Re17

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been using re 7 with 325 grain bullets. Works well, accurate. Started with 43 grains of re 7 and still working up by .5 at a time. re 17 is a little slower burning than re 7. should work fine. be careful approaching 50 plus grains. keep a close eye on any signs of over pressure. I know others talk about 60 or even 70 grains of 4198. be careful and patient.

How heavy profile barrel? I found a trace done with IMR 4350 of 140gr and a 275 accumax. BADBULL signature load @ 56,302psi and 3369fps re17 next powder down on burn rate. Be careful and research. I have seen the same powder amt. used with a 350gr bullet and DI.

my rifle is a cva paramount. not intended for smokeless powder at all, however blackhorn 209 powder does produce pressure, how much i am not sure. i am being careful with re 7. also worth mentioning, I converted ignition system to direct ignition system from Jeff Hankins. He does not yet make a breech plug for the cva paramount. I threaded and trimmed the cva breech plug. Works great with no concerns of leakage.

Have you investigated and make sure that your barrel heat treat etc is sufficient for smokeless loads? Did CVA put enough into that barrel to run smokeless loads it sure looks like they did,, however looks can be deceiving. I think the Paramount with a new plug and a new barrel , a new priming system has potential,, if I was trying to shoot smokeless on the factory platform with an improved breach plug and I found a load with lower charges that was accurate I would stick with that load ,the only way I would push pressures and velocities would be with a new barrel. I'm a Paramount fan,, but I'm adamantly against the bore dimensions to shoot their bullet,, I think if I go smokeless with a Paramount I will only use their action and maybe their stock ,,barrel and plug need to be replaced.. I would be more concerned about blow uppage rather than leakage,, I am curious what is that 22 twist barrel doing how are your groups with that 325? Is your bore oversized are you having to knurl? I'm sure there are a lot of others experimenting with the Paramount like you are I'm sure right on the edge of it too I just want to make sure everything's safe, I've grown a little bit insecure with cva quality control in the last year. I would like to hear more about your project

Have you investigated and make sure that your barrel heat treat etc is sufficient for smokeless loads? Did CVA put enough into that barrel to run smokeless loads it sure looks like they did,, however looks can be deceiving. I think the Paramount with a new plug and a new barrel , a new priming system has potential,, if I was trying to shoot smokeless on the factory platform with an improved breach plug and I found a load with lower charges that was accurate I would stick with that load ,the only way I would push pressures and velocities would be with a new barrel. I'm a Paramount fan,, but I'm adamantly against the bore dimensions to shoot their bullet,, I think if I go smokeless with a Paramount I will only use their action and maybe their stock ,,barrel and plug need to be replaced.. I would be more concerned about blow uppage rather than leakage,, I am curious what is that 22 twist barrel doing how are your groups with that 325? Is your bore oversized are you having to knurl? I'm sure there are a lot of others experimenting with the Paramount like you are I'm sure right on the edge of it too I just want to make sure everything's safe, I've grown a little bit insecure with cva quality control in the last year. I would like to hear more about your project
Great questions, concerns, points, & post. Thanks brother

I did not know it was a Paramount and iirc we can't really talk about smokeless in these rifles marked (black powder or subs only) on this mb, weather or not it is able to do it then would not be relevant. I know some of them will but.

I did not know it was a Paramount and iirc we can't really talk about smokeless in these rifles marked (black powder or subs only) on this mb, weather or not it is able to do it then would not be relevant. I know some of them will but.

Correct! Absolutely no discussions allowed about running smokeless in a gun made for black powder or substitutes.

How heavy profile barrel? I found a trace done with IMR 4350 of 140gr and a 275 accumax. BADBULL signature load @ 56,302psi and 3369fps re17 next powder down on burn rate. Be careful and research. I have seen the same powder amt. used with a 350gr bullet and DI.
140 grn of smokeless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my rifle is a cva paramount. not intended for smokeless powder at all, however blackhorn 209 powder does produce pressure, how much i am not sure. i am being careful with re 7. also worth mentioning, I converted ignition system to direct ignition system from Jeff Hankins. He does not yet make a breech plug for the cva paramount. I threaded and trimmed the cva breech plug. Works great with no concerns of leakage.

The following data may give a general idea of how much pressure is produced with BH209, by looking at the data for loading cartridges.

Black Cartridge Data V9.10 (blackhorn209.com)

Guessing at pressure can be very expensive when you consider the cost of hospital bills these days.

You would be better off investing in a computer program like Quick Load, which will allow some calculations of the pressure produced with a given bullet weight and powder charge. It has helped me greatly and has been well worth the price.

The following data may give a general idea of how much pressure is produced with BH209, by looking at the data for loading cartridges.

Black Cartridge Data V9.10 (blackhorn209.com)

Guessing at pressure can be very expensive when you consider the cost of hospital bills these days.

You would be better off investing in a computer program like Quick Load, which will allow some calculations of the pressure produced with a given bullet weight and powder charge. It has helped me greatly and has been well worth the price.

Thank you for your post. Thats something I really need to get & learn learn learn.

Thank you for your post. Thats something I really need to get & learn learn learn.

I am not sure if the guy had a squib load and got a bullet stuck in the barrel on the previous round, or if he used the wrong powder, but he was very lucky the rifle was destroyed, and he was not injured.

This was an expensive mistake. It also took off the front of the scope. (338 Lapua)

Attachments

• burst barrel.jpg
    burst barrel.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 23
Looking at the Black cartridge data chart I noticed on the very bottom 50-90 71 grains by weight producing 27,610 psi. 71 grains by weight is about 100 grains by volume. CVA recommends for the paramount up to 170 grains by volume which is about 120 grains by weight. now can you please find somewhere information on how much pressure 120 grains of black horn 209 produces. Or should I just guess and double the 71 grains at 27,610 psi which would come out to about 55,000 psi.

Looking at the Black cartridge data chart I noticed on the very bottom 50-90 71 grains by weight producing 27,610 psi. 71 grains by weight is about 100 grains by volume. CVA recommends for the paramount up to 170 grains by volume which is about 120 grains by weight. now can you please find somewhere information on how much pressure 120 grains of black horn 209 produces. Or should I just guess and double the 71 grains at 27,610 psi which would come out to about 55,000 psi.

That kind of math does not work with smokeless powder. A small change in the amount of powder can cause the pressure to go up a great deal.

Please, Please, Stop what you are doing and get some help before you get hurt.

Then buy a copy of "Quick Load" and learn how to use it.

Or, find an expert who can help you.

I appreciate your concern for my safety. Hopefully after you read this that concern will not be as intense for you. I made my own recoil sled that clamps unto the stock near the recoil pad and the forearm of the stock rest on a "Y" that is adjustable up and down. The forearm is held down with a bungy cord attached to the sling bracket near end of stock. This recoil sled is bolted to a 3/8" thick steel table. The trigger is activated by a small syringe connected to a larger syringe by 1/8" hose. I do not touch the rifle at all upon discharge. I actually duck under the steel table for safety. If the rifle were to blow up, i feel much more protected with 3/8" steel plate between me and flying pieces of metal and high pressure hot gases. Plus the zero on bullseye is very stable and consistent. Call me a sissy all you want, however i am in my 60s and have shoulder issues. enough said. Now if I want to blow this gun up with out any regard to the financial cost involved, i have the freedom to choose that option.

Back