Range fees in your parts.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Closet public range to me is free as long as I have a fishing or hunting license. Its closed from mid Sept to the end of Feb. Rarely use it. No pistols allowed and not well kept. I drive 130 miles one way to use my own property in southern VA. Here is an example of fees at a range outside of Richmond. Ridiculous I think. Initiation fee is 50 bucks.

Screenshot_20201214-203939_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20201214-203952_Chrome.jpg

Closet public range to me is free as long as I have a fishing or hunting license. Its closed from mid Sept to the end of Feb. Rarely use it. No pistols allowed and not well kept. I drive 130 miles one way to use my own property in southern VA. Here is an example of fees at a range outside of Richmond. Ridiculous I think. Initiation fee is 50 bucks.

View attachment 11662View attachment 11663

Those are some seriously high prices I don't blame you for traveling that far to shoot man. What are these people thinking? I wonder how much business they get at those prices. Looking at the 3995 per month membership that's twice what I'm paying I'm paying seems to be on the high average.

I've always just flung arrows across the back yard, but since I bought a 22 pistol, a 50cal and a 7mm-08 this year I guess I'll have to find a range & use it.

In Mizzery our Department of Conversation has free public shooting ranges. They are concrete benches with target stands at 25, 50 and 100 yards. No range officers are around on weekdays when I used to frequent them. The window lickers and crayon eaters that also use these ranges ran me off. I was about to squeeze the trigger on a 30-06 when another patron four lanes down walks down to attach a new target.
I found Owl Creek Gun club a similar distance from home in the opposite direction. The rifle range goes out to 300 yards, they host cowboy shoots, and have hunting and fishing available to members. The $200 annual fee is a little pricey for the area but no club has a 300 yard range and covered shooting tables.

I am a member of Owl Creek Club. It seems like the shooting there has always been in cycles. It was organized as a pistol club and we shot the NRA 300 pistol matchs there each week for years. Then the muzzleloaders came along and the pistol shooting faded away. Then in the past few years the muzzleloading also faded away and the Cowboy shooters and an archery group came along. The archery has disbanded for now.
There are .22 matches twice a month in the evenings.
They just voted to hold the dues at $200 for the next year but that's not bad for the facilities offered.

Big John

I pay $75 yearly for membership and range fees at the sportsman's club. Its not a large club but has indoor 22lr, sporting clays, 100yd range and of course the 600yd range. The club is open to the public and the cost is $8 per day. During the week people would have to walk in carrying to the ranges as the gates are locked. Weekends the gates are open.
Range needs work, but volunteers are impossible to find. I spend a day cleaning up the 600yd range and the wife has even helped.
Very hard in Michigan to find a club with more than a 300yd range, especially open to the public.

My club is $300 per year +5 work hours. First year with background check and initiation fee will run about $1400 (my last understanding of it) just to get in +10 work hours and you must be sponsored by a current member. Its a limited membership. We have 50. 100, 150 and 200 yards, plus a 50 yard Pistol range, shotgun range and Archery range at the outdoor facility. The main Clubhouse has an indoor pistol range. There are one or 2 other clubs here and some cost even more. Only a couple public access ranges here but I don't know what the charge anymore, but is is not cheap. Target shooting opportunities here on Long Island are pretty limited. You can't even shoot a bow in your backyard, it is considered "Discharging a Weapon".

My club is in Michigans thumb. 25/50 yard pistol range, 25/50/100/200 covered rifle, trap, skeet. If you go during the week you will have it to yourself most days. 40.00 per year. The only problem it's a mile from the farm but 96 mi from where I live. Two hour drive.

I have access to private place that I set up my own range. One is 5 minutes away and is a right a way along a public drainage creek. Lucky no one as ask me to leave because it is public property.

The I have another which is my hunting lease at 57 miles away and it's better because it is protected from winds most of the times.

It can be seen on this video I made last summer.

My club in Central NY is $45 per year. Have 200 yard rifle range, 50 yard pistol range, 10 yard in door pistol range, skeet and trap ranges and a bow range. Great deal and only about 12 miles from my home.

I feel bad. Here in Michigan the DNR has some state run shooting ranges. The closest to me is about a 25 min drive and off on a dirt road that looks like the German country side. Absolutely gorgeous; I love Michigan.

Anyway, I have had an awesome time going there and talking with the range officers. Some of the coolest people I have met and they are 100 percent on range safety. Best part it was only 4 bucks for all day shooting any lane!

