Range fees in your parts.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half-Cocked

Reaction score
I feel bad. Here in Michigan the DNR has some state run shooting ranges. The closest to me is about a 25 min drive and off on a dirt road that looks like the German country side. Absolutely gorgeous; I love Michigan.

Anyway, I have had an awesome time going there and talking with the range officers. Some of the coolest people I have met and they are 100 percent on range safety. Best part it was only 4 bucks for all day shooting any lane!

Well winter is coming and I no longer have the ol quattro por quattro aka 4x4. So I joined williams range. 200 bucks fer the year. Breaking this down I would have to go to the range 50 times in a year to make it come to about 4 bucks per visit. HOWEVER huge plus is the indoor 25 yard range. Plus steel targets plus shotgun spread test too!

Which makes me wonder... How much are range memberships in your area and what do you do? Annual? Member? Or single visit?

For all of those who's range is just outside thier back door on thier property I envy you so much.

Out my back door is free. The one I’m a member of is $100/year but it’s a nice place and me and a good friend have a blast when we go there.

I’ve never paid to shoot because we have so much public land. I’d gladly pay to shoot at a well maintained range though, if there was one close. We have only two near here. One is an indoor range, one an outdoor, both about a half hour away. The one time I went to the outdoor range, it was closed so I have never gone back. The public ground is never closed, but you do have to load and unload everything every time you go, bench, target frame, etc.... it would be nice to just throw in the gun and tackle box and go.

There Isn’t much near me, for $35 a year I have access to a range that has covered shooting benches and 25, 50 and 100 yard target stands. It’s not much but I’m glad to have it. I’d happily pay $200 a year to join a place with more to offer.

The public range near me is pretty nice. Trap and clays, outdoor covered ranges 25/50/100. Steel pistol shoots on sundays at 25yd. $15 per day for as long as you like. But i go so much the wife said its getting costly. So i joined a local gun club for $150 a year. Indoor pistol rang, clubhouse, cpl classes, clays/trap/skeet, 50 meter outdoor pistol range, 100yd, 300yd, archery 3d, and a new set of IDPA? stations. Not sure but it sounds like those are situation shooting stations, covered and bermed. I love it. Wife can join as an associate member for additional $5 and i can bring a guest with me to everything, except 300yd, for $5(liability reasons). Officially we are not allowed to target shoot on public land here in Michigan. I can also shoot on the farm that we lease for hunting.

The public range near me is pretty nice. Trap and clays, outdoor covered ranges 25/50/100. Steel pistol shoots on sundays at 25yd. $15 per day for as long as you like. But i go so much the wife said its getting costly. So i joined a local gun club for $150 a year. Indoor pistol rang, clubhouse, cpl classes, clays/trap/skeet, 50 meter outdoor pistol range, 100yd, 300yd, archery 3d, and a new set of IDPA? stations. Not sure but it sounds like those are situation shooting stations, covered and bermed. I love it. Wife can join as an associate member for additional $5 and i can bring a guest with me to everything, except 300yd, for $5(liability reasons). Officially we are not allowed to target shoot on public land here in Michigan. I can also shoot on the farm that we lease for hunting.

Now that sounds like a pretty sweet deal. If it wasn't farther away from where I live I would join.

There Isn’t much near me, for $35 a year I have access to a range that has covered shooting benches and 25, 50 and 100 yard target stands. It’s not much but I’m glad to have it. I’d happily pay $200 a year to join a place with more to offer.

See now because I'm cheap Id really like that offer actually. 35 bucks just for some cover and a place to shoot outside heck yeah. Especially if it was close or near town.

So my fears are true I'm actually paying a pretty penny at this range oh well at least it's nice and the people are cool.

Let's be honest it's not really the range fees it gets you it's a damn ammo. I can burn through a box of 50 9 mm cartridges in 20 minutes.

I'm going to absolutely miss the DNR range though and all the cool people over there plus I love to support the Michigan DNR.

I can shoot right out in my backyard but my wife gets upset about it when she's home. I sometimes go up to the state wma shooting range. It's free, the only thing is you have to have a valid hunting license to use the range.

