Range Report

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took my Optima pistol/carbine to the range this morning. Very happy with the new rig. I fired about 10 shots through it. Tried a few different bullets but the PA conicals still seem to be best, although they are not easy to start down the barrel.
My adapter, stock and buffer tube all held up to the recoil. Nothing loosened up, which I was happy about. I have the CVA Durasights on the gun now but I think I will replace the rear sight with the ghost ring sight.20210417_104459.jpg

You didn't mention back in August of 2020 that the PA Conicals were hard to start. Is this something new? Or, have they been hard to start from the beginning? Do you need to use a short starter? Is the first one easy to seat, and the subsequent ones difficult due to fouling? Would a .54 caliber lubricated wool wad seated first help?

You didn't mention back in August of 2020 that the PA Conicals were hard to start. Is this something new? Or, have they been hard to start from the beginning? Do you need to use a short starter? Is the first one easy to seat, and the subsequent ones difficult due to fouling? Would a .54 caliber lubricated wool wad seated first help?
I most likely forgot to mention it but yes they are a bit of a pain to start. I do use my short starter, definitely helps. Because I use black powder, I have to swab after about the 3rd shot.

I never tried a lubed wool wad. Can't hurt I guess.
It might push the fouling from the previous shot down on top of the new powder charge, similar to the way a patch around a ball does. Thus, cleaning the bore for the next PA Conical to be seated. And, possibly eliminating the need to swab every 3 shots.

I've got two boxes of the PA Conicals to try when Doc White finishes his work on my pistol.

I just picked up 10 boxes/20 of the Hornady 385 grain, .50 caliber, Great Plains bullets from Optics Planet for a fairly good price. To also be shot out of the Javelina Optima V2 pistol. Primarily to be used for hunting.

The T-handle bullet starter that comes as part of the LR Customs, MZ REX2 muzzle brake will certainly come in handy for the PA Conicals if they are hard to start. I will probably put a SpinJag ramrod tip on my on-the-pistol ramrod to help ease the PA Conical onto the powder charge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those Hornady Great Plains bullets are hard to start too. At least in my experience. I've only used them in my rifle. The soft lead deforms easily if you try to ram them in too hard.

Those Hornady Great Plains bullets are hard to start too. At least in my experience. I've only used them in my rifle. The soft lead deforms easily if you try to ram them in too hard.

The T-handle bullet starter for the brakes is designed to keep a lead conical, or a bullet/sabot combo centered in the bore until it is far enough down the barrel to stay centered. Just the same, I intend to use a SpinJag ramrod tip to further help prevent deformation of the bullet's nose/tip, and to try and keep the lead conical, or bullet/sabot centered all the way to the powder charge.

The T-handle bullet starter for the brakes is designed to keep a lead conical, or a bullet/sabot combo centered in the bore until it is far enough down the barrel to stay centered. Just the same, I intend to use a SpinJag ramrod tip to further help prevent deformation of the bullet's nose/tip, and to try and keep the lead conical, or bullet/sabot centered all the way to the powder charge.
The right jag profiled for the projectile in question will (NOT) deform what your loading . A great selling point in my 450 lyman lube/sizer ,cause I got a bunch of top pushers cause I don't like shooting squished bullets no matter the hardness /Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that's amazing how far muzzleloading has gone hi-tech.
That's a nice system they have.
Beyond my pistol, my other rifles are plain old patched round ball shooters.

Latest posts

Back