recommendation for Knight .50 paper patch bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
OK. you guys are a bad influence on me. I promised myself I dont need another new hobby but I have to admit I have always been interested in paper patching. I have even been accumulating lead while denying that I need this new hobby. Alas I give in, Ill quit next week

1. My first choice would be a bullet mold???? I have a .50 knight Elite and have converted to bare primer. If possible I would like to shoot a round nose of pure lead. A mold design to give me the greatest possibility of success. Some of these things may be contradictory. So point me down a path.

I am aware of the onion skin paper, template for cutting patches. Watched Lewis' videos.

Do I need a sizer die???????? Which one.

FYI I have loaded center fire and hunted with MZ for 35-40 years so Im not a rookie when it comes to guns. But the PP thing and molding is all new.

The molding thing will take practice.

Help me feed the need. :D

You got to remember Knights bores are larger than some, being that I was going to suggest a mold in .493 and should wrap to .501. I'll leave weight up to you But I have shot 600 and 650 grain in PP but twist was , 1-24
It shot good enough that Bestill called it Thunder
It was similar to shooting 50-90 , shot 1 1/2 Swiss. some of first 50 Sharps shot around a 473 grain bullet, because barrel twist was slower.

Thank you 45-70. I think about 450 - 550 grains would be the ball park. I was hoping a few more people would chime in and get a little more techy for me. Maybe name a specific mold and lead/alloy mix to use.

Thank you 45-70. I think about 450 - 550 grains would be the ball park. I was hoping a few more people would chime in and get a little more techy for me. Maybe name a specific mold and lead/alloy mix to use.
The paper chosen should be the size difference between the bullet chosen and actual bore dimension . The mold you look at should be specified for pure lead /+or minus tolerance .See Lewis post on ordering molds from Accurate Molds ,every thing you need to know is explained in his post . Actual size as cast = 2 wraps of paper gets you finished bullet with paper selected / Ed

Latest posts

Back