Range report. Euroarms 1863 Remington

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The load was a Lyman 5752130S lubed with SPG, over 60 grains 2f Swiss.
Recoil was quite light as was flash and blast. Fouling was a non issue. I fired all 10 without swabbing as I forgot my rubbing alcohol...
First 3, 1 11/16 with 2 rounds touching.
Next 3, 3 1/16 with one shot wide right.
Last 3, 3 3/16 one shot a bit low.
Overlap of groups was good, but point of impact was right 7 3/8 and. 4 3/8 high at 50. Some of the wide shots were from the rear sight being a little loose. Found that after I got home. Another contributing cause may be that it was windy and 25 degrees! Also, the sights are HORRIBLE!
The Lyman's are a wee bit small I think. Rammer weight took them right to the powder. Minies may be a pain to cast, but they are a HOOT to shoot!
All things considered, I'm optimistic that this rifle will prove to be an excellent shooter. Once I get the sights worked out.
Ought to be a great bear/ hog rifle!

Yesterday, she really showed off!
First 3 were 1 11/16 just like the other day.
Didn't swab and the next 3 were 2 13/16.
Swabbed and darn near fell over. The next 3 were 3/4 inch!
Same load too. Lyman 5752130S, SPG lube and 60 grains 2f Swiss.
I'm calling her " Galena"
She's definately a ( BIG) lead rifle. Name fits!

Gallina in Spanish is a old hen. Often translated as just chicken but a old hen is a more accurate translation.

As spelled, galena is the raw form of lead.
Saw it in a quote from days of yore. Old timers went trading for " galena and Du Pont"
Been married to my" old hen "for 35 years. She'd commence to head scratchin' if I started calling her gallina. Once she figured it out though, who knows what she'd call me!

You'll get much better accuracy if the minies are .001 under bore size, use 3f real black, good caps (NOT CCI reenactor garbage), cut the charge to about 45g, use beeswax/lard lube.20180420_122543.jpg

I bumped my charge to 70 grains of 2f Swiss. 10 grains isn't a lot, but my shoulder sure noticed it.
Target did too. Groups tightened up a bit and got more consistent. Right around 2 inches for 3 at 50. No leading and the charge burned cleaner too.
This rifle is shaping up to be quite a find. Once I have the proper diameter minies, she'll go hunting too.

Latest posts

Back