Real Blackpowder Testing soon to Come

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
This is something i have been wanting to do for myself, for awhile now, just haven’t gotten around to it. My interest is Velocity, and Accuracy Differences between these, I will be doing this in my Rice 1:20 Twist, and a Well Proven Bullet. All 4 Powders are 2F Grade. All Charges will be Weighed in Weight Grains to 1/10th of a Grain.

I also have a New Can of This Schutzen in 2F
https://www.buffaloarms.com/schuetzen-2-f-black-powder-sch2f
Goex Olde Eynsford 2F, Regular Goex 2F, Swiss 2F, and Schutzen 2F
jrAqA1L.jpg

I have used a lot of GOEX when I was doing Rondie events. It was a good powder until I discovered I could use T7 really well in my Renegades. Of the four you are testing - I am hoping that Swiss rises to the top.

Along with Stacey Porter’s Bullet yesterday, This Bullet did well in the Rice Also. This will probably be my Test Subject for the above, A little less Recoil is never a Bad thing :)

All Bullets will be Lubed with the Exact same Lube, from the Same Batch

My Accurate molds #45-412L, Cast of PURE Lead
RnB3Wnfm.jpg

Shot Yesterday 10/19/20, @ 55/60 Yards
Q1PCSox.jpg

I was going to do the same exact thing. Never got around to it. I was gonna throw Pyrodex Select RS into the mix also.
I bought the Schuetzen, Goex, and Swiss with that intent, all 2F.
Did not buy any Old Eynsford.
I am extremely interested in what you find out, if there’s much of a difference between the powders.
Amount of fouling left in the barrel was something else I was wondering about. I always thought black powder was so much dirtier than Pyro and 777. It really cleans up just as fast as either. I think the fouling of real black is a touch darker than 777, about the same as Pyro, and it doesn’t seem to leave any more crud behind. It’s just darker. Dirt has many colors.

What got me wanting to do that was last year I did an accuracy test with Pyro Select RS against Pyro P and Black MZ. Exact weighted charge, I mean EXACT weighted, 3 shot groups, based off of 80 gns volume.
I didn’t check velocity, but accuracy was not even close. Pyro Select and Pyro P clobbered Black MZ. There wasn’t enough difference to declare a winner of the Pyro’s. This was before I had real black powder. I actually bought it after watching you shoot with Swiss and out of curiosity in the accuracy between all of them.
I wish I had more time.....
Here’s the test I did if anyone is interested. I tried my best to be consistent, and I realize one round of testing doesn’t prove a lot but, the shots all felt good and I’m betting if I did it again, I’d get similar results. I’m also thinking it would be hard for me to get any grouping better than I got at 100 yards. I was shooting from a lead sled and my crosshairs were still “hovering” ever so slightly.

Latest posts

Back