factor possible for extreme accuracy, especially at distance. If you're taking hunting ability with the ramrod in, with most shooting game at less than 100yds, it won't make a difference.

I personally do not think smokless or sabots has anything to do with the ramrod. I am not at all trying to be a smarty pants . But i do understand eliminating all factors.

Personally I always have my ramrod in the holders under the barrel where it’s supposed to be. I wouldn’t have one of the 3 piece ramrod seperate from the gun. I’m a treestand hunter and 90% of my time is spent 20-25ft up a tree in a summit climber. If I had a 3 piece ramrod seperate from the gun I would also have to carry a spare 3 piece ramrod in my pack or somewhere. Because I guarantee I would be sitting 25ft in the air looking down at a 3 piece ramrod laying on the ground. Because it fell out of my pocket or I dropped it or something. I have seen it before being a bowhunter with a t handle release that’s why I always carried a spare.

I always generally like to make everything as easy as possible and carry as little as possible with me in the woods.

I always practice like I hunt, so I use a range rod. I'm good to 200 meters on elk with the ramrod in. I do notice a small difference without the ramrod. I made a custom ramrod from a shotgun cleaning rod, with an adapter from Eastern Maine Shooting supplies. I cut it to fit my gun, and rethreaded the handle. In all my years elk and deer hunting, getting a second shot (and needing one) has been a rare occurrence.

Latest posts

Back