Range Upgraded and Extended

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperKirby

Reaction score
I'm not sure where to put this but I guess here is as good as any. Up until Lewis started posting his shooting videos I thought 400+ was a pretty long shot with a muzzleloader. I concede to his abilities and humbly post the start of my long(ish) range venture.

I have the incredibly good fortune of being able to shoot in my backyard but haven't really taken full advantage of this. I guess a couple years ago now I decided I wanted to become proficient out to at least 300 yards with my muzzleloader. This meant I had to address my range setup. Last year I built a very heavy, very solid bench. That in and of itself improved my groups. I also picked up a chrono so I can start working on the ballistics. Last fall I started trying to figure out how to stretch the range out. After a couple false starts and changing ideas, I finally ordered some gongs and got it set up.

I had planned for a straight line right above the backstop, but 150 wasn't visible behind it, so it's offset to the left. I was hoping to get to 450, but would have had to cross a fence and possibly been down in a ditch. Decided 430 was good for now and I can always expand farther if I get to that point. I need to get some stall mats or something to place in front of each target to keep the grass from growing up and blocking them. We're fortunate it's dry this year so I could get back there easily enough to set it up. Some years it's too wet to practically make it out there with the weedeater if I need to knock stuff down. My hope going forward is that I can go out late fall and early spring when the ground is frozen and paint or any other maintenance needed. But it's a start.

shooting ranges.jpg

Lol....that does look like a SE Minnesota rifle range. Ma and I may have to do a day tour to come visit it.

Lol....that does look like a SE Minnesota rifle range. Ma and I may have to do a day tour to come visit it.

More central MN, about 20 miles from Monticello if you come up 94. Let me know. We can work out a day to shoot or just your the farm if you want.

It would be more meet and put a face with a name. I shoot enough here at home and seldom at more than 150 yards, but it would be nice to see your range. You're actually not too far from friends we have up there who are just off 94. Easy drive. Gotta get rid of this heat first though.

That turned out great!!!

Thanks guys. Here’s the bench. Built it to accommodate left and right handed shooters and so I could shoot two different directions. After doing so I decided I probably won’t ever shoot the other direction but the extra space on the bench is nice.

49336D57-89D2-4495-82BD-C89EC00037FD.jpeg

Nice work on the bench. Other than the not needing the second shooting station is there anything else you would change or do differently? Curious about the height as well. I'm thinking of making mine about 35-36" tall. I will be using an adjustable drum seat for the chair.

Nope,I'm happy with it. It's big and heavy. Rock at all. I built mine at standard table height -30" i think? I just shoot off a folding chair but it's about 2" too low. I need to find something take or adjustable i can leave outside. So yeah,I guess i would make it a couple inches shorter. I'm happy with it.

Nice bench,you will be happy that you bulit it to use either right or left side.

Latest posts

Back