I pay $50.00 yearly at the club I use. 25 to 300 yard. Pistol range. Archery range. Trap and skeet. I can get a 50% fee reduction if I sign up for work detail thru the summer months but the spots for that detail are generally filled the first meeting night in January. Its half hour drive which I'm fine with. I usually get there early to shoot the first thing and can avoid others. I always bring the pistol so I shoot the rifle range first, then move to the pistol only area and as a rule I have that all to my lonesome by the time I finish on the long range. Good club. NRA sanctioned.

In Mizzery our Department of Conversation has free public shooting ranges. They are concrete benches with target stands at 25, 50 and 100 yards. No range officers are around on weekdays when I used to frequent them. The window lickers and crayon eaters that also use these ranges ran me off. I was about to squeeze the trigger on a 30-06 when another patron four lanes down walks down to attach a new target.
I found Owl Creek Gun club a similar distance from home in the opposite direction. The rifle range goes out to 300 yards, they host cowboy shoots, and have hunting and fishing available to members. The $200 annual fee is a little pricey for the area but no club has a 300 yard range and covered shooting tables.

I live in Illinois not the best place for gun ownership. My buddy has a range that I helped setup on an old railroad bed that he bought. We have steel targets out to 500 yds and covered benches. Price is a little labor now and then. It is 4 miles from my home. A couple of ranges that I know of are 150 a year to 600 a year with a 600 "initiation fee" with 40 hours of required work at the range every year. It is a nice range but not worth it IMO. You can bring a friend but they cant shoot the 600 yds, which you have to qualify to shoot. I will take free:thumb:.

You guys are so lucky..............

Here in northern California I have to drive 40 minutes to a range that charges $20 per daily visit, with no way to work the cost down. And only open to the public 3 days per week and 3 days to law enforcement.

It does have 50-300 yard ranges with about 1/3 of the benches covered for weather and an uncovered pistol range as well. All a bit primitive however.

Although all this is moot since COVID has closed it all down anyway!!!

I live in Illinois not the best place for gun ownership. My buddy has a range that I helped setup on an old railroad bed that he bought. We have steel targets out to 500 yds and covered benches. Price is a little labor now and then. It is 4 miles from my home. A couple of ranges that I know of are 150 a year to 600 a year with a 600 "initiation fee" with 40 hours of required work at the range every year. It is a nice range but not worth it IMO. You can bring a friend but they cant shoot the 600 yds, which you have to qualify to shoot. I will take free:thumb:.

Man I am so sorry to hear that. that is absolutely insane. 150 to $600 per year wow with an initiation fee on top of that ridiculous.

You guys are so lucky..............

Here in northern California I have to drive 40 minutes to a range that charges $20 per daily visit, with no way to work the cost down. And only open to the public 3 days per week and 3 days to law enforcement.

It does have 50-300 yard ranges with about 1/3 of the benches covered for weather and an uncovered pistol range as well. All a bit primitive however.

Although all this is moot since COVID has closed it all down anyway!!!
Ah yeah good old cali. I moved before they started that ridiculousness about having to do a background check to buy ammo. From what I remember we had several ranges close or in town when I lived on the coast in Salinas it was a short drive to watsonville I think for a long range outdoor experience. No in Fresno we had ranges in town however both ranges were a little bit pricey. I can't remember is this was years ago but I think it was 20 an hour you know plus ammo that sometimes they make you buy from them. Target's gun rentals etc it all added up.

Then I came to the land of Michigan. Now I can own a 32 round magazine fully automatic weapons silenced and suppressed weapons Kevlar body armor pretty much basically all the fun stuff that California banned.

Back in the 80's I had a Hunter's Safety Course that I actually ran in the school Metal Shop where I taught during the day. My principal was fine with my bringing all sorts of rifles and pistols in for demos on safety.

For range shooting I took the group to a dairy ranch I had a contact with back then and had them fire 22s.
Imagine guns in my actual shop classroom and the parents were fine with that back then.

For the auction the seniors had to raise money for their graduation party, I put up a chance to shoot some of my black powder guns. The kid who won my shoot went on to be a local deputy sheriff. And he was actually the principal's son.

Try all that today!!!!

John

Back