Rebuilding Or Replacing Pedersoli's Queen Ann Pistol lock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Stines

Reaction score
Okay gunsmiths here's one for you to ponder. How would you rebuild Pedersoli's Queen Ann pistol ? The trigger pull is a bear and the cock needs better geometry. The screws seem a bit small and easily stripped. The frizzen wears out fairly quick. I was thinking about replacing the cock with a round faced casting and the frizzen that can be hardened to last. Maybe replace the frizzen spring ? Case harden and polish the lockplate?
Or maybe just replace all internals with small Siler or L&R internals ?
Your 2 cents worth ? Don't have one to play with now, just planning and plotting 😉

I bought one yesterday as my very first gun. I don't plan something as drastic as you do but I'm still very much in need of a lighter trigger spring as the one it comes with is way too heavy and my finger is sore after trying it for a few times. Any idea where I could get one that fits?

Okay gunsmiths here's one for you to ponder. How would you rebuild Pedersoli's Queen Ann pistol ? The trigger pull is a bear and the cock needs better geometry. The screws seem a bit small and easily stripped. The frizzen wears out fairly quick. I was thinking about replacing the cock with a round faced casting and the frizzen that can be hardened to last. Maybe replace the frizzen spring ? Case harden and polish the lockplate?
Or maybe just replace all internals with small Siler or L&R internals ?
Your 2 cents worth ? Don't have one to play with now, just planning and plotting 😉
Pete what i would do is get yourself an L&R lock as close to your original lock you may have to do a little inletting but it would be well worth it in the long run. Im not knocking your pistol but its one thing i have learn over the years those italian made flintlocks there locks are the first thing that goes they look good but there very poorly made they dont last i have done been through all that many years ago with these italian made flintlocks they look good and they have a high price on them and thats about the size of it. If i were you i would put an L&R lock on the pistol.

Pete what i would do is get yourself an L&R lock as close to your original lock you may have to do a little inletting but it would be well worth it in the long run. Im not knocking your pistol but its one thing i have learn over the years those italian made flintlocks there locks are the first thing that goes they look good but there very poorly made they dont last i have done been through all that many years ago with these italian made flintlocks they look good and they have a high price on them and thats about the size of it. If i were you i would put an L&R lock on the pistol.

I have to disagree. My grandpa has a collection of over 30 italian-made flintlocks and he shot all of them multiple times over the years. They all work perfectly to this day and all he ever had to replace was a single spring and a couple of screws (not including the flints of course). To say they are poorly made would just be wrong.
They might not be the best for shooting, especially when it comes to comfort, but nothing bad can be said about the manufacturing.

Last edited:
WOW! it sounds that the other shoe has / is going to drop.

I have to disagree. My grandpa has a collection of over 30 italian-made flintlocks and he shot all of them multiple times over the years. They all work perfectly to this day and all he ever had to replace was a single spring and a couple of screws (not including the flints of course). To say they are poorly made would just be wrong.
They might not be the best for shooting, especially when it comes to comfort, but nothing bad can be said about the manufacturing.
They are poorly made im not going to beat around the bush with you about it if you shoot once in awhile there ok but if you shoot alot and hunt alot and are a serious spotsman there no good . Every one i have worked on over the years has always been the lock i have been a professional gunsmith for 30 years i know what products is good out there and what is not if you like pedersoli`s thats fine thats your choice but you wont change my mind about them because i have seen to many of them with lock problems.

Back