Re-sizing 460 GG to 452??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themoose

Reaction score
Anyone know if I can successfully re-size .460 grease groove BP bullets to" .452 ish" if I step down in .002 increments without messing up the lube grooves... I was thinking of getting a new mold for a 45-70 that runs 460 and try to use the bullets also for a grease groove hunting bullet in my Knight 45's. Thinking that something like the NOE push thru sizers would work.

I know I use to size my Lyman Withworth bullets that measured I believe at .458 with my Lee .452 sizing die that were lubed before sizing with no problems.

Ed,

When you say that you lubed them before sizing them... do you mean that you completely lubed the grease grooves before sizing them down or must lubing the bearing surfaces of the larger bullet before reducing the size?

Lee offers a lube sizer in .457 and .454 if you want to take them down in 2 steps. IIRC they are fairly cheap at MidwayUSA or Grafs. Pretty sure they are close to $20 a piece.

Yep, on sale for $17.99 each
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10185 ... ng-die-kit

Close to $21 each at Grafs but $7.95 flat rate shipping might end up being cheaper.

Depending on lead hardness, This can be done in 1 sweep no problem, LUBE is your friend here. I prefer to Roll mine over a Well lubed RCBS lube Pad with RCBS Case Lube-2, To much lube is Better than not enough. When you start the Press stroke DON’T STOP, Push straight through, With My press setup the way it is i have a tendency to Stop halfway through the Press Stroke to change Arm angle, That will GET YA Everytime, or nearly. 2 Steps would be a BREEZE, Go Through a .454 Push Through first, then the .452, I Have all of these sizers but i don’t use them, i size in 1 Sweep, They go through like Butter when done properly

As for Lube Grooves not Carrying enough Lube after being sized? That would obviously depend on the Depth of the Lube Grooves? If you go with a depth of say .040, Which is pretty Standard, Removing 8-10 Thou is NOT gonna hurt a thing. We are Sizing the Lyman Gould, And I’ve sized MANY other Bullets from 458-459 down to .451 with Stellar Results. Open your Calipers to 0.008 and look through, It is a VERY small amount you are Sizing

Filling the lube grooves will keep them from collapsing during the sizing down process. I have done this (.458-.460 down to .451-.450) but I prefer 3 smaller die increments during reduction. In my experience the bullet stays true with no uneven sides and no smears when going .002-.003 at a time. It's also easier on the press linkage which is a weak point on lube-sizers.

I think Mike found his answer, If the HP Gould Mold is what you are thinking about there is LOTS of info on that bullet here on this Forum, About every member here with a .45 Has shot it with good luck. The Gould is NOT .460, it is .458, .458 down to .452 is simple

The Gould bullet is wonderful in a wide variety of twists too. Keep the speed very reasonable and its a nice performing design. My SUPER DISC shoots it so well and recoil is so mild i have a hard time using anything else.

GM54-120 said:
The Gould bullet is wonderful in a wide variety of twists too. Keep the speed very reasonable and its a nice performing design. My SUPER DISC shoots it so well and recoil is so mild i have a hard time using anything else.

GM54, you are the one that first interested me in The Lyman Gould, Shortly after I became friends with Forum member edmehlig and we traded bullets back n forth. The Gould is an AWESOME little bullet! Fun to shoot, and wicked Accurate! It is definitely One of my favorite Factory bullet molds, And thanks to Rick i can make this bullet Solid as well :yeah: Anyone that thinks this Bullet does not carry enough Lube after Sizing to .451-.452 is Delusional

If i had a 1-30 twist Knight Elite i probably would not shoot much else out of it. The load is just so simple and affordable. Makes a jug of BH209 go a long way and its plenty of knock down for whitetail within 100 yards.

Ron's 50gr BH209 jug test. Around 1155fps he said on the chrono. Almost 100% weight retained. Thats over 1000fpe.
IMG_2619.JPG

GM54,

What caliber is your rifle and what is the diameter on the Gould? sized or shot as cast?

Sized of course. Super DISC only comes in 1 caliber. My lands run a tight .450 on both my 45s. One the GM barrel Knight and one a custom Pacnor build. That pretty much requires .451-.452 unless i switch powders and go slip fit. 70grV of BH209 and this bullet is moving around 1350fps. At 100 yards thats still 1000fpe or more roughly.
vh8gr5N.jpg

Got to the range this morning. Ended up lubing and sizing to .451 and then knurled them between to mill files. Thumb started and easy to seat with some resistance. Shot over Chrono with Swiss 3F..Started with 90gr and lowered to 80. Velocity avg 1456FPS(I IRC). 4 shots in 3/4" with 5 moving it up to 1 1/8. I like it! Thanks to all for your help
TheMoose

Ed, I went with Lyman 457122 (Gould bullet). Thanks for helping me make to that decision.

Try the Lee 452 sizing die it may be just what you need so you will not need the files. Some of the ones I sent you weressized with the 452 sizing die.

They were too big, my Lee .451 too small. The knurled created by the files increases the diameter, but will allow it to ok be engraved by the rifle better. It should be able to stay in place better in the field. Not sure yet, but I may either try a grease cookie or lube some of my home cut heavy felt wads

themoose said:
They were too big, my Lee .451 too small. The knurled created by the files increases the diameter, but will allow it to ok be engraved by the rifle better.

That is COOL on the Mill files to ad Lift to the bullet! How long have you been doing this trick?

Back