Range Day Tomorrow - Clean Between Shots With Blackhorn 209?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulF70

Reaction score
I used only B209 in my inline rifles and have never cleaned between shots.

I now realize that shooting too quickly in the past has likely decreased my accuracy.

I am reading of guys saying they wait ten minutes between shots. That seems crazy.

But I will wait a couple minutes at least, and if I am, I might as well swab the bore, I am thinking, even though I know many claim it would make accuracy worse. I don't think that'll be the case as long as there is consistency.

I would like to get some data points from those that shoot Blackhorn 209:

- How long do you wait between shots?
- Do you swab, and if so with what?

I don’t usually swab but probably would if I were shooting longer range (350+). 50/50 Hoppes/alcohol.

How long between shots depends on the ambient temps. Also depends on if you’re shooting sabots or bullet-to-bore. Using a cooling rod in hot/warm weather cuts my wait time from 10-20 min to 5 min or so.

When I sight in I shoot 3-5 and let my barrel cool for about 5 minutes between shots. After I shoot my string I pull my BP, remove vent liner and remove the carbon from the flash channel with a drill bit. I will sometimes run a dry patch down the barrel but not always. I found my accuracy drops with carbon build up in the flash channel however I have never noticed a drop off in accuracy if I don't run a patch down my barrel.

When I'm shooting with Blackhorn, I swab the barrel after 5 or 6 shots. Probably don't have to though.
If I have the range all to myself, which is most of the time, I walk down to check my target, walk back and reload.
Those couple of minutes lets the barrel cool down enough.
If I don't have the range to myself, I just take my time reloading.

I shoot Thor bullets which are a little looser than desired so my first shot out of the box is to get all oil out of the barrel by swabbing it dry, then fire a primer. I try to duplicate that condition with each follow up shot by swabbing clean, then dry, then a primer shot. It's a pita, but seems to give me the most consistent groups at the range. In the field, I wont be swabbing.

I didn't swab - till I had to. After 15 295 gr PowerBelt HPs thru my CVA Accura MR-X it was almost impossible to get another down.

I pulled the breech plug and ran a couple Ballistol patches then a couple dry.

My other gun, a T/C Encore FX, doesn't do that.

(Yet they both shoot almost exactly the same, about 1.5" at 100Y. That was off just a single bag too and I think a good shooter could do a bit better. 70gr 209.)

I forgot to mention that after I cleaned the next two shots were several inches off. This is disturbing. A clean bore in the field is never going to shoot like the last group at the range.

Yeah but what a pickle! Where do you take your fouling shot? In the woods? That's not legal in most places (public land) and obviously spooks game.

Then, do you clean the gun at the end of the day? You have to. What a pain at the end of a day in the woods.

Whoa... that's awesome.

My Accura has a lifetime warranty on the barrel which supposedly cannot corrode so I should perhaps get a little more liberal on cleaning.

You don't clean the breech plug after the range either?

A BH209 fouled barrel can definitely pit and corrode. (Especially on the east coast area where humidity levels fluctuate a lot.) I know this from personal experience plus others it has happened to. Even in stainless bores.
Now, I will usually shoot off about five to six 209 primers to foul my bore prior to loading it for hunting. Seems to work pretty good for me and a few others I know.
I use the same technique with #11 caps prior to loading my side locks with Swiss black powder.
Fouling from the primers and #11 caps are not corrosive.

Last edited:
For context, I'm not much of a target shooter. My range work is geared towards developing hunting loads. I can't bring myself to hunt on a fouled bore. I know it works for others, but I don't care for it. I like to sight in on a clean cold bore. When I pick my hunting load, I will fully clean the barrel and have it cold for each shot. This way I know where the first shot at game will be. When that is locked in, I shot two shot groups. This shows me where a follow-up shot will be. It can be tedious, but works for me. It helps that I have the luxury of at least limited range shooting in my backyard.

I have found no detriment to accuracy when using BH209 & not cleaning or wiping between shots even when firing over 50 shots in a range session. Interestingly, when using sabots, I find that I get the best groups if I wait several minutes between shots & if I keep the barrel out of the summer sun during range sessions. I believe the heat softens the sabot enough to have an effect. I have no scientific data but that’s my theory. However I lack the patience & so i shoot around 3-5 shots before letting it cool.

When at the range I always clean between shots. I hunt with a clean bore as well. When I do shoot it while hunting, when I get home I clean it good then get it ready to hunt again.

Latest posts

Back