Recipe for deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmhuntr

Reaction score
I upgraded to the .50 Cal Optima and plan on using 209 primer with Blackhorn powder. What round (brand as well as weight) do you recommend I start trying for deer?

Thanks in advance

I should have mentioned that I have CCI primers already so I was going to try those to start with if it will fit a recipe.

I’m right there with ToyTruck. I ended up at 100gr(V) but really liked the same XTP. Might also try Speer Deep Curl .452 300gr (labeled for .454 Casull). And MMP HPH/24 sabots worked very well in my Optima V2, but so did the black crushrib. Get a few different things and see what your gun likes. Mine shoots a variety of them well and hopefully yours will too.

there another thread like this one "load advice"
I have a Wolf and heres my story. I was looking for inexpensive terminal bullets. (see pic below)
Left GT Bullets Model: 44-255-hp-430 ($.17/ea) with a MMP sabot ($.19/ea) total $.36/ea/shot.
Middle GT Bullets Model: 44-305-HP-430 ($.19/ea) with a MMP sabot ($.19/ea) total $.38/ea shot.
Right GT Bullets Model: 45-70-385-HP-459 ($.26/ea) with MMP sabot ($.25/ea) total $.51/ea shot.
I order them to the size I want and no lube. There are other bullets there to choose from but these were my choices. If you order more than the minimum the shooting gets cheaper yet. They all shoot 2 1/2 inches at 100 yards but we have not tried to do better. Thats all the distance we can shoot.

If you have doubt about their performance on deer size game go to ronlaughlin bullet tests and that should ease your mind. I havent used the 385 yet on deer but figure its gotta work. I have a young man that hunts with me and he uses the 255 grain. Killed 2 this year. 1 DRT and one staggered about 40 yards then went flop with a blood trail Stevy Wonder could follow. I use the 305 and killed 3 this year. 2DRT and 1 staggered about 50 yards before flopping over. Same thing, didn't have to look for blood it was everywhere.

bullet pics2 002.JPG

What size are the TEZ Barnes? My .452 Deep curls would not fit without a major wrestling match in my CVA Accura. My rifle loves the Crush ribs though.

Fury Star Tip, Hornady Mono Flex, Barnes TEZ. In that order. Preferably with a Harvester Smooth sabot In a CVA

Greg

I had a bad experience with Barnes bullets 2 years ago. I'm sure their a good bullet but I'm shy of them. I went on an elk hunt n 2013 in a area that required non-lead bullets. This was a smokeless hunt and I was carrying one of my 338 win mags. Shooting 250 gr bullets. Anyhow never shooting game with a solid copper bullet before, I had a pocket full and the elk went down. Move on to 2018 I found this box of Barnes handloads that I had never killed anything with I was lazy and took them bear hunting. My bear came in 1/2 hr before dark and I dropped him at 60 yds. As I approached he got up and ran into thicket. I waded in after him and looked to my right. He was staring at me from 30 yards. I dropped him again ! As I got close he got up and bolted up a tree , already being shot in the chest and thru the shoulders he tried t climb a tree and I took him between he shoulders. He was lying at the base of the tree an dead I thought. As I walked up and poked him he started to get up ad try me again. Shot him thru the neck and end of story. With lead core bullets this is a 1 shot rifle. Never again will I shoot solid copper. My Barnes shot like fmj's. No blood shot or damage, just hole pokers.

What size are the TEZ Barnes? My .452 Deep curls would not fit without a major wrestling match in my CVA Accura. My rifle loves the Crush ribs though.
Did you do anything to your bore? My Accura V2 (30”) doesn’t shoot anything great. Just ok. The 250 grain Remingtons (pale green sabot) have shot the best so far. I’ve tried a grundle if bullets and sabot combos out of that gun. I shot some full bore lead conicals yesterday and was dragging lead shavings outa the barrel on the cleaning patch. I’ve only shot 90 and 100 grains V BH209 out of it with the exception of a 90 grain group and 100 grain group of 777 with a Hornady FPJ??? (the little full bore copper jacketed bullet with the hollow base) not sure it’s FPJ for sure. It’s FPB... I think they were 300’s

Fury 250 star tip 70 Gr by weight of blackhorn,, best load in my Acura mountain rifle, shot it in two other Acuras very accurate in the other two also. It has become the first load that I try in any 28 twist CVA that I will have in the future. Harvester Black Sabot.

Best time saver and cost saver I read in dialing in a CVA Accura or equal CVA 50 cal that came from a post on here. I don’t recall who posted it now.
Hornady FTX 44 265 gr and FTX 458 325 gr, Respective MMP sabots.
90 ~ 100 BH209.
I have validated in 7 various CVA’s.
Accurate and a game performer.

Back