Range Report

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Spent the morning at the range trying to sight in the pistol.
No batteries for the boresighter, so I just kinda winged it. At 25 yards, first 2 shots hit the cardboard high, right.
Started walking the scope down, got a good group then moved left. A bit to far left. Started moving back to the right then I ran out of the Hornady xtp's.
I had a box of Traditions smackdown bullets 200 grain, so I threw a few shots at the 50 yard target.
Those bullets were terrible in the pistol.
I found 4 Hornady PA conicals in my bullet bag and tried for the small inset target at 50.
My last shot hit exactly where I was hoping for after a couple of clicks on the scope.
Someone left a piece of cardboard on the 100 yard target board, so just for laughs, I loaded up a patched ball. I hit just about where I was aiming, which was at the bottom of the Walmart sunbeam kinda thing on their logo.
Now I'm not sure if I should get more of the xtp bullets or just stick with dry PA conicals. 20210703_154313.jpg20210703_154223.jpg20210703_123247.jpg

Sounds like you had a fun day :lewis:

I'm a firm believer in trying to get the most out of my guns. I know first hand that the XTPs are super bullets in that gun and I suggest strongly sticking with them. They are super in the deer woods/field. I bought several boxes of the .44 cal 240 grain XTPs and use them at the range but to hunt I switch bullets to the Barnes 225 grain XPB and change nothing else and hit right where the XTPs have. Actually Deep Curls and A Frames shoot identical too in 240 to 250 grain bullets so you have a serious field of good bullets to work with.

I must say that I do like those xtp's. Haven't tried anything in a 250 grain bullet yet.
The online site I usually order from didn't have any in stock today, otherwise I would have ordered a couple boxes.

Most all of the bullets I have run thru my pistol have been of the .44 cal ilk, only a couple in .45 cal, but honestly there's very little difference in point of impact vs point of aim in bullets of either caliber in the 250 to 225 grain range at 50 yards. I know you're not shooting BH209 and not nearly the charge that I do but I really cannot imagine there'd be a ton of differences. With the stock taking the recoil on your gun I'd suggest bumping up the charge a bit to try and tighten groups up a hair.

Latest posts

Back