Ramrods?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive got no ramrod or thimbles on my 700sml but left them on all the others. It doesnt seem to affect accuracy for me. Also the collapsible rod i have is no good for swabbing if i needed to. Ive got a new knight 3 piece rod that may change all that tho.

when i was cleaning the old optima given/loaned to me i was taking the thimble off and the screw broke .... no biggie since i was gonna leave the stock ramrod off and just carry my range rod with me .
everything isn't for everybody .

Last edited:
I have Rifles with & without. I have a Habit of removing the Ramrod while sitting in a Blind or Stand. This Cost me this Year on a Nice 4 x 4 Mule Deer 😞. I Left the Rod on the side of the Hill & my Backpack with the Collapsible Rod inside, duh, while making a Short Stalk. I Shot Over him & he didn't go Far but I had to wait until He & (6) other Bucks passed behind some Buckbrush so I could scramble back up the Hill to Finish Reloading :wall: I managed to get a Velvet 3 x 3 but the Big One Got Away.

My 50's all have the ramrods (700 ML/MLS, Savage 10ML2, A&H420 etc)... I leave them in and use a range rod to load/clean so that the rifle shoots consistently with the rod installed. I keep the range rod in the truck if I'm hunting somewhere other than my own land (rare occasion now-a-days).

Only use the rifle's rod if I have to do some sort of field reload away from the house/truck... but that is a rare occasion. Or I use the rifle's ramrod to check if the rifle is charged as each has a witness mark for their respective rifle/barrel.

My one 45 MLS came as a barreled action that I build up into a Boyds stock... thus no ramrod installed.

I leave the rods on my factory BP guns but my SML's were built by me and I never got around to making a suitable mount for the rod. I made a thread together 3 piece rod out of alum & brass. I keep it in a pouch on my hip. If I'm gonna be in a stand any length of time I'll assemble it and keep it near me. I haven't need a second shot so far but I suspect that whether that second shot comes in one minute or three minutes they'll both be too late.

Back