Range report on new accurate mold

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Earlier I posted a picture and specs on a new mold that I had made form Accurate. That's over in the casting forum. Well I finally had a decent day to shoot some bullets from said mold. I shot 3 of the paper patch 350grn at 50 yards. The load was 65 grns, weighed, of Goex3F, 1 veggie wad. The bullet drops pretty darn close to .443 with soft lead and with 2 wraps of 9# onion paper they are .450 ish. They load in my Green Mtn LRH 45 1-30 with just very light pressure on the ram rod. I also shot 2 with a 75 grn charge but they didn't seem to like that loading. I will admit that I'm trying to get used to my set trigger and sent a few down range before I was 100% ready. My best 3 shot group was 1-1/2 ". Next up was the GG bullet. Also at 350grns. I shot these two different methods. I used 50 cal wool wads and also used a veggie wad followed by 2 45 cal discs of onion paper to help bullet separation from the wad. I shot these at 100 yds. Powder charge was 75grns by weight of 3F goex. My best 3 shots were with the wad and paper disc combo. 3 shot all touching 3/4". The GG bullets measure in the neighborhood of .454 with soft lead. This is just the second time this barrel has been shot. I'm still getting used to the rifle itself so I'm confident that I will find the correct recipe for consistent accuracy. Pictures to follow or it didnt happen. :D

Posting Target Pics for Harleysboss, and description he sent with them. Anyone interested in seeing these bullets, and mold, they are posted in the Casting sub forum

50 yards with new PP bullet, 65 Grains by weight of Goex 3F, The low shot is the Cold Clean shot
SQGu0o3.jpg

This is 100 Yards with the 350 Grain Grease Groove bullet, 75 Grains Goex 3F by weight
8mAFeEu.jpg

I’ll be the first to comment! Good Shootin my friend!! :yeah: I’m thinking you need to bump the powder charge up on that PP bullet to match that GG, The most accurate loads in my .45 LRH barrel is 70 Weight Grains of Swiss 3F, or 80 Grains of Swiss 2F, Basically identical to your 75 weight Grain load, They claim this Swiss is 10% hotter? If so my loads would be REALLY close to your 75 Grains

Latest posts

Back