Range finder....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Bushnell trophy 850 ARC and it is good for what it is, throw it in my pocket and go- small lightweight, I got it on a closeout that I couldn't pass up. Newer models are available in the $150-250 range.
I also have a Nikon 400, little bitty thing, I use for bowhunting- glass is better than Bushnell, again bowhunting and I don't need major yardage.
I have the SIG BDX 3000 binos that I use a lot now when hunting. Glass is not as good as my Zeiss binos, but not having to carry the extra rangefinder is a plus.
If you can spend a few dollars more the Leica rangefinders would be an excellent rangefinder, glass is superior to most as a friend has one that I got a chance to use.
If you want to overspend and have a calculating rangefinder check out the Gunwerks g7.

Thanks Looks like I have to hit the books before buying a suitable unit
[/QU
Thanks Looks like I have to hit the books before buying a suitable unit
Caniborrowsomeammo is on point with the Sig Sauer BDX System for optics. The BDX system connects your range Finder to your scope via Bluetooth and lights up a dot on your reticle to which you use to shoot your target. Whether it's 50yds or 1000yds. Definately a technology that's cutting edge
It also takes in account the weather and winds peed from an app on your phone. I have it on my 270win and am getting a scope for my Muzzleloader also. 1 range finder can control or be connected to 4 separate scopes.

I use a Nikon RF that only goes to a true 500yds, I don't need more than that, and that's the key - what distances do you require ranging to? If I was prairie varminting with a hot 6mm I'd want an RF that went to a true 1000yds.

I have a Leupold that I got a deal on at a gun show. I know why he was selling it. I don't like it either. I bought a Sig Kilo 2000, that I like, but to get 2000, you need to be ranging a highway sign. It works great in the mountains because I can range the ground next to the animal. I tried it on an antelope hunt on perfectly flat farmland, and could not get a read. I need a rangefinder, I can' judge range worth a s&$t. I missed my first shot by shooting over. I got it on the second shot. After the shot I judged it to be about 250 yards, but didn't pace it.

i seldom carry my Leupold rangefinder because most hunting is from blinds or tree stands in wooded areas. Last time i used my range finder was in about 2016. Was was sitting in a tower stand overlooking a section of wheat when a large doe came out. Conditions were right, and i lased her at 416 yards. Took the shot with my Remington 700 .30-06. Bang flop.

Just bought a SIG kilo 1000 bdx and for the money it’s a lot of rangefinder. I have had a leupold and bushnell that I hated. Used it elk hunting and was ranging out to 800 which is way further than I need.

Also took it goose hunting last week, and to my surprise it wasn’t hard to get readings on geese flying over.

Aiming within 500$, looking for handheld one as carrying a stand would be headache. or not? Looking for 500 yards range for shooting and for spotting at least 1000 yards
I’ve still got my old Bushnell yardage Pro from the 90’s that’s almost as big as a football, and it still works great. I picked an older Swarovski range finder on 24 hr Campfire a couple years ago to have something smaller, and I really like it. It was around $450.

Rangefinders come up for sale fairly regularly on 24, and you might as well try eBay too.

I use a Sig Kilo 1800 and it works well although I’m a bit irritated they don’t include the 1/4” threaded insert to mount it on a tripod or some such thing…

We have had several SIG's, 1000, 1600 and 2000. For the avg hunter that needs to range deer out to 500-600 its great. Maybe even 800. But beyond that they struggle with smaller objects. I couldn't say on an elk, they are much bigger than deer, it will probably work well for you. Our 3 different models and all did the same. They work well on larger items way out there, but for long range on deer we had to step up to a Leica 3500. It will pick up a small deer easily out to beyond a mile. Of course it was much more than the SIG.

Back