Recoil hickey

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
385 grain Hornady Plains with a wad, 70 grains 3f Swiss and an 8 pound TC Hawken = Owwww...
She comes back right smart...
Once I composed myself, she put 5 into a group at 50 yards you can hide under a quarter. Did get some lead on the patches, but none stuck in the bore. This barrel only has 100 rounds through it.
Loading is fine until that top band. Needs a healthy wallop to get it past the crown. Then it rams tight, but not excessively so.
Must say, I'm impressed at this first outing. Might have to invest in a mold. I have some .54s to try and if they work as well, then my search for a full caliber may be over. Are .54 molds available?

That is why Idahoron put a recoil pad on his Hot Rod Hawken. That 1" octagon barrel in .54 caliber is the lightest permutation of a Hawken, and the crescent butt plate exaggerates felt recoil with heavy weight bullets.

Create a filler spacer for the hollow of the butt plate, and puchase a slip- on recoil pad.

The Hornady Great Plains Bullets are extruded not cast. There are similar Bullets that you can get molds for. Check out the Lyman plains at 400gr in .50 cal.
I shot the hornadys a long time then switched to the Lyman. Just as accurate n great on elk n whitetail. Ask Lewis about others

Oh man, I hear ya.
I shoot the Hornady GPB in 425 gr. in my TC renegade with 100 grns. of 2f. Not pleasant at all compared to shooting PRB. The lack of drop in a TC stock makes them quite a cheek slapper too.

Humm... Don't recall check slap from any of my 3 TCs. A Firehawk ( lovely rifle that one), a Renegade and my Hawken. Always liked a high comb. Rifle doesn't get a running jump before it belts you in the chops. Think Remington 760 with see through mounts, or an M91/30 sniper rifle.

Back