Recommeded Scope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLP

Reaction score
Hello: In the past I used a Leupold M8 6x scope. It has great eye relief but some of my shots are so close that I only see blurry hair......not the greatest situation when hunting deer. I wanted a lower power, so I purchased and mounted a Burriss E1 3-9X50 for $150; however. It does not have as much eye relief as the old Leupold and I keep getting randomly bit by the scope....no blood yet, but it does make me want to flinch. Any recommendations on a 3x9x50 or 4x12x50 with good eye relief? Been considering a Leupold Freedom, older used Leupold or Redfield Revolution/Revenge (manufactured by Leupold). Redfield name is now owed by Academy and they market the Rebel, but I think it is made in China and there isn't a lot of real world info on them yet. Open to other brands with lots of eye relief $350 or less. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

The Leupold freedom line has very very good glass for the money. Plenty of eye relief also.

I have settled on a Nikon Prostaff 4x32 on one of my MLs that needed longer eye relief. I know they dont make scopes anymore but i would buy another used one if i found it cheap enough. Works well for me out to 125 yards on an Optima ML pistol

Scope will be mounted on a Knight LK-93. Presently, I am using T/C Gorilla rings/bases, very strong; however it has almost zero adjustment flexibility. I found a universal Picatinny rail I'm going to try.....may have to cut the center section to allow access to breech, but should still have available mounting slots.

Tikka flat top bases fit the MK85. Might be able to find a 2 piece set like Talley with more than one slot

GM54-120: I have seen the EuroOptics listing for Diamondback HP; almost purchased but had a couple of questions: 1) Since Vortex has dropped the DBack HP, what replacement scope would they send if it failed? 2) Being a 42mm objective, what is the dawn/dusk capability? Seems like recently Vortex has been getting more and more bad reviews, but don't know how much faith to place in general on-line reviews. I am more trusting of peoples experiences on this forum.

Its limited production scope. They seem to do a small run each year. Notice..."Limited Distribution". This has been going on for quite a few years at places like MidwayUSA.
https://vortexoptics.com/diamondback-hp-3-12x42.html
People get WAY too hung up on OBJ size. Better lenses trump larger lenses. If you want better glass consider a Meopta Optika5 but the eye relief is not as generous. Kinda hard to find them in stock at most place atm.

I know what you mean about objective size....the old Leupold M8 fixed 6 power is a 40 or 42 and works almost as good as my older Leupolds with larger objectives for dawn/dusk. I had even talked w/ Leupold about changing the 6 to a 4 power, but that was a no-go.

I got a Razor HD LH with a 40mm. The glass is fairly hi end and really nice in low light. The glass itself walks all over my Sightron 42mm but that scope cost less than half as much too. Asking a sub $500-$800 scope to cover all the bases is rough. Asking that from a $350 scope is nearly impossible unless you luck out on closeout pricing.

Leupold does a pretty good job of it but the newer ones just dont impress me as much until you step up to a 5HD. Those are over $800 even on sale. I have not looked through a 3HD yet but they are not cheap either. I sure like the specs but not for the price they want. I did like the VX-3i scopes. Nice specs and they used to be "ok" priced.

If you can handle a 3.6" relief i dont think much in the $350 range will beat a Optika5 for light gathering. Meopta has made some great glass in the past and their upper end stuff is really good. I just think they are butt ugly scopes. :p

This is the version with side focus and Z-Plus reticle
https://cameralandny.com/shop/meopt...cdd5-0138-a7ac-00163ecd2826?variation=2779754

Keep in mind as a general rule of thumb the longer the eye relief is the less the field of view is.

Thats why im a huge fan of 2x for low on variables. They are typically over 50ft FOV at 100 yards even with nearly 4" of eye relief.

Meopta has made some great glass in the past and their upper end stuff is really good. I just think they are butt ugly scopes

One of my .30-06 rifles wears the Cabela's Meopta 3x9x42 scope. It's glass is easily the equal of high end Leupold glass. Too bad it is no longer produced.

Those were more or less rebranded MeoPros and the best deal ever on a scope. I saw them blow out for $200 and passed cuz i didnt need a 3-9.

In this price range, I like two scopes. Both of which have been recommend already. The Meopta Optika 5 and the Sightron STAC. Like GM54-120 said, the Meopta is hard to beat at the price point. I am using a Meopta Optika 6 this year during muzzleloading season and have been impressed with it's low light performance. Sightron is good as well, just limited in offerings. The Sightron STAC is a good scope, but wish Sightron would come out with more offerings for the hunter. You cannot go wrong with either!

I'm considering the Diamondback HP or Viper HS 2.5X10. I'm hoping they gather enough light for hunting, both have mixed reviews on this.

Back