Ran some numbers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
The Speer 45 260gr has a pretty low .183 BC so i was curious how it would look on paper. I can easily get this speed or even more in the NULA but lets just go with 2100fps. Most of you guys can get pretty close to that in a 50cal and its not hard at all in a 45cal sabotless. My NULA 50cal or a MLII can easily hit 2250fps with this bullet.

100 yards
ATvgC6Y.jpg

150 yards
xzry9Qb.jpg

200 yards just for giggles. I will probably never shoot that far but need it for a comparison.
J42epHQ.jpg

So how does this compare to a pointy 250 FTX@2200fps (typical 450 BM speed) costing more than double what i paid?

Not all that bad IMO. Like ive said many times....If you are shooting within 150yards BC is basically meaningless. SAVE YOUR MONEY.
wezofTo.jpg

I gave about $13-14/50 for these before the madness. Got 1 box locally cheap and 1 from Sportmans. I have no doubt they will do all i need out to 150yds. I would wager most guys are taking deer within 150yd using readily available MLs from big box stores. Then they buy the most expensive pointy bullet they can find that offers ZERO advantage within the distance they will most likely take a deer. I would rather choose a bullet with basically perfect impact performance vs the tiny difference you get from a slightly higher BC bullet that does much worse holding together.

Even with the pitiful .183 BC its a point and shoot with a 100yd zero out to 150yd. At 150yd it retains more FPE than a 44mag does at the muzzle. With a 150yd zero it still just aim and shoot to 175yd and good for almost 1200fpe. You would be about 6" low at 200yd and still over 1000fpe

You got me thinking about my choices of bullets, you’re correct, every deer i have killed could have been done with any slug.way back when we killed them with 80 grains black and a round ball.I really got hung up on ceb maximus for 2 years now, but the prior years were hornady ftx 325 in a 52, awesome at 150.I recently lost my farm lease so now back in the woods for next year, 100 yards will be long now, anything will kill there, I still think shot placement is key no matter what, took plenty with power belts. with the price of everything today it just makes sense to shoot what you can afford, it will work at those ranges, but I really like the ultra lite 45 with 90 and the 240 maximus so sweet shooting,recoil is
mild and puts them down at 100 fast

This is not so much about cheap vs expensive but you do sometimes save a little by getting a similar bullet without the tip. Such as a Barnes TEZ vs a Expander MZ. I can understand the desire to shoot a lead free alternative and none of those are exactly cheap. As far as the 325gr FTX, i got some really cheap years ago at a gun show. IMO its a better bullet than the 300gr FTX/SST and a really good bullet for the 52cal instead of shooting a Barnes Original.

Lots of us, including myself just dont get many shots that benefit from a high BC bullet and/or dont have a place to practice enough making those kinda shots. I do however see TONS of guys asking, "If my shot is here at 100yd where should it be at 250yd?". You know good and well this is common. They dont follow through with practice. Then go out hunting and are willing to take that "Hail Mary" shot without ever taking a shot at that range until they see a deer.

I was never much of a fan of the 250gr DeepCurl unless its for a milder loads. I wanted a bullet that is cheap enough to practice and durable enough to be shot at speeds both my 45 1-20 and my NULA 50 like to shoot them. I think the Speer 260gr Uni-Cor fits that bill pretty well and its super affordable. I may even see if i can work up a good milder load for my NULA this year and use it if im drawn.

GM what is your opinion on the 300 gr Deep curl .452 bullet? I bought a 500 count box a while ago.

I am certainly not GM but.... I would like to add this.

In my little world - I consider the Gold Dot now a Deep Curl "a poor man's Nosler Partition" They are a very god bullet.

Expanded Nosler

expandedNosler.jpg

Expanded Deep Curl/Gold Dots Recovered from wet clay burm

GoldDotPerformance.jpg

Back