Well winter is coming and I no longer have the ol quattro por quattro aka 4x4. So I joined williams range. 200 bucks fer the year. Breaking this down I would have to go to the range 50 times in a year to make it come to about 4 bucks per visit. HOWEVER huge plus is the indoor 25 yard range. Plus steel targets plus shotgun spread test too!

Which makes me wonder... How much are range memberships in your area and what do you do? Annual? Member? Or single visit?

For all of those who's range is just outside thier back door on thier property I envy you so much.
My private club I"m a member (62 members) my house is on, total walking/4wheeling distance on club property ,as a share holder everything is included included 200 short and (700) long range with 1700 acres with 2 small lakes . The only draw back is I live in NYS/Ed

Last edited:
My club is $300 per year +5 work hours. First year with background check and initiation fee will run about $1400 (my last understanding of it) just to get in +10 work hours and you must be sponsored by a current member. Its a limited membership. We have 50. 100, 150 and 200 yards, plus a 50 yard Pistol range, shotgun range and Archery range at the outdoor facility. The main Clubhouse has an indoor pistol range. There are one or 2 other clubs here and some cost even more. Only a couple public access ranges here but I don't know what the charge anymore, but is is not cheap. Target shooting opportunities here on Long Island are pretty limited. You can't even shoot a bow in your backyard, it is considered "Discharging a Weapon".

I'd frickin move. That's ridiculous.

I'd frickin move. That's ridiculous.

It is harsh but keep in mind that Long Island is so heavily populated that Any distance for shooting is limited. Some places here you could not imagine how close the next house is to you. I used to shoot on one of 2 public ranges. Never again. Too much Riffraff know-it-all's that should not be allowed to handle a firearm let alone own one. Too many instances of listening to or watching crap some guys will do, and I would end up getting the range officer to let me move to a different point to get away from them. My last range session at a Public Range (One of the most monitored by range officers) a guy had an SKS that went full auto on him right next to me. I had just happened to turn when he started to shoot semi auto too fast to tell him to knock it off when it went full auto. It Scared him so bad he started turning toward me! I grabbed the barrel and kept the damn thing pointed down range till it was empty. This all happened so fast it was crazy. The range officer was several benches away and came running as soon as he heard it. By the time he got there it was over and I had jerked the rifle out of his hands, and was scolding him for not keeping it pointed down range and that he could have killed someone! Firing pin was jammed in the bolt sticking out. The idiot never bothered cleaning the piece of crap because " Well It shoots Smokeless Powder"! The Range officer threw him off the range, and told him not to come back till he had a receipt from a Gunsmith saying that the rifle was now operating properly. That was it for public ranges here for me. I had an incident at a previous range that I will not get into, but caused me to go to the more heavily monitored range. But you still got some idiots there.

It never cost me the big bucks to get in when I joined the club, was much more reasonable then. I've been a member for a long time. It is a private range and you have your own Key to open the gate to enter the property, outdoor range and key fob to get into the indoor clubhouse range. There are most definitely advantages to being in the club over shooting on public ranges. Lie the RifFaff is weeded out real quick. The Main cost in getting in is the Background check that they have an independent provider for. Last I heard the Public ranges started charging by the hour too. Here I can shoot all day when I want to if there are no matches running. Still it's nothing like shooting back home on the farm in Ohio where it costs me nothing.

Yea should have moved sooner. Now getting too close to Retirement to start over. :rolleyes: Plan to move back to Ohio when I get to Retire.

New member here and first post. I'm in Massachusetts and almost every town has a sportsman's club; I know of only one public range which is expensive. I'm a member of four clubs as follows:

Club 1 - 8 minutes drive
  • 50 foot indoor range
  • Trap
  • 5-Stand
  • Clubhouse (has beer & wine license)
  • $300/year
Club 2 - 8 minutes drive
  • 75 foot outdoor pistol range
  • 50 yard rifle range
  • 100 yard rifle range
  • Trap
  • Clubhouse
  • $150/year
Club 3 - 30 minutes drive
  • Several rifle ranges from 300 yards to 900 yards
  • Several outdoor pistol ranges
  • $25/year
Club 4 - 60 minutes drive
  • Outdoor 50 foot pistol range
  • 100 yard rifle range
  • Trap
  • Clubhouse
  • Sits in 950 acres
  • $100/year
So despite some of the most restrictive firearms laws, the shooting sports are pretty healthy here in the Commonwealth. Also, the clubs all have fantastic members and the social aspects can't be overstated.

State run ranges run from free (unmanned) to about $3 per hour. When the range is busy with a waiting list you only get 1 hour and have to get back in line. The only private range i like is super expensive to join ($500) and after that dues are $250 a year. The indoor nearest me is like $17/hr and up.

Latest posts

Back