Range Report T/C Omega Z5

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonE

Reaction score
Just for starters I had scoped my T/C Omega with a Bushnell 3x9x40mm scope that I had in the garage... couldn't remember why until day before yesterday headed to the gravel pit... dang couldn't zero the scope, all shots low and left about 8" using Hornady green sabot for a .44 cal bullet, so I was using the 240-gr XTP with both 90-gr and 100-gr charges of Alliant Black Mz sub powder at 25 yards.

Removed the scope at home, and returned today, using just the fiber optic sights, what a difference. But I have another scope on the way, and won't be here until July 20th.

Before I headed up I decided to pick up a package of the Powerbelt Platinum 270-gr skirted bullets, which I've read good things about their use in the T/C Omega Z5.
My load I used today was the Alliant Black Mz 100gr by volume charge pre-measured weight of 90.6 with a W209 primer. All shots were rested, and shot from a sitting position @ 25 yards. Next trip I'll increase the yardage.

First group with the Powerbelt Platinum 270-gr
Power-Belt-Platnum.jpg

Second group with the green Hornady sabot 240-gr XTP bullet.
44-cal-bullet-XTP-Hornady-Sabot.jpg

Third group was with the old Buffalo Ball et that Hornady makes under the BP 50cal 240gr PA ConiCal
Buffalo-Ball-et.jpg

I had no FTF's, and recoil was mild.

Why are you shooting black in a gun that's fully capable of using BH209? I'd bet the XTPs and green sabots would do much better if they had some higher pressure behind them.

Why are you shooting black in a gun that's fully capable of using BH209? I'd bet the XTPs and green sabots would do much better if they had some higher pressure behind them.

Frankly I can't afford BH209 @ $39.99 for 10 oz bottle at one location on clearance and at other locations it's $49.99, if you want to use it, knock your socks off. Alliant Black Mz is great powder and when I have as much on hand as I do, I will deplete that before I have to purchase anything more... still got 9 lbs left to burn :D

Since the image host is down I'll attach the photos here.

Attachments

• Powerbelt Platnum.jpg
    Powerbelt Platnum.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 44 cal bullet XTP Hornady Sabot.jpg
    44 cal bullet XTP Hornady Sabot.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Buffalo Ball et.jpg
    Buffalo Ball et.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 7

What’s Wrong with Black in a BH209 Compatible Rifle?

I had a Z5. Very good rifle and a better firing pin set up than the full price Omega's. Much easier to clean.
Mine loved the 240 and 300 grain 44 cal XTP's with 70 and 90 grains of 3f Triple 7 respectively. In fact, the first inch group at 200 yards I ever shot was with the 300/90 grain load.
I had a Leupold VX1 2x7 on mine in their QR mounts.
Obviously the QLA on yours isn't boogered with those conical groups! Lucky you!
Experiment with powders. Find what she likes and feed her that. Don't be surprised if she likes Holy Black! For me, BH209 brings too much drama... Pyrodex is harsh and Triple 7 crud rings, while easy to deal with, are annoying.
Enjoy your Z5!

Its a powder that is no longer made. Not real black.

So what if it's not real black powder, neither is BH209, so what's your point.... I still have 9 pounds of Black MZ on hand.

I think you might need to settle down a tad. I was answering the question from Lewis and Ron. I used your quote only as a reference to show them you are not talking about BLACK POWDER and neither was MrTom.

I had a Z5. Very good rifle and a better firing pin set up than the full price Omega's. Much easier to clean.
Mine loved the 240 and 300 grain 44 cal XTP's with 70 and 90 grains of 3f Triple 7 respectively. In fact, the first inch group at 200 yards I ever shot was with the 300/90 grain load.
I had a Leupold VX1 2x7 on mine in their QR mounts.
Obviously the QLA on yours isn't boogered with those conical groups! Lucky you!
Experiment with powders. Find what she likes and feed her that. Don't be surprised if she likes Holy Black! For me, BH209 brings too much drama... Pyrodex is harsh and Triple 7 crud rings, while easy to deal with, are annoying.
Enjoy your Z5!

I have various powders to try.... and lots of real black powder (both Goex and Elephant) as well 20 lbs of it, as I also shoot traditional muzzleloader with a local club. When Alliant Black MZ got pulled off the market, Sportsman's Warehouse carried it @ $9.99 a pound. I hunted for it and acquired 12 pounds and love the way it shoots, and easy to clean as well. I have some Pyrodex RS and Select on hand that was given to me.... I know about the fouling of Pyrodex, as I used it many years ago, enough said. I haven't tried 777 simply because, I just don't need to buy up every powder available to try... one of the reasons why I haven't bought BH209, it's simply too expensive and I don't need to join the fan base.

I still have lots of sabots to try, like the Harvester Crush Rib in various bullet calibers and weights.

I think you might need to settle down a tad. I was answering the question from Lewis and Ron. I used your quote only as a reference to show them you are not talking about BLACK POWDER and neither was MrTom.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Latest posts

Back