Range finder....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just looked at that Sig Kilo 2400 Rangefinder Yesterday, My Sport Shop friend was in the middle of selling one and i was playing around with it. They are nice for sure :lewis: Rangefinder Technology these Days is Mind Boggling to me. Sig has a Rangefinder & Scope that Link together, I was looking through the Scope and my Friend was Ranging with the Rangefinder, it was telling me what i needed to do to Hit the Target, I’m not even sure that Setup would be Legal?

I stil have my Leica 1600, It has been an Awesome Rangefinder for me, When I bought it 12 years or so ago I wanted a Rangefinder that would read 1,000 Yards without Hesitation, This Leica 1600 Does that no problem :lewis: They make a 3,800.com Now I believe it’s Called? There are a Few new Models after mine, I have been tempted, But just can’t justify upgrading mine

Upgrading is always a chore for me. Some things I'll do without hesitation, others I'll ponder on for ever it seems.

That is a very interesting range finder. I like the fact that you can use your own actual data. Getting it into the range finder might be another story LOL

I'm still using my Leupold RX-1200i TBR/W with DNA range finder and then must refer to a chart. Would be nice to range and have all the data.

I have the 1200 Leica, the 1600 came out a couple years after I got mine. I only tried it to 1100 yards and you had to be steady to get that. They are sure nice though.

I got the Leica 2400 a year or so ago and passed on the ballistic model for the basic version. I don't need all that range extent for me but clarity low light capability, and function are superb.

Upgrading is always a chore for me. Some things I'll do without hesitation, others I'll ponder on for ever it seems.

That is a very interesting range finder. I like the fact that you can use your own actual data. Getting it into the range finder might be another story LOL

I'm still using my Leupold RX-1200i TBR/W with DNA range finder and then must refer to a chart. Would be nice to range and have all the data.

This is that Sig BDX Scope/Rangefinder setup i was talking about above, I was looking through the Scope, my friend was using the Range finder. We would pick out an object, he would range it, I could see the Dot in the Scope Change to where i needed to hold, CRAZY!

I run Leica Geovid HD-R 10x42 binos. Has range and angle compensation. My favourite bit of kit.

Broken at the moment though so need to send them back to Germany for repairs.

I have the SIG kilo 3000, but not the scope. Heard bad things about the scopes. Though I have no experience with them.
Glass isn't as good on the SIG as my Ziess binos, but for the price and the convenience, the SIG will do.
I've ranged to 2870 yards with them, I'd never shoot that far though.

The farthest i have ranged with my Leica 1600 Rangemaster is 1,957 Yards, I was in scan mode going across a Far Mountain side, It liked something in 1 particular spot and would read it Everytime. In optimum conditions mine will Read out to 1500 Yards, 1300-1400 is more the Norm. They made a 1600B as well Back when i Bought mine, But I went with the Straight 1600 Model, I paid about 600-700 for this Rangefinder 12 Years ago. I just now looked at the newest/current version, it is called a CRF 3500.COM Rangemaster and is 1,200 Bucks

I currently have three range finders.
I have a very cheap Nikon that I use for hunting varmints. Its not great but it does okay.
I have a Leupold RX-850i TBR. I hate that range finder. I mean I hate it will all my heart. I wear glasses, and when I range a object I can't see the yardage. The read out is so high in the view finder that I have to move the range finder around to see the display. I am going to make it my Varmint range finder because it sucks so hard. Also the case for the Leupold is worse than the range finder. This unit is almost not worth owning.
My third one is a Leica 2700-B.
After my Leupold almost cost me an elk I decided I was going to get something good. The 2700-B has been an excellent range finder. The yardage is close to the center of the display. Easy to read since it is s lighted up display. The other two can't be read after the light gets a little on the low side.
This year I made a 248 yard shot on my bull elk with my Muzzleloader. I can safely say that I could not have made it without the reassurance from my Leica we were good to go.
One last thing. Man I hate my Leupold range finder.

I've been running a Sig Kilo3000 BDX range finding binocular with a Kestrel 5700 Elite. It's a great combo as you can enter ballistic profiles into the systems, then the kestrel and the Sig talk to each other via the Bloo Toof. The Kestrel can send a shot solution to my phone (via the app) or directly to the Binoculars. Set up is very time consuming - kinda like the time taken to set up a lathe - but once it's set, shot solutions come quickly. I use those scopes graduated in MOA (Because I can't think in Mils like the Military guys can) with those goofy X-mas tree reticles. Once you have a shot solution, there's no need to dial it in, you just find the appropriate dot. The Kilo3000 has a ridiculous ranging ability - like 5000 yards on reflective and less than that on non-reflective, but definitely further than I'll take a shot. I have ranged steel targets painted with flat white paint out to nearly a mile.

I've found some success in using my LabRadar in verifying ballistic coefficients for various projectiles, but the data is somewhat limited because of the range it'll pick up different bullets. It's a neat set up, great for ringing steel at ridiculous ranges, but for hunting, it's a bit too much to lug. The range finder does work very well at shorter distances without the kestrel, where atmospheric data isn't as important. It's good because I don't have to lug a pair of binoculars and a range finder.

Geeze this whole post reads really douchy!! I bored myself. Sorry to subject you guys to my pedantic nature.

This is great, but have any of you checked out your range finders to see if they are correct or not? I was allowed to use a certified measuring tape for track and field events. My Bushnell Yardage Pro was right on the mark.

This is great, but have any of you checked out your range finders to see if they are correct or not? I was allowed to use a certified measuring tape for track and field events. My Bushnell Yardage Pro was right on the mark.

My Leica us accurate to 1/2 yard.

I don't think absolute accuracy is so important as consistency - as long as one uses the same tool hunting, as at the range. But, yes, I use a Nikon 1000, which is both. I have not checked calibration with a certified measuring tape, but I have ranged targets at shooting ranges, and it consistently confirms the distance the target is supposed to be at.

The Nikon is great under most conditions, and I wouldn't want to hunt ml without it. But in low light, it overcompensates at bit in that the numbers light up so bright, I can no longer see the deer, after I push the button.

Hey guys. I am looking for rangefinder and rangefinder binos and am pretty confused. Since I am new to hunting and can range up to 500 yards with rifle. Can someone guide me in right direction. Thanks much

Hey guys. I am looking for rangefinder and rangefinder binos and am pretty confused. Since I am new to hunting and can range up to 500 yards with rifle. Can someone guide me in right direction. Thanks much

How much do you want to spend? Do you want just a handheld convenient unit or built into a set of binos?
Do you shoot uphill/downhill?
Only need to 500 yards? 1000 yards? A mile?

Aiming within 500$, looking for handheld one as carrying a stand would be headache. or not? Looking for 500 yards range for shooting and for spotting at least 1000 yards

Aiming within 500$, looking for handheld one as carrying a stand would be headache. or not? Looking for 500 yards range for shooting and for spotting at least 1000 yards
I’m kind of confused on what you’re looking for. Pretty much all rangefinders are handheld, you can buy binoculars that also do rangefinding but they are around $1000 and up. They also sell rangefinding scope (such as Burris eliminator) they’re also a little more pricey but have come down significantly since they first came out. Also any rangefinder that is in the $500 price point should have no problem with ranging to 500yards and most will do 1000 or more. But some of those number can be misleading. You need to look at the description, most will say the furthest accurate range but they are talking about using a reflective “target” (basically a reflective surface acting as a target similar in concept to what land surveyors would use)

